PDA

View Full Version : hmmm...haven't hunted yet (woe)

brazen
11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, I looked at a bird today, while working, I imagined I had it sighted in, I was aiming for its head, I think it could have been a clean shot, but I was standing, I didn't have anything to support my arm, and also I identified it as not a game bird anyway, and I didn't have a firearm and all this reverie was in the city no less.

I wonder how long until I will be able to tell a hunting story, and eat something.

/waiting for the winds to whisper to me/

Morel
11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
What is stopping you from heading out? Look at some maps, the regs and HBC, get the paperwork, get a bow or firearm pick a date and go. If you don't have a car, find a friend to drive. If you are a youth, find someone to take you. If you want to go badly enough you will find a way.

bearhunter338-06
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I have been out once or twice to look for a grouse or two. With recovering from surgery I have limited my time afield this year to just truck hunting for grouse.

I am sending out a warning to all 4 legged animals next year will be a completely different story, as new friends and plans are in the works.

brazen
11-03-2011, 05:46 AM
I have everything I need now, except experience, and the snow is starting to do its thing, which may or may not limit my pleasure/altitude, not sure yet. But I need more target practice, and I need more time! Work long hours, and there are NOT enough weekends in a season!!

One thing that concerns me is this: Still hunters appreciate silence. Suppose I get to an area. Haven't BC hunters worked out some type of alert call to let each other know where they are lurking in the bush, without startling any game??? I doubt I'd ever accidentally shoot anybody, but I don't want to wreck someone's perfect spot either. I also don't want to get shot at myself, I've seen who takes these hunting courses...I'm sticking to the blaze orange...

But I used to hunt mushrooms, which had me covering a lot of ground really slowly, and once a deer hunter had to come all the way down out of his tree stand and walk toward me, silently, to get me to go away. Another time I was under a tree stand and completely freaked when I looked up and saw another fellow staring down at me.

So how do you guys not piss each other off out there??? ???

coach
11-03-2011, 08:12 AM
You're only going to figure some of this stuff out by going, brazen. Nothing wrong with blaze orange if it makes you more comfortable. The best suggestion I can give is to find a mentor who has experience and can teach you the ropes. Don't let a few guys stories about overcrowded hunting areas turn you off. Where do you live? Maybe you can connect with someone on this site.

brazen
11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
coach, I'm around that district west of kelowna, I am hooking up here and there but think I'd be a kind of a pain to have along for a serious hunter at this point, and it's just hard to coordinate too. I'll get out there, someone told me every 7 years is slow for grouse and hares anyway, this being year 7 or thereabouts....of course, dude who said that is taking next week off to go hunting... I was also waiting for a chance for the local toyota guy to get some seals on a 4wd I picked up before slapping on the winter tires anyway. I've run the teenager up bear lake for perch before and made it back on time for school, so, maybe it's just me and lack of confidence more than lack of time...thanks, I feel I'm getting closer.

coach
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Pm me your number. I'm tagged out on mulies. If be willing to show you a good spot and help you learn the ropes - provided you have a license and tags.

Grousedaddy
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Brazen why are you so scared to go hunting? Do you honestly think its like ww2 or something out there and your going to get shot at?? You are bot ready for this mentaly by the sounds of it and i recomend you see a shrink to help with the paranoia

Morel
11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
You're only going to figure some of this stuff out by going, brazen. Nothing wrong with blaze orange if it makes you more comfortable. The best suggestion I can give is to find a mentor who has experience and can teach you the ropes. Don't let a few guys stories about overcrowded hunting areas turn you off. Where do you live? Maybe you can connect with someone on this site.

x2
This is my first year hunting and my first trips were solo. Coach is right, you just need to get out, going with someone experienced is best but if that is not an option right now then you may need to go solo. It is great that you are being considerate of other's hunting spots so keep your eyes open - hopefully getting to know an area will help avoid this problem.

I decided to start small and for my first hunts just went for grouse by walking logging roads. I read everything I could find on grouse and watched just about every video on youtube (twice in most cases). When I had questions that evaded my research, I asked the folks on HBC and got a lot of good feedback. They really are a great group. I also did a lot of research using google maps and government of Canada topo maps that can be downloaded for free. The map website is a little difficult to navigate at first but they have a huge number of resources most of which are free (http://geogratis.gc.ca/geogratis/en/index.html). I picked a spot where it was legal to hunt but close enough to where I live (LML) that I could do a day trip and proceeded to research the hell out of the area. Putting boots on the ground with the specific purpose of grouse hunting taught me a lot. When I got back and had a bunch of questions, I posted them on HBC and got a lot of great responses (back to the maps, reading and videos). The first trip I did not get anything but the second and third to the same area were successful, I even saw some deer which has made me re-consider deer hunting this year.
It has paid off for me to get to know an area with multiple trips. It might be hard to find the time, but even if you don't get an animal hopefully you will have learned something.

I have also connected with one of the HBC folks at the rifle range. Got chatting during ceasefire, hay you on HBC etc? This was during the summer and we arranged some scouting and a hunting trip this fall.

Good luck.

coach
11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Great post, Morel.

Morel
11-03-2011, 11:54 PM
so, maybe it's just me and lack of confidence more than lack of time...thanks, I feel I'm getting closer.

It is normal to lack confidence about something you have never done before. The question becomes, will you let the lack of confidence keep you from doing something you want to do? The funny thing about confidence is that it comes with experience, experience comes from trying something new. Often the first time you try something new you will not be successful, "such is life" but hopefully you will still learn something and in the process gain confidence because of the knowledge you have earned.

Being too philosophical, go hunting with coach, time for me to go to bed.
Cheers

brazen
11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
I know, Morel - I been following you lol! It was your grouse post I was going to jack, reading it wistfully I posted this thread instead. Coach - I am not ready for big game, I have only my .22 for now. I will go uphill this weekend and see what happens.

Morel
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Great! Watch your backstop with the .22 - they can go a long way. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Cheers

wsm
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
periodically we do piss each other off. but just remember when dealing with another hunter show some kindness, and respect. it will go a long way. and karma can be a bitch. when we are out there , if a serious problem arises and help is needed for whatever reason, in almost every circumstance other hunters are the first ones to offer help . confidence will come with time .

coach
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Sounds good, Brazen. The offer is good anytime. I may know where there's a few grouse too.

brazen
11-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm going to 8-8, 8-11, and 3-12. Gonna spin the dial when I get there.

brazen
11-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Ok so I went. I learnt sighting in that I need to peep down 16 clicks for high velocity hp, I learnt there's a bridge missing on an FSR that should go around the hill I wanted to climb, I learnt my old Kumho ATs don't mind a few powder plops, I didn't see but a squirrel ALL DAY, some snowy footyprints I'll have to do homework to identify, followed a coyote all the way up the road, turns out although I never saw him he must have seen me - left a little note near my truck explaining the menu in those parts. I left him some of my water. I had fun anyway and got some smokes rolled for next week. Also realized I can only buddy up with other smokers, have a cough...and rain pants are real noisy.

What makes a sound like whacking a stick against a tree? Basically once or twice every odd number of minutes, for more than a half hour, heard this around sundown?

Have to look up sundown/sunset/dusk/... waited around my fated area till near dark, though sounds got more interesting, never saw anything. :( No longer worried about other hunters, could have heard any of you coming an hour away...nobody there at all. Some distant gunfire, but not up that road.

I'm started. !!

Morel
11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you had a good day.

Still keep an eye out for other hunters and watch your backstop. I have been into areas one day and thought there was no way you could get a truck in, the next time there comes a truck driving up the road.

Not sure about the sounds. More experienced hunters may have a better idea.

For sunrise sunset times try http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/sunrise-sunset/angle-calculator.html