PDA

View Full Version : calve moose open season question

NEEHAMA
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
i'm going along with some friends on a moose hunt. calves and immatures are open. i'm not really sure if i could shoot a calve. belive me i want someone to shoot one in our camp as we share the meat. i think i could shoot one if i was sure the cow would just leave (like a deer). however i hear some scary stores about the cow hanging around etc. how many of you have seen this? if it's really rare then i will try to plink one. if from your guy's feedback i hear it's often that the cow will charge or worse try to get the calve up (making me cry..lol) , i think i'll pass? any input would be great.
should i pass or shoot?

Ozone
09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Shoot but be wearing your running shoes.:lol: :lol:

plumbob
09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with ozone as I've had some experiance with this,and they usually just don't leave.If they do watch your back as they come back.

PGKris
09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Shoot but be ready for it. It's about 60-40 in favour of getting charged.

Schmaus
09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
I've hammered a couple of calves and the mother only took off on one of them. The others never really gave any problems but they didn't leave right away.

Bow Walker
09-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I've hammered a couple of calves and the mother only took off on one of them. The others never really gave any problems but they didn't leave right away.
Ditto - I shot a calf and momma moved off about 50 yds. Moved off - not ran off. She stayed there for about 20 minutes, then disappeared. I was wishing that I had a cow tag.

todbartell
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
buy some beef

jessbennett
09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
you may have to be prepared for a bit of a charge or two. ive had to fire a shot in the air and dirt before, usually the cow takes off after that though. bring a dog..... they can usually keep eachother company for a while..:lol: had a buddies dog and a cow moose dancing together a couple of years back. that poor dog was getting tapdanced all around him.... :wink: honestly its a little hard to deal with but its up to you. them calves doo taste good though......mmmmmmmmmmm

Jelvis
09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
The most dangerous animal, a cow moose in defence of her young, will charge and use her front sharp hooves to slash out and rake your face right off. This is not a made up story, believe it or not?

moosecaller
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Shoot the calf but as it has been mentioned here be prepared. I have experienced both cows that walked away and others have come at me it will get your attention real quick. If you can try to drag the calf off a few yards before you get to work on it, and have another set of eyes watching your back! A dog does work well my lab saved my bacon a few years back and she has had my gratitude ever since.

mark
09-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Ive shot a couple immatures (forkers) where momma was still around. Shot 1 in the head and dropped it from far away, momma was standing over him trying to get him up. That was pretty sad. When i was gutting him (alone) she snuck up on me about 10 yards behind me. With my rifle shouldered i managed to scare her off again, but i guess i was close to dying that day myself. So ya watch yer back!

Fisher-Dude
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Shoot a real moose. Leave the babies alone. :biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
But they're ooooooohhhh so tender and yummy!!:smile:

SSS

mikek blacktail
09-22-2006, 04:44 AM
shot two calves one no problem the other was at dusk and every five minute the cow would charge us but never came mor than 25 yrds it was worth the tender yummie calf meat.

NEEHAMA
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
"rake your face right off" - quote that's funny!! that's some good stuff.

i think i'm going to make someone else shoot the younglings. i'll look for the immature bull. thanks again guy's.

Awishanew
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I shot a fork horn bull that was still with the cow and she she stood about 25 yds as I was opening it up. I was by myself and almost dark when I finished also she was between me and my canoe. I had to fire a shot right between her ears and she hardly blinked. we were only 15 yds apart by then. It was quite a standoff but eventualy she moved over to let me get into the canoe.