PDA

View Full Version : Any bull leh question

Gateholio
11-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Male calf in any bull leh. Legal or not? Does it fall into the "antlerless" category?

killman
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Does it have antlers? if not its anterless...

ROEBUCK
11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
As far as i know it sais any bull
so should be fine

MuleyMadness
11-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Not sure as far as the semantics goes, but calves are covered in the Cow/Calf draws, so I do not believe they would be included in the any bull draws. Again I see where you are coming from on a semantics point, but that doesn't change the fact that calves are already included in the other draws...so the question is, can an LEH animal be available on two separate types of draws?

jag
11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I believe it would be classed as a "male calf" and unless there is a "calf" season and it is open, I'd let it walk.
That's how I read it in the regs. but I could be wrong.

Steeleco
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Not sure as far as the semantics goes, but calves are covered in the Cow/Calf draws, so I do not believe they would be included in the any bull draws. Again I see where you are coming from on a semantics point, but that doesn't change the fact that calves are already included in the other draws...so the question is, can an LEH animal be available on two separate types of draws?

And some say the regs just need reading and are clear enough. BULL @#$%

eastkoot
11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
It's in the regs under the definition of "bull". It must have visible bony antlers. That excludes calves because the have little hairy knobs/nubs, not bony antlers. It has no bony antlers so it's a calf and anterless.

Antlerless Animal - means a member of
the deer family bearing no visible antlers. The
small skin or hair covered protuberances of
male fawns and calves do not constitute antlers

Buck or Bull - with reference to deer, moose,
or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers.
Buck or Bull - with reference to caribou, means
a male one year of age or older, bearing visible bony antlers.

Whonnock Boy
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
No, definitely not considered a bull. Just went over this with a local from Smithers. He said a 'Nubbin' bull was legal in the any bull season, and I did not. Three definitions in the regs covers this, as well as a talk with the local CO up in Smithers confirmed it.

Antlered Animal - means a member of the
deer family over one year of age bearing visible
bony antlers.

a male one year of age or older, bearing visible
bony antlers.

ianwuzhere
11-02-2011, 06:55 PM
does it have antlers? If not its anterless...

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomahawk
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
It's in the regs under the definition of "bull". It must have visible bony antlers. That excludes calves because the have little hairy knobs/nubs, not bony antlers. It has no bony antlers so it's a calf and anterless.

There's your answer, end of question!

krazy
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
calf with visible bone = bull, else = not bull ... no bull!

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Antlerless Animal

- means a member of

Buck or Bull

- with reference to deer, moose,

Your LEH is for "bull only", not "any bull."

And specifically:

Calf

- means a moose, elk or caribou less than
twelve (12) months of age.

Calf Moose

- a moose less than 12 months

of age usually less than 5 feet at shoulder height
weighing 200-300 lbs.

Gateholio
11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Fun times on the Intraweb!!! :)

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
lo'z ... best thread ever ..... potentially.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyP3xkk5yQHyJ_MKa8VhfJnE-OfL0lCQl5YgRFDLVw6OeakMRRWA

Whonnock Boy
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=SimilkameenSlayer;1009436]lo'z ... best thread ever ..... potentially.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering why Gatehouse would ask a question like this, especially being that he is, from my understanding a seasoned veteran. :-D Were you having a debate with a fellow hunter Gatehouse?

I found it interesting that when I was up in Smithers, I had somewhat of a lengthy discussion with a fellow hunter on this topic. He was quite convinced that he was correct, even stating that a hunting partner had shot a 'Nubbin' bull a year or two ago. When I told him that I had seen a young bull, he shook his head asking why I didn't shoot it. I am sure it happens quite often, probably mostly locals. Throw them in the truck, and hang them in the barn. :-D

Gateholio
11-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't even have a moose LEH :)

Jelvis
11-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Hard to tell a calf moose from a yearling moose in the wilds unless a calf is standing by a big cow.
It's relative My dear Watson. Calf bull or calf cow is small in comparison to an adult moose.
A yearling is almost three quarters the size of it's mom.
It is difficult to judge at a distance especially and hunters need good optics and should wait to see a comparison in size with an adult moose.
Jp .. More gun ..

Gateholio
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Gilmore and his dad have a moose LEH. We saw a few cows with calves, then we were wondering if ta male calf fell under the LEH or it needed an inch of bone on it's head. None of us were 100% sure, and since the calf as about a km away while we were having this discussion, it was never in danger. :)

steel_ram
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
A bull or buck by regulations is over one year old bearing visible boney antlers, however in a any bull/buck zone, there is no reason you can't turf the head and use the attached nuts as proof of sex.

betteroffishing
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
just wait till dana and the hbc saints get ahold of you for darring to ask hunting regulation type questions on a site full of hunters on the internet .

sincerely betteroffreadingtheregsinsteadofaskingstupidquesti onsontheinternet

Gateholio
11-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Oddly, none of us happened to have a copy of the regs in our pockets when we were having this conversation.

besides, we figured it would be good for a few pages of entertainment on HBC ;)

Steeleco
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Leave the boys attached cut the noggin off, done deal LOL

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Leave the boys attached cut the noggin off, done deal LOL

And highly illegal.

steel_ram
11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
And highly illegal.

Why? The regulation for proof of sex requires "either" not both head and antlers or nuts. Yeah, it's probably illegal but once it's on the hwy. who's going to argue? Just for arguments sake BTW.

Gateholio
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure neon of us are interested in playing loophole games and trying to trick CO's...

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Why? The regulation for proof of sex requires "either" not both head and antlers or nuts. Yeah, it's probably illegal but once it's on the hwy. who's going to argue? Just for arguments sake BTW.

Because it's a calf moose and not what the tag is for, which is a bull moose. When the CO sees a moose the size of a deer in your truck, he's gonna slap ya.

reach
11-03-2011, 09:43 PM
A bull or buck by regulations is over one year old bearing visible boney antlers, however in a any bull/buck zone, there is no reason you can't turf the head and use the attached nuts as proof of sex.
Except for the part where it says "antlers must accompany the species license" for bull moose...