PDA

View Full Version : bait stations

wsm
11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
i have been reading about bait stations a bit lately on here and am wondering how you would keep the bears away. because if the bears came into the station the deer, etc probably would not . what do u use as bait?
just my thoughts. imagine going into your station and a blackie is there or depending where u live maybe a griz?

fireguy
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
On my trail cam at my "bait station" I have been taking pictures of black bears since I put it up in August. Recently the bear activity has decreased and the deer activity has increased. I checked it last night and of the 200 plus new photos there was a few bears on it but mostly deer and mostly does up to now. I had a doe and 2 fawns come in while I was checking the pictures and ran into a sow and 2 cubs about 100 yards away after that. At mine, they both come in as well as a coyote once but seem to come in at different times.
Had I been a few min later the sow and cubs probably would have been there, I knew they were coming in so not a big deal to see them and I don't mind seeing them either, thats part of the reason I go out hunting, to see lots of different animals.

wsm
11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I knew they were coming in so not a big deal to see them and I don't mind seeing them either, thats part of the reason I go out hunting to see lots of different animals.fair enough if u know whats comming to your station u shouldn't be to supprised... so what are u using as bait?

fireguy
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Just a pile of salt randomly dumped in the bush with a camera pointed at it.

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
use as trailcam with a salt lick then you have a bait staition for not only what likes the salt but what also likes to eat what likes the salt.

kinda a predator bait station once removed .