PDA

View Full Version : region 6 deer help! "kitimat area"

CRjosh
11-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody could help shed some light on deer hunting opportunities close to Kitimat. I relocated to the area for my spouses work just at the end of summer and have unfortunately had to leave all my normal hunting grounds behind :( . Without any real chances to get to know the area before the season started and with the end coming closer, this season is shaping up to be a major dissapointment. I was wondering if any body could help me with somewhat of a starting point in wich to start (for everywhere I've tried so far has been a bust!) Mind you I'm not digging for "secret spots," and I know they're "in the bush!" I'm just needind a little direction to hopefully salvage whats left of the season. Thanks for your time... CRjosh

griz325
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I know the onion lake area use to be decent and are out back of the Terrace airport but thats been years and not sure what it's like now,with not a lot of loggig in that area.Road trip to smithers area are the hiada island QCI

CRjosh
11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
finally got one!

Skeena
11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Way to go. Did you get it in today's blizzard?

Cheers

gerrygoat
11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
finally got one!

Need a story and pics :)

CRjosh
11-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Yes got it in todays blizzard, and will create new story with pic if I can figure this picture posting out!

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
You're mostly in moose country now. Better deer hunting in the Smithers, Bulkley Valley region a couple hours east. I hunted up there several years ago when I had family in Terrace. Never saw a single deer, just lots of moose. Moose was the reason I went up there! Lots of goat in your region too btw.

gerrygoat
11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
You're mostly in moose country now. Better deer hunting in the Smithers, Bulkley Valley region a couple hours east. I hunted up there several years ago when I had family in Terrace. Never saw a single deer, just lots of moose. Moose was the reason I went up there! Lots of goat in your region too btw.

Up til about 4-5 years ago I was seeing more deer than moose then some bad winters came and the wolves really hammered them. Moose and deer populations are pretty low here but the good news is there are lots of goats, bears and fish. It would be nice to take out a few more wolves.

CRjosh
11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
There sure are a lot of wolves here alright . I've seen more in the past month than I've ever seen before and thats also spending the last 15 years logging being in the bush almost every day!
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/053.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/052.jpg

gerrygoat
11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Make sure you take a few out when you see them, BCbillies and I looked for goats in one of our favorite spots on Sunday a couple of wolves were after a goat that went a bit to far from the cliffs but it appeared he made it to safety before they caught up to him. Bagging a wolf is pretty tough since they are such smart animals. BTW is that a 280 Remington with a 165 factory round nose?

CRjosh
11-10-2011, 10:52 AM
It sure is a 280 165 ! I jumped a big pack last week, burst through some alders on the road and they were running everywhere. If the brush wasnt so thick I probably could have got some. I've been thinking that wolf hunting gonna be my new hobby! Saw this one when out exploring just after we got here in aug. Pic didnt turn out to good .but it was the first time I'd ever seen one stand around long enough to get a quick snapshot!
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/008.jpg

CRjosh
11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
This pic is a bit better
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/007.jpg

gerrygoat
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
A good friend of mine shoots a 280 and has used that bullet before we started handloading for him, they worked well for him on bears and moose. In the last couple of years I have almost gotten wolves but had the same heavy brush problem you mentioned.

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Wolves... getsum! Too bad about the moose and deer pops... you sure it's just the wolves and bad winters?

gerrygoat
11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
With the deer it is mostly wolves and heavy snow, the moose have other issues as well but please lets not go down that road here.