PDA

View Full Version : Kuskwa River (below the bridge)

Ridgeback Fan
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Has anyone on here got crazy and tried to canoe the Kuzkwa from the Leo Creek Bridge down to the Tachie. It looks like it there are a few nasty log jams on Google Earth, but all the oxbows and bends in the river look pretty moosey too.

The trip from Tezzeron to the bridge is easy but, the river looks totally different below the bridge.

Rotors
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
It can't be done, log jams are to thick.

Ridgeback Fan
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
It can't be done, log jams are to thick.

Sounds like a challenge! Should be worth a six pack or two if I pull it off ... if I make it out without throwing my back out hauling the boat over the logs.

sakohunter
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
If I recall correctly the Kuskwa comes out at or around Grand rapids, there is an active Native village there and they hunt the big river quite heavily. Haven't been there quite sometime but as i recall it is Nasty period. If you get in trouble (No cell reception) search and rescue will have a hell of a time to bail you out. Plan properly and be prepared for everything. Good luck!

Ridgeback Fan
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
If I recall correctly the Kuskwa comes out at or around Grand rapids, there is an active Native village there and they hunt the big river quite heavily. Haven't been there quite sometime but as i recall it is Nasty period. If you get in trouble (No cell reception) search and rescue will have a hell of a time to bail you out. Plan properly and be prepared for everything. Good luck!

I think you are thinking of a different river. The Kuskwa I am talking about comes out on the Tachie River near the Tachie Reserve north west of Ft. St. James. If I go, I will have a SPOT at the very least and likely a sat phone, both on me, not in the boat. However, I think Rotors is right. there are just too many log jams. Late in the year, I don't think there would be too many concerns with flow volume and getting sucked under a jam, but I think I would spend two days hauling a boat over logs as opposed to hunting and paddling.

Thanks for your concern.

Rotors
11-07-2011, 02:19 PM
You would be making so much noise hauling your boat over, around through log jams that there would be no game within many km of that river, I have seen it from the air, it aint pretty.

Also Sakohunter is correct, the Kuskwa does come out at Grand Rapids where the natives have a few cabins, the Tachie River doesn't get hunted that hard but definitely gets hunted, I have seen game on the river but its not abundant for moose, you would have better luck paddling a bigger calmer river. More hunting, less surviving is always better.

Sitkaspruce
11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Yup

it is one nasty trip, log jams, canyon and class IV and V water.

And if you did do it and di find a moose, you had better bring the knives, forks and plates, cause you will be there a long time.

The village there is just a couple cabins and the owners are hardly ever there. The Tachie is fun, but not many animals on it. As Rotors says, go paddle the Middle river for an easier time.

Cheers

SS