PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunting 3-31 this year?

JIL_24/7
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Heading up next week for a few days looking for mules and spike-fork moose. Wondering if anyone's having any success out 3-31 way. Forecast calls for snow next week, that should help, right? Let me hear your encouraging stories!

NIHunter
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
my group tagged out on mulies this year 5 guys but all spikers but nice spot for sure where u camping at ?

JIL_24/7
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
We got a place over by Big Barr Lake, but I have been told we shouldn't go because the season is over up there. Does anyone think it's too late to go up there? I only get one shot so I don't want to waste the little time I have. We will be going Nov. 9-13 or so. Do we have a decent shot or should we be looking elsewhere?

JIL_24/7
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm really hoping someone in here can give me some good advice concerning the area and whether or not it is too late in the year to hunt in the area. Anyone with any insight/experience regarding the Clinton area in November? I know it's 4 point or better and spike-fork only, but can they be had or have they all moved out as I have been told?

brig
11-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Last year we hunted the Clinton area in both October and November. We were told all the deer move out of the area towards the end of October but we still found a fair amount of deer higher up in the second week of November. There definitely wasnt as many as in October but there's still resident deer that hang around and don't migrate

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Its not too late to go as the rut is in full swing at that time,however I dont think that area is as good as it use to be .There are lots of wolves all along the Jesmond to Big Bar.The big fire wiped out a lot of good areas near your hunting destination.You have to explore and find your own areas.I suggested the Christian Valley because the whitetail deer numbers are insane there.

Steve W
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Was in there last year in the third week of Nov. About 6" of snow and the deer hunting was good. Not sure how it would have been without the snow. It can be busy. Saw some nice deer, but nothing huge.

xcaribooer
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
got a decent LEH bull moose there 3 weeks ago. deer seemed pretty scarce though.. I did hear of one spike fork sighting ...good luck

JIL_24/7
11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I would really like to go to 3-31 as someone local has been very gracious to have me come to their place, but my partner and my ride is concerned about finding any mules or moose to shoot so he wants to head over to Christian Valley/Rock Creek for whitetail. I know that in October the mules are still up in the marbles and with the little snowfall in the area I would think they wouldn't have come down until it starts snowing which it is supposed to next week. Do the deer all leave to rut elsewhere? I like the idea of being able to hunt for moose and mules whereas down south it is just whitetail now with more pressure I am sure. Is there really a better chance at getting something in region 8? I need some help convincing my partner to head to 3-31 :)

Banjo
11-02-2011, 01:03 PM
was there in Mid October and two of us tagged out on mulies. We also saw lots of other moving around bucks chasing does and does following bucks. Don't think you'll find moose where the deer are and deer where the moose are so take your pick. Also, be damn sure you know at all times whether or not you are on crown land or not as there is a lot of private and leased grazing areas which are a no no to shoot in and the ranchers up there have the co's on spead dial and get quick responses to violations.

Been hunting the area for 20 years so pm me with the spot you'll be at and i'll try to steer you somewhere if you want help.

JIL_24/7
11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Haven't really figured out what to do yet. If anyone else has some info/advice I would be grateful. I don't need spots per say as I have a local guy to help me out if I go, but I'm more curious as to availability of game up there this time of year.

shed-hunter1
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
you might have to work for it now spend 80 percent of my hunting in 3-31

JIL_24/7
11-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Anyone been out in 3-31 this week? Anyone confirm movement on deer? I find it hard to believe that ALL the mules up in the marbles just leave, but maybe that's the case. If they do move down do they typically move out towards Jesmond or towards Big Bar Lake? Thanks.

Banjo
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
they definitely winter down by the river. I was chatting with the ferry operater and he said in the winter he see's herds of 100-150 deer. Also said they (and the sheep) routinely cross the river from the west to get at the OK's vegetation. Can't hunt down there though without permission...