PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

onpoint
11-01-2011, 06:36 AM
So my buddy and I were out hunting this weekend and came across something that I would consider disturbing. We were in a cutblock and came across a pretty professionally set-up grain/corn feeding tube and trail cam in a small clearing. The feeding (baiting) station had definitely taken some time to set-up and put together and the trail cam was mounted a good 30 yards off from it. Someone had put some serious time into setting it up. This was a decent distance off the spur road we'd used to access the cutblock so there was no way anyone would know it was there. Does the ministry have these sorts of things randomly set-up to track populations and movement?? Or is this likely someone's baiting station?? Would you call it in to RAPP or the CO's?? Or would you give the guy the benefit of the doubt and think "he just wants to know whats out there"?? If this was the spring or summer I could maybe see that side of it but this was just this past weekend. Fine line in my mind! Interested to hear everyone's opinion on this. My initial thought when I saw it was to stand right in front of the trail cam and put a couple slugs from the bear gun into the feeder and then the cam but decided against it as I wasn't sure if there might be an honest reason for the whole set-up????

TimberPig
11-01-2011, 06:41 AM
So my buddy and I were out hunting this weekend and came across something that I would consider disturbing. We were in a cutblock and came across a pretty professionally set-up grain/corn feeding tube and trail cam in a small clearing. The feeding (baiting) station had definitely taken some time to set-up and put together and the trail cam was mounted a good 30 yards off from it. Someone had put some serious time into setting it up. This was a decent distance off the spur road we'd used to access the cutblock so there was no way anyone would know it was there. Does the ministry have these sorts of things randomly set-up to track populations and movement?? Or is this likely someone's baiting station?? Would you call it in to RAPP or the CO's?? Or would you give the guy the benefit of the doubt and think "he just wants to know whats out there"?? If this was the spring or summer I could maybe see that side of it but this was just this past weekend. Fine line in my mind! Interested to hear everyone's opinion on this. My initial thought when I saw it was to stand right in front of the trail cam and put a couple slugs from the bear gun into the feeder and then the cam but decided against it as I wasn't sure if there might be an honest reason for the whole set-up????

It is perfectly legal to bait many species of game. So long as he is not considered to be feeding dangerous wildlife, hunting bears or migratory game birds over the bait site, he is legal.

OOBuck
11-01-2011, 06:44 AM
You need to sit down and read the reg's feeding ungulate is perfectly legal in BC.

onpoint
11-01-2011, 06:47 AM
If its legal I stand 100% corrected. Can you tell me where in the regs it says this??

onpoint
11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
And I should add glad I didn't do something to the feeding station.

BiG Boar
11-01-2011, 06:55 AM
read the through the whole regs. It only says what you can't bait. You can't bait waterfowl and bears, but other than that, game on.

However I would still call RAPP and report yourself for almost interfering with someones hunt.

boxhitch
11-01-2011, 06:58 AM
However I would still call RAPP and report yourself for almost interfering with someones hunt.Hahahhaha thanks D !

uraarchr
11-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Turn yourself in for even having those thoughts!

west250
11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Might as well set up near the bait station and see for yourself what comes in for a snack. If you get something nice they'll have some great pictures for you.

onpoint
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks Big Boar, I just went through them again and noticed exactly what you said. And if you want to call me in I will happily PM you my contact info. At the end of the day I didn't interfere with someone's hunt. I disagree ethically with this method but if its legal, fine its legal and whoever has that set-up still has their feeding station intact and in good working order. I ask on here for the very reason that I wasn't sure what to do and as you'll notice in my initial post even wondered if this was OK for a reason I didn't know. Its also legal to use certain lighter cartridges on animals such as moose or elk that I wouldn't consider ethical except in perfect shooting situations but its legal. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. As I said, I'm glad I asked.

.330 Dakota
11-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Turn yourself in for even having those thoughts!

Yes you must turn yourself in for those unlawfull thoughts..."comrade"..lol

SimilkameenSlayer
11-01-2011, 07:16 AM
i can see how a person reads the regs and misreads them.
you are not the first or the last to do that. most of us have misunderstood or misinterpreted the regs at some time in our hunting lives.

Brian011
11-01-2011, 07:46 AM
There is a good reply to a letter to the editor about ethics of baiting in the new "Big Buck" magazine, I thought it was a good article for those o you who think it is unethical

ianwuzhere
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
i still dont understand why people feel the need when they find something in the bush to wreck it.. this is clearly not your stuff so shooting the trail camera or other stuff with a shotgun is disrespectful. Just reminds me of people who have stolen my trail cams..
-a book for regulations should not have to be showed to you for you to understand this!

-what i would do if i was you was put another trail cam of your own on an adjacent trail and see what comes in and let the person (s) feeding pay all the expenses.. Someone thinks its a good spot so it prolly is worth hunting..
-but please use common sense..

coach
11-01-2011, 08:06 AM
There is a good reply to a letter to the editor about ethics of baiting in the new "Big Buck" magazine, I thought it was a good article for those o you who think it is unethical

X2. I believe you are referring to Cody Robbins' response. It's worth the read and some consideration of his thoughts.

onpoint
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
i still dont understand why people feel the need when they find something in the bush to wreck it.. this is clearly not your stuff so shooting the trail camera or other stuff with a shotgun is disrespectful. Just reminds me of people who have stolen my trail cams..
-a book for regulations should not have to be showed to you for you to understand this!

-what i would do if i was you was put another trail cam of your own on an adjacent trail and see what comes in and let the person (s) feeding pay all the expenses.. Someone thinks its a good spot so it prolly is worth hunting..
-but please use common sense..

My initial thought to wreck the guy's stuff was based entirely on the fact that I thought it was illegal. I stand 100% corrected on that. I didn't shoot it or wreck it and other than seeing us on the camera, the guy wouldn't have a clue we were even there. Common sense is exactly WHY I didn't react irrationally and do something stupid. Its not my chosen method but I more than understand that there are reasons (perhaps physically) to do this and if its legal, its legal. I posted my question on here because I needed and wanted to know. Obviously my initial thought/reaction was wrong and I'm glad I now know. And I'm even happier I didn't damage the person's property.

I grew up where it was perfectly legal to bait bears and use hounds to chase deer. Here you can use hounds off-leash to tree a bear or a cougar but you can't use them off-leash to track and drive ungulates. To me that makes no hunting sense but its the law and I will abide by it, as I did this past weekend.

BCrams
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the fellow may have done his homework and set it up where he knows (or hopes) there's a good buck or two hanging around.

It wouldn't hurt you to find the game trail leading to the bait station and then set up a tree stand a few hundred yards away along the trail seeing as the fellows baiting may influence deer movement in that area you chose to hunt.

Now some may cry fowl on donig such a thing but the reality is, if its on crown land and he's pulling deer into the bait, you have to adjust your own hunting tactics for that area to take advantage of that baiting. I have found bait sites in the Peace back in the bush that explained altered movement from one area to another.....bait will do that to deer.

11-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Sounds like the fellow may have done his homework and set it up where he knows (or hopes) there's a good buck or two hanging around.

It wouldn't hurt you to find the game trail leading to the bait station and then set up a tree stand a few hundred yards away along the trail seeing as the fellows baiting may influence deer movement in that area you chose to hunt.

Bingo!
Forget all the other jazz, you gotta watch what you say here as you have figured out but who cares!
Find the trail the deer are using and blast'em before breakfast,,, nobody puts in that effore without a bit of intell

Salmon Belly
11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Legal or not, setting up by some guy's bait station is not something I would feel even remotely good about. I'd rather put in a solid day hunting - working an area, figuring out where the deer are moving - and come home with nothing than pull the trigger on a deer heading in for its served up breakfast (that I didn't even serve!). Like onpoint says it's more about how it sits with you even if it is legal. On this one I'm definitely in his camp and remember folks he said he had the 'urge' to mess with the station, he didn't do anything.

sparkes3
11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
ok onpoint, first of all welcome to the site.
it seems to me that you are doing your homework in regards to hunting in b.c a little bit late you should have been asking these questions prior to heading out in our great province to enjoy some of the finest hunting in the world (my personal opinion).that being said i know we overlook some things/scenarios that we dont even think untill we come across them.
good on you for asking questions now but what if you have a animal lined up but your not sure about certain restrictions, you could end up missing a opportunity to take a legal animal or taking a animal that do not meet those restrictions and end up getting a fine or losing the right to hunt in this great province.
spend a few nights in camp going over the british colombia regs.you can pretty much forget the regs from back east and start over here in b.c then there wont be any mix ups getting you in shit.
get a backroads map book(for the area you want to hunt) this will help you define the management units/park boundaries and give you unlimited roads to access good places to hunt/fish.
good luck ,happy hunting.
p.s this is a very good site to get info but dont take everything you read on here as law.
p.s.s wait untill you start looking at the limited entry regs you will be spinning in circles for a more than a few nights trying to figure out what area /species/and time frame you want to hunt.just giving you a heads up now for next year.

Fixit
11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Legal or not, setting up by some guy's bait station is not something I would feel even remotely good about. I'd rather put in a solid day hunting - working an area, figuring out where the deer are moving - and come home with nothing than pull the trigger on a deer heading in for its served up breakfast (that I didn't even serve!). Like onpoint says it's more about how it sits with you even if it is legal. On this one I'm definitely in his camp and remember folks he said he had the 'urge' to mess with the station, he didn't do anything.

if he's out hunting and scouting, and just so happened to find a bait station, why wouldnt you use it to your advantage... i see it no differently than someone putting up a no tresspassing sign on crown land... you cant claim it for yourself. settting up 200 yards away is more than ok IMO

Fixit
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
if i ever found a trail cam like this id likely try to get the cam to take a pict of my ph# or email... hopefully the guy would want to share a picture or two!

SHAKER
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
This site is a great tool to either "clarify" get "opinions" or just the strait facts like your situation. Find some trails come'n to that feeder and set up a couple hundred away and hope for the best.

nap
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
it seems to me that you are doing your homework in regards to hunting in b.c a little bit late you should have been asking these questions prior to heading out in our great province to enjoy some of the finest hunting in the world (my personal opinion).that being said i know we overlook some things/scenarios that we dont even think untill we come across them.
good on you for asking questions now but what if you have a animal lined up but your not sure about certain restrictions, you could end up missing a opportunity to take a legal animal or taking a animal that do not meet those restrictions and end up getting a fine or losing the right to hunt in this great province.
spend a few nights in camp going over the british colombia regs.you can pretty much forget the regs from back east and start over here in b.c then there wont be any mix ups getting you in shit.
get a backroads map book(for the area you want to hunt) this will help you define the management units/park boundaries and give you unlimited roads to access good places to hunt/fish.
p.s this is a very good site to get info but dont take everything you read on here as law.
p.s.s wait untill you start looking at the limited entry regs you will be spinning in circles for a more than a few nights trying to figure out what area /species/and time frame you want to hunt.just giving you a heads up now for next year.

X 2 best info given

onpoint
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks sparkes, I appreciate the feedback. I've actually been hunting here for 4 years now but have not been in the field enough to come across some of these questions. My motto is, if I don't KNOW what to do in any given situation I either don't do anything or don't pull the trigger despite my personal belief (eg. this feeding station). I had an opportunity at a HUGE bull moose up North this year but was in an MU where antler restrictions were in place and could not clearly make out the antler configuration, although we THOUGHT he was legal and THOUGHT we could see that third brow tine I did not pull the trigger. I mention the Ontario regs simply to give frame of reference and an example of how what you were brought up with can infulence your beliefs. I think we'd all agree that there are more than a few laws in our great country that we don't necessarily agree with but at the end of the day they are laws and we need to abide by them. I will say that having hunted with people from AB and ON here in BC we all scratch our heads at how confusing and unclear the regs are in certain respects. As you said sparkes this is a really good example of how one should read the regs on a regular basis to be sure they are familiar with every possible situation you can come across in the bush. This is the first time I've come across a bait station like this in the field so I've never even thought to ask the question.

fireguy
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I have hunted in BC all my life and never over a baited area, this year I have one and a camera on it. I probably won't hunt over the bait, but it gives me an idea of what is in the area as I don't have lots of time to put in in the field with trying to run a buisness on my own and trying to get out there hunting as well. I didn't know that baiting was allowed for years either but then again I didn't think to look into it because I had no reason to do it, now I have a reason to do it, why not it searves the purpose that I want it to and just going in to check my camera every once in a while gets me out there as well.

11-01-2011, 09:17 AM
My buddy and I bowhunt over either a mineral lick or over farmers hayfields. Are we unethical??

onpoint
11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
My buddy and I bowhunt over either a mineral lick or over farmers hayfields. Are we unethical??

See this is where it gets interesting. My personal feeling on those two spots are if you've found the lick or the trail to the field on your own then I'm all for it. Or if you find a watering hole or other natural feeding site also cool for my personal hunting tastes. I understand the various reasons behind using a bait site its just not for me at this point in my hunting life. I bowhunted next to farm fields my entire upbringing and to me that's different than putting out a bait site but I'm more than sure many guys would disagree that its different at all.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM

i would say no. i would say ethical, gives more opportunity to make a clean kill.

11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
See this is where it gets interesting. My personal feeling on those two spots are if you've found the lick or the trail to the field on your own then I'm all for it. Or if you find a watering hole or other natural feeding site also cool for my personal hunting tastes. I understand the various reasons behind using a bait site its just not for me at this point in my hunting life. I bowhunted next to farm fields my entire upbringing and to me that's different than putting out a bait site but I'm more than sure many guys would disagree that its different at all.

OK. So if you are hunting a farm, I would assume it would be because the feed there draws the deer to predictable locations. Is this not baiting by proxy?? Also, what if the farmer spills some grain, and he tells you a massive buck has been feeding on the grain pile every evening. Would you sit the grain pile? I know I would.

I don't bait with food, but I have enriched natural licks with supplemental mineral. I have never shot an animal over the lick, but have had some chances. The way I see it is the extra mineral benefits a large variety and number of animals, and in turn, I have a slightly improved chance at taking an elk or deer with my bow.

I have never baited with food, but would not negatively judge someone who does, as long as their actions are legal.

Mr. Dean
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM

In some eye's, yes, you are.

But the beauty of HBC is; if it's legal, it's ethical! So why care?

Brian011
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I've never used a bait station but I'm all for it, just cause you are using bait doesn't mean it's a sure thing that a buck will even come into it during daylight hours. It takes a lot of work and money to keep it going and in the end if something does come to it it will most likely end up being an opportunity for a good shot on the animal. By no means does it make getting an animal any easier just another way of hunting.

3kills
11-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I dont see how this is at all different then settin a feeder out and lettin the deer come into it? if those fields werent there do u think the deer would be there like they are now?

I grew up where it was perfectly legal to bait bears and use hounds to chase deer. Here you can use hounds off-leash to tree a bear or a cougar but you can't use them off-leash to track and drive ungulates. To me that makes no hunting sense but its the law and I will abide by it, as I did this past weekend.
I think drivin deer with dogs is way less ethical then brining them in with food.

onpoint
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I dont see how this is at all different then settin a feeder out and lettin the deer come into it? if those fields werent there do u think the deer would be there like they are now?

No they wouldn't be, you're totally right. And the law is the law and when its legal, go for it (in terms of baiting). For my personal tastes there's a difference between the two situations but as we're seeing here for a lot of guys there isn't.

I think drivin deer with dogs is way less ethical then brining them in with food.

And I'm sure there are tons of guys who would agree with that. I'm indifferent on that one personally, mentioned it earlier as an example of different laws from province to province. I personally don't understand (legally speaking) why you can use dogs off-leash on bears and cougars but not on deer/elk/moose or for that matter why you CAN'T bait bears/predators but you can bait ungulates. But the law is the law.

boxhitch
11-01-2011, 11:54 AM
why you can use dogs off-leash on bears and cougars but not on deer/elk/moose
consider the different reaction by the pursued critter.

why you CAN'T bait bears/predators but you can bait ungulates. ungulates are not dangerous

3kills
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
would u like to spot and stalk cougars? sure maybe once and a while it will work but not to often. big cats like that need to be managed and thats the best way to manage them. and like boxhitch said they can get up a tree to get away from the dogs or they can even fight back a deer elk or moose is just goin to run and run and run.

in bc u dont need to bait for bears cuz of the type of terrain we hunt in, bears are easily spot and stalked in bc unlike other provinces that allow baiting. plus when u feed dangerous animals dangerous things could possibly happen ;)

onpoint
11-01-2011, 01:26 PM
would u like to spot and stalk cougars? sure maybe once and a while it will work but not to often. big cats like that need to be managed and thats the best way to manage them. and like boxhitch said they can get up a tree to get away from the dogs or they can even fight back a deer elk or moose is just goin to run and run and run.

in bc u dont need to bait for bears cuz of the type of terrain we hunt in, bears are easily spot and stalked in bc unlike other provinces that allow baiting. plus when u feed dangerous animals dangerous things could possibly happen ;)

Don't get me wrong I get why you can hunt bears and cougars with dogs and don't have an issue with it. I just think its interesting that two provinces view it in different ways from an ethics and legal standpoint.

Grousedaddy
11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
The whole purpose of hunting is for meat right??? The way i see it if you buy a deer tag you should be able to use any means possible to get that meat. Whether u pit lamp one rent a helicopter or run it down with a dog the bottom line is you are out there to provide meat for your family. I mean its survival of the fittest if a cougar could shoot a deer with a .270 to eat it i bet it would, why because it would have the means to do so and its easier but it doesnt have that so it uses what its got. We happen to have guns helicopters and the list goes on at our dispossal to harvest game and if u take your bag limit i personaly wouldnt care how u did it as long as the population is sustained and managed cause thats all that really matters . Just a thought not the way i hunt or would like to but its really all about providing food.

Walking Buffalo
11-01-2011, 05:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how attitudes change regarding baiting ungulates in BC once CWD makes it's way into the province. :wink:

There is a good chance that "baiting" ungulates will be outlawed in BC sooner than you might think. The National CWD Control Strategy is on it's way.

coach
11-01-2011, 05:42 PM
The whole purpose of hunting is for meat right??? The way i see it if you buy a deer tag you should be able to use any means possible to get that meat. Whether u pit lamp one rent a helicopter or run it down with a dog the bottom line is you are out there to provide meat for your family. I mean its survival of the fittest if a cougar could shoot a deer with a .270 to eat it i bet it would, why because it would have the means to do so and its easier but it doesnt have that so it uses what its got. We happen to have guns helicopters and the list goes on at our dispossal to harvest game and if u take your bag limit i personaly wouldnt care how u did it as long as the population is sustained and managed cause thats all that really matters . Just a thought not the way i hunt or would like to but its really all about providing food.

Interesting perspective. I prefer to think we are managing game populations. I know a lot of non-hunters who understand and support this. Not so sure, "it's all about the meat and anything goes" is a great attitude to portray.

Grousedaddy
11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Its not how i hunt but i do hunt for meat. Cant say that if i dont bag a moose im not going to eat but it sure does help the grocery bill. Hunting is expensive and time consuming ( i like spending the time dont get me wrong i enjoy it) with no guarantee of sucess. Just a though i put down to see how other ppl view it not my method or preference just a thought

steel_ram
11-01-2011, 06:35 PM

I was always taught, the meat was the bonus. Hunting isn't killing, as fishing isn't catching. The grocery store is by far the only guaranteed supply of food, and usually a heck of a lot cheaper.

Gateholio
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
You CAN bait all predators except BEARS.

Baiting yotes, wolves, cougars, bobcats, lynx....all legal

Peter Pepper
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
You CAN bait all predators except BEARS.

Baiting yotes, wolves, cougars, bobcats, lynx....all legal

hmmm wonder what to use for cougar bait. Maybe a rat-dog tied to a post?

Grousedaddy
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
The meat Is not the "bonus" before grocery stores were around ppl hunted for food. The defenition of hunting hasnt changed the way ppl view it has. Your either hunting for meat or trophys there can only be 2 categories the way i see it

coach
11-01-2011, 06:55 PM
The meat Is not the "bonus" before grocery stores were around ppl hunted for food. The defenition of hunting hasnt changed the way ppl view it has. Your either hunting for meat or trophys there can only be 2 categories the way i see it

You may want to consider the reasons we are allowed to hunt, grousedaddy. It's not for meat.

jeff
11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
You may want to consider the reasons we are allowed to hunt, grousedaddy. It's not for meat.

its our right to hunt, not that we are allowed to hunt

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 07:08 PM
You have a right to hunt under the rights provided and within the rules and regulations of the Province of BC.
Under the BC Wild Life Act.
If you think you own your house, stop paying the taxes. lol.
You think you can hunt? Got a valid BC hunting license? Valid species tag? Plus a pol?
Then you can hunt legally if you don't then any other way is illegal .. Stay Safenlegal!
:-D

coach
11-01-2011, 07:11 PM
its our right to hunt, not that we are allowed to hunt

Are you sure, Jeff? Is it written into our constitution?

Grousedaddy
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
How can it not be for meat??? Do you just shoot your animal and leave it?? I sure hope not im sure you take that MEAT home and eat it. I cant believe you would say its not for the meat give your head a shake

jeff
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Are you sure, Jeff? Is it written into our constitution?

as far as i no ,its our right to hunt

RugDoctor
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Opinions are like kids.....I only like mine.

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Me thinks hunting is a sport (with benefits) in our modern times, right or no?

jeff
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Me thinks hunting is a sport in our modern times, right or no?

and doesnt every canadian citizen have the right to hunt . tell me if im wrong

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
How can it not be for meat??? Do you just shoot your animal and leave it?? I sure hope not im sure you take that MEAT home and eat it. I cant believe you would say its not for the meat give your head a shake

you hunt because you want to hunt.. it pc bs to say its for meat as it is all about the trophy and the experiance, for some the trophy is the meat for others the pelt or the antlers.

if it was only about the meat then we would all be happy with a govt agent/professional hunter doing the harvesting and you simply getting the meat.

hunting for meat to sustain yourself is one of the biggest falsehoods going in this day and age.

its no differnt then fishing . you sure as heck dont fish for the meat

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Not if they are convicted of certain crimes then they can't own gun, rifle or cross bow etc.
So I guess I would say no. No ex terrorists either I would think but hey.
Just because someone isn't allowed doesn't mean some won't obey the order either.
jp .. gotta pass through the hoops first, core and on til you get a valid hunter's number

rocksteady
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow..did this thread ever go sideways.....

Baiting ungulates to vandalism to constitutional rights?????

Who would have predicted that????

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 07:43 PM

if your initial thought was to destroy another persons property ????

Big7
11-01-2011, 07:46 PM
if it was only about the meat then we would all be happy with a govt agent/professional hunter doing the harvesting and you simply getting the meat.

hunting for meat to sustain yourself is one of the biggest falsehoods going in this day and age.

Speak for yourself....I haven't bought ANY beef in my whole life (other than for work for the guys at camp.)

Wild game got me through college without a huge food bill and has continued to feed my family for years. I have crunched the numbers year after year and wildgame continues to be the cheapest option for me with regards to red meat.

I cut my own game, make my own sausage and eat as much as I want cuz the freezer is bottomless!!

Do I like antlers? Yes. I have a fair collection of "good ones." But....would I pass on a nice deer cuz he was eating off an alfalfa windrow....no.

My stomach (and familly) thanks me at least 4 dinners a week for what I "do!!!!"

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM
if someone handed you a moose for the same amount of money as it costs you instead of hunting would you be just as happy?

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice cross examination going on here. lol. good debate started imho.
Jp .. My opinion means SQWAT

bandit
11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
its no differnt then fishing . you sure as heck dont fish for the meat

I personally dont but I bet a good proportion of the bottom bouncing club down on the Fraser / Vedder do. They bonk every fish they catch and go home as soon as they get their limit. And I havent seen a single one of them break a smile. If that aint meat fishing I dunno what is!

Gateholio
11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
if someone handed you a moose for the same amount of money as it costs you instead of hunting would you be just as happy?

Some people would, some people wouldn't. Some like the "vacation" aspect of hunting, too, which you can't get just by buying a moose.

Bottom line is that the only way to procure wild meat is to hunt for it, so if you want that type of meat you don't have the option of just opening your wallet.

BearStump
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I personally disagree with baiting of any kind, and yes that includes a farmers field. I think that a ban should be placed on hunting farmland for anyone but the farmer protecting his crop.
Baiting bears is disgusting. all that acomplishes is creating more garbage bears. why would you eat a bear that is used to eating Macdonalds used lard and day old timmies donuts anyway. No sport in baiting at all in my opinion. But these are my thoughts and this is how I hunt.
Like the forum rules state, "If its legal, Have at 'er." Just not for me.

coach
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I personally disagree with baiting of any kind, and yes that includes a farmers field. I think that a ban should be placed on hunting farmland for anyone but the farmer protecting his crop.
Baiting bears is disgusting. all that acomplishes is creating more garbage bears. why would you eat a bear that is used to eating Macdonalds used lard and day old timmies donuts anyway. No sport in baiting at all in my opinion. But these are my thoughts and this is how I hunt.
Like the forum rules state, "If its legal, Have at 'er." Just not for me.

So you disagree with the late season elk draws in region 7? How many elk would you allow the farmers to kill?

coach
11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I think many of the rules have been developed for safe and ethical game management. Meat, quality of experience, etc are great side benefits. With regard to hunting being a "right" or a "privilege": the NDP government put a moritorium on grizzly hunting a few years back. As hunters, we argued that predator control was an important part of game management. Fortunately, the subsequent Liberal government agreed and we have our LEH grizzly hunts again. The fact is - a government can quickly take our privilege to hunt away from us. It's up to us to remember why hunting is so important - not just the social reasons, the scientific ones too.

BearStump
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
So you disagree with the late season elk draws in region 7? How many elk would you allow the farmers to kill?

you obviosly did'nt read the last line of my post.
And I dont know anything about the "late season draw in reg 7" But I can say that I would'nt be shooting elk off of a farmers field in region 7, 4, 6, wherever. Thats just not a sport to me. its a cull, and imo should not be considered hunting.

xcaribooer
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
hmm I just assumed that would be illegal. not very sporting if they are baiting for the purpose of hunting.
I found a treestand set up this year that overlooked an area where someone was dumping bags of salt creating a not so natural salt lick. it had been there for years . I wonder how many deer met there end here..

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Im pretty certain that most every hunter on here wants the hunting experiance part of the meat equation or trophy mount.

We hunt because we are hardwired to hunt (most of us)
It doesnt matter if its for deer or a yote or a rabbit . We get up early because we want to freeze our ass off waiting for that coyote when any sane person would be in bed.

In many parts of the world you can buy game meat from from prof shooters yet people still hunt because they have a desire to have that experiance.

fishing is a good example as it is one of the most common outdoor recreations people partake in and yes you can buy wild salmon flounder etc for less then the total cost of rod ,equipment,fuel, time etc yet fishemen the world over are driven to fish.

if someone gave you the choice of free game meat of your choosing instead of haveing the opportunity to hunt for it yourself i dont know many hunters that would give hunting up.

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I feel the same in some aspects about shooting on private ranches and farms. The rancher should not allow special people to hunt his pasture fields or cultivated lands.
My personal request but I know it ain't going to float in a democracy with individual rights of owners etc.
It's more like a shooting experience than a hunting one to me if your in a enclosure where only the guests shoot what they want and their friends on a private ranch.
Next thing will be buying big tracts of vacant land and it's private.
Shooting verses Hunting and shooting. Like a trout pond at a fall fair to fish in.
Jel Vane e iss I wouldn't be impressed with that neither would most men and women.
What ever floats your boat.

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 09:02 PM
And I dont know anything about the "late season draw in reg 7" But I can say that I would'nt be shooting elk off of a farmers field in region 7, 4, 6, wherever. Thats just not a sport to me. its a cull, and imo should not be considered hunting.

as long as the animal has the ability to excercise free will (not restrained ) and it is of a legal method then it is hunting.

coach
11-01-2011, 09:06 PM

You are 100% correct. It is a cull. It's also important to game management. Your personal views are important to you and are important to this discussion. I helped a farmer this fall by cutting one of my tags on a buck that was damaging his crops. I did so legally and ethically. I've also taken two cow elk in region 7 over the years - both legally and ethically killed through LEH. I respect your opinion regarding this type of "hunting" - but it's part of game management. I had similar views to many with regard to bait stations. I can't see myself hunting over one anytime soon (if ever) but it is legal so I'm not going to question others for doing it. The article by Cody Robbins in the latest "Big Buck" is well worth reading. There are many good points to consider.

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
You hunt until you get your prey, then you cut tag, cut throat, cut gut, cut head off, legs off, then drag it 2 twuck. It's over so head home with the meat. Your done.
Jelly Side wine der .. like this thread lol.

REMINGTON JIM
11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Don't get me wrong I get why you can hunt bears and cougars with dogs and don't have an issue with it. I just think its interesting that two provinces view it in different ways from an ethics and legal standpoint.

But you have a issue with baiting deer ? Maybe you are a little mixed up Pal !:roll:

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I wonder how game cams and salt licks sit ethically?

Gateholio
11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
People should only hunt the way that *I* want them to hunt. If they don't agree, they shouldn't have a hunting license!!!!

Jelvis
11-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Game cameras invading the wild animals world 24/7 all the animals privacy gone lol.
Salt licks tricking the thirsty beast to lick the blue colored magic mineral rock.
Then the hunter focus his telescopic sight on the record wild beast and BOOM!
Out go dah lights.
Jel .. Steeve E Ray Vonn .. Molly Hatchet .. Flirtin with Deee Sas ter .. Twasted Saster

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
and those damn hound hunters should be banned and the bowhunters and then the black powder guys, and guys that wear camo in trucks or on quads and

onpoint
11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
But you have a issue with baiting deer ? Maybe you are a little mixed up Pal !:roll:

I hunt for the experience, the challenge, the vacation, and the meat. I've hunted with dogs before where it is legal on deer and in my opinion using hounds to chase/drive deer is not even remotely the same as baiting them. The deer still have the advantage of knowing the terrain, escape routes, etc. and are moving very quickly through what is usually very tight cover. Dumping a bag of corn or grain on the ground in an area where they don't normally come across this type of feed for me is different. As was mentioned very early in this post, its perfectly legal so all the power to those who use this method. Not my approach and I definitely view it differently from driving them with dogs. At the end of the day the laws are what they are.

pete_k
11-02-2011, 12:27 AM
People should only hunt the way that *I* want them to hunt. If they don't agree, they shouldn't have a hunting license!!!!
You mean dressed in full camo, sitting in the truck, heater on, bino's on the dashboard, drinking coffee with the radio on?
I'm pretty sure alot do.

Weatherby Fan
11-02-2011, 12:37 AM
You mean dressed in full camo, sitting in the truck, heater on, bino's on the dashboard, drinking coffee with the radio on?
I'm pretty sure alot do.

You forgot the best part of that picture - the donuts ! mmmm hunting at it's finest.

Gateholio
11-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Running deer with hounds is cheating and unethical.........

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure alot do.

sound like a great idea. i will have to try that.

thanks old buddy!

betteroffishing
11-02-2011, 06:53 AM
good on you for posting the question , and thank god you had the presence of mind to not destroy someones property. i wonder if it might not actually be someones winter range holding spot for cattle comming off the mountain instead of a game baiting operation. do re-read the regs as it has lots of little tidbits of info which wont necessarilly be retained on one reading.

coach
11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Couldn’t agree more!
I’m a firm believer in fair chase hunting. Using bait to lure any animal is un-sportsmen like and should be made illegal unless pursuing a predator that needs to be controlled or exterminated as determined by the pros.
This is not the age where our family lives depend on hunting to survive. IMO-Any person using bait is a cheat & is not a true hunter. PERIOD! Shooting an animal over bait is nothing to be proud of.

Would you guys extend that to include all feeding and watering areas? Basically leave legal hunting only in bedding areas and migration routes?

At what point do we all need to just accept that hunting is part of game management, that there are rules that we all need to follow? Why can't we all see the importance of working together to ensure our sport continues. All of the debate over whose method of killing animals is more ethical than someone else' is counter productive. We all have the freedom to chose what methods we prefer. We shouldn't be bashing others for using legal means. At the same time, none of us should support illegal activities.

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I agree . there are guys that use radios and a coordonated deer drive , hound hunters,stand hunters, spot and stalkers ,atvers, road hunters, and so on and so fourth .

as long as you are not doing anything illegal enjoy your style of hunting.

onpoint
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Running deer with hounds is cheating and unethical.........

Explain?? I'm honestly curious to hear why you feel that way...no BS here just really interested to hear your perspective on why you feel that way.

onpoint
11-02-2011, 08:33 AM
good on you for posting the question , and thank god you had the presence of mind to not destroy someones property. i wonder if it might not actually be someones winter range holding spot for cattle comming off the mountain instead of a game baiting operation. do re-read the regs as it has lots of little tidbits of info which wont necessarilly be retained on one reading.

This whole situation REALLY made it clear to me that no matter how many times I read the regs, there will be things I won't retain until I come across an "in the feild" example. And my default action has always been (and was here), do nothing unless you're 100% sure of the legal side of it. Personal ethics come second to that. I am beyond relieved I didn't damage the guy's stuff, I was reacting strongly to what I thought was an illegal activity and I stand corrected on that assumption.

As for this being a cattle station, not a chance. Was up a river valley where there are no cattle and I grew up on a beef farm...I can tell the difference between a cattle feeding station and a deer/elk feeding set-up.

Walking Buffalo
11-02-2011, 08:48 AM
It will be interesting to see how attitudes change regarding baiting ungulates in BC once CWD makes it's way into the province. :wink:

There is a good chance that "baiting" ungulates will be outlawed in BC sooner than you might think. The National CWD Control Strategy is on it's way.

So no one has a concern with increased disease transmission rates in ungulates that occurs with Baiting?

The disease issue is not limited to CWD. Tuberculosis, brucellosis, anthrax, blue tongue, lungworm, liver flukes, cancerous warts.....

In CWD infected areas, baiting is being outlawed through national policy (US and soon to be in Canada). These policies are expected to expand into non CWD areas and there will be changes to storage of agriculture products on farms.

Unfortunately CWD will make it's way into BC.

If BC was following "Best Management Practices" for it's animals, Baiting ungulates for all purposes (hunting and photography) would be banned.

BCrams
11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Was up a river valley where there are no cattle and I grew up on a beef farm...I can tell the difference between a cattle feeding station and a deer/elk feedin set-up.

So its a deer feeding station - whats your game plan now that you know there's one in the area you chose to hunt?

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Got a question for all you non baiters - do any of you fish ? - bet none of you guys ever used worms or roe or flies or shrimp or anything like that to catch any of your fish -bare hook only for you guys - But i know - thats different RIGHT ? !!! :confused::confused::confused:

steel_ram
11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Got a question for all you non baiters - do any of you fish ? - bet none of you guys ever used worms or roe or flies or shrimp or anything like that to catch any of your fish -bare hook only for you guys - But i know - thats different RIGHT ? !!! :confused::confused::confused:

I don't shoot fish, nor do I enter their environment and often, bait is not permitted, so, with the exception of spear fishing you are correct, that is different.

BearStump
11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Nope. dont fish. But I like to drink beer and go out on the boat with my brother while he's fishing.

BearStump
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Would you guys extend that to include all feeding and watering areas? Basically leave legal hunting only in bedding areas and migration routes?

At what point do we all need to just accept that hunting is part of game management, that there are rules that we all need to follow? Why can't we all see the importance of working together to ensure our sport continues. All of the debate over whose method of killing animals is more ethical than someone else' is counter productive. We all have the freedom to chose what methods we prefer. We shouldn't be bashing others for using legal means. At the same time, none of us should support illegal activities.
Dude!!!............chill out, why ya gotta get all uppity on me. I said that "I" dont like baiting, or hunting over bait. If baiting is your bag, go ahead and fill your boots. As long as you stay legal I dont give a rats ass how you hunt.

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=coach;1008886]Would you guys extend that to include all feeding and watering areas? Basically leave legal hunting only in bedding areas and migration routes?

WELL spoken COACH ! :-D

rocksteady
11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
WOuld following a herd of cow elk in the forest, suspecting that one is in heat, waiting for a bull to join up be considered as baiting???? Is using a bugle to fool a bull into thinking there is a herd and a inferior bull making babies, pissing off the big bull into coming to investigate, is that then baiting????

steel_ram
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
WOuld following a herd of cow elk in the forest, suspecting that one is in heat, waiting for a bull to join up be considered as baiting???? Is using a bugle to fool a bull into thinking there is a herd and a inferior bull making babies, pissing off the big bull into coming to investigate, is that then baiting????

I don't see using whats already there, using animal behaviors etc. the same as placing a bait. Personally, I don't care, as long as the game is managed properly. Not everyone has the ability to find game to kill without using every possible technique or modern convenience, or step beyond sight of the road.

rocksteady
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't see using whats already there, using animal behaviors etc. the same as placing a bait. Personally, I don't care, as long as the game is managed properly. Not everyone has the ability to find game to kill without using every possible technique or modern convenience, or step beyond sight of the road.

So just playing devils advocate here for a minute.....What is the difference in hunting a natural mineral lick or creating your own and hunting over either or both???

behemoth
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
People on this site dont seem to understand that the ethics and legality of hunting methods has always evolved and changed. And the people driving that change have mostly been the hunters themselves.

I just shake my head when another hunter tries to tell me that I cant tell people that I hunt for meat because that doesnt support the grizzly hunt, therefore I am "anti hunting". What a crock- Its just BS political correctness

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
but you dont hunt for meat you hunt for the sake of hunting. meat is your trophy.
you will not starve if you do not hunt you do not need to hunt to sustain yourself. Its a choice not a need

behemoth
11-02-2011, 01:07 PM
What does whether it is a choice or need matter? Thats just a diversion

I guess you could say that the meat is my trophy... but that doesnt mean I dont hunt for the meat

And before anyone freaks out and calls me an "anti hunter", for the record I have no problem ethically with trophy hunting

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
A diversion from what?? we hunt because we enjoy it and the experiance surrounding it. Saying your a meat hunter is a socially designed justification for hunting in a world that has been brainwashed to frown on the practice unless deemed neccasary for food . (we all need to eat so its easy to justify)

A meat hunter a rack hunter or varmint hunter are all the same thing as they are all trophy hunter of some kind.

you would be a trophy hunter whos trophy is the meat(byproduct of a hunt) which is no different then any other hunter.

steel_ram
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
So just playing devils advocate here for a minute.....What is the difference in hunting a natural mineral lick or creating your own and hunting over either or both???

Because one was "natural". It has to be found, not placed in an area of convenience. Same as finding any natural sought after food supply as opposed to freshly dumped magic feed corn.

coach
11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I just shake my head when another hunter tries to tell me that I cant tell people that I hunt for meat because that doesnt support the grizzly hunt, therefore I am "anti hunting". What a crock- Its just BS political correctness

Who said that to you?

onpoint
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
So no one has a concern with increased disease transmission rates in ungulates that occurs with Baiting?

The disease issue is not limited to CWD. Tuberculosis, brucellosis, anthrax, blue tongue, lungworm, liver flukes, cancerous warts.....

In CWD infected areas, baiting is being outlawed through national policy (US and soon to be in Canada). These policies are expected to expand into non CWD areas and there will be changes to storage of agriculture products on farms.

Unfortunately CWD will make it's way into BC.

If BC was following "Best Management Practices" for it's animals, Baiting ungulates for all purposes (hunting and photography) would be banned.

I'm with you on this one 100%.

onpoint
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
So its a deer feeding station - whats your game plan now that you know there's one in the area you chose to hunt?

Leave it be.

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Because one was "natural". It has to be found, not placed in an area of convenience. Same as finding any natural sought after food supply as opposed to freshly dumped magic feed corn.

yea WHATEVER !

Grousedaddy
11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
A diversion from what?? we hunt because we enjoy it and the experiance surrounding it. Saying your a meat hunter is a socially designed justification for hunting in a world that has been brainwashed to frown on the practice unless deemed neccasary for food . (we all need to eat so its easy to justify)

A meat hunter a rack hunter or varmint hunter are all the same thing as they are all trophy hunter of some kind.

you would be a trophy hunter whos trophy is the meat(byproduct of a hunt) which is no different then any other hunter.

How can you call meat a trophy? Ppl have hunted for food since the dawn of time. Sure i can go to safeway and buy domestic meat or i can go shoot a deer for the meat i cannot buy in a supermarket. So clearly its a meat hunt nothing to do with a trophy in my opinion. But at the same time i cant say that is someone handed me a deer to eat i wouldnt still go hunt because i enjoy it but if i see a buck or doe and its legal regarless of size its goin down because im still there for some great meat that i cant just go buy

coach
11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Come on G-daddy, don't get your nickers in a twist over this stuff. I hunt for meat and for a number of personal social reasons just like I do. Earlier in this thread, I suggested you think about why we are ALLOWED the privilege of hunting by our government. The answer, to a large degree, is that it's good for game management. If it was strictly for meat, the non hunting population would tell us to find an alternate source. My comments about the grizzly moratorium were an example of our provincial government taking our hunting privilege away for social reasons. We got it back, because it's good science to manage predators. We all have our reasons for hunting. In my exprlerience I've encountered a high percentage of non-hunters who have been enlightened recently and now support our pastime. My point all along has been that, if it's legal, let's not battle eachother over it. I love hunting (and game meat) way too much to lose our current privileges.

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
the meat is very much a trophy of your efforts. people have hunted for needed food since the dawn of time and the time when wild game was needed sustain ourselves has passed.
Wanting what you cant buy in a supermarket is not relavent in the need to feed yourself with our furry little woodland creatures.

and yes you can buy deer and wild game off of ranches and ranges the world over yet even with that available people still love to hunt for the sheer pleasure of hunting. (yes you can even get it in canada)

meat is a weak socially acceptable excuse people used to justify killing an animal to people that will never understand hunting

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
the meat is very much a trophy of your efforts. people have hunted for needed food since the dawn of time and the time when wild game was needed sustain ourselves has passed.
Wanting what you cant buy in a supermarket is not relavent in the need to feed yourself with our furry little woodland creatures.

and yes you can buy deer and wild game off of ranches and ranges the world over yet even with that available people still love to hunt for the sheer pleasure of hunting. (yes you can even get it in canada)

meat is a weak socially acceptable excuse people used to justify killing an animal to people that will never understand hunting

well said Barracuda

Walking Buffalo
11-03-2011, 06:38 AM

:confused:

Ranched game meat is not the same as Wild. Look into the effects of "stress" hormones and captive ungulates. It is common for captive elk to be rejected for human consumption by food inspectors due to the poor quality of the meat.

Purchasing Ranched game meat supports the privatization of wildlife. Game ranches are responsible for the introductions and spread of CWD throughout North America. Do you really want to promote this?

Hunting for FOOD is the reason most accepted by Non-hunters to justify the killing of wildlife.

steel_ram
11-03-2011, 07:14 AM
"Food", still has to be the bonus. If everyone hunted for sustenance, there wouldn't be to many people getting fed, wildlife would be desimated. We'd have to start domesticating animals to feed the huge volume of people. Soon a need to enclose animals and development genetically superior meat producing animals, . . . . kind of where we are now.
I prefer to have hunting what it is now, or should I say was, recreation, fair chase, a link to our past. Hunting is a privilege, not a right. Why do so many put some much effort and money minimizing the "hunt" with all these modern gizmo's, from ATV's , gadgets gallore including modern surveillance. You might as well "hunt" cattle.

Barracuda
11-03-2011, 09:11 AM
:confused:

Ranched game meat is not the same as Wild. Look into the effects of "stress" hormones and captive ungulates. It is common for captive elk to be rejected for human consumption by food inspectors due to the poor quality of the meat.

Purchasing Ranched game meat supports the privatization of wildlife. Game ranches are responsible for the introductions and spread of CWD throughout North America. Do you really want to promote this?

Hunting for FOOD is the reason most accepted by Non-hunters to justify the killing of wildlife.

is that not what was said allready? useing the excuse that you hunt for meat is what is accepted by people that are not hunters.

as for game ranches they would be no more stressed then any normal animal in a wild predator prey enviroment.
look at white tails they thrive in cultivated land.
I am not talking about penned livestock .

Some properties are many days large and the animals have little contact with people. free range animals where they are trapped or shot for consumption by professional/certified shooters and or trappers to be processed later yet hunting is very much alive and well in those countries.

we hunt not because we need the food but because we want to hunt and enjoy all the experiances surrounding the hunt.

coach
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
We all have lots of social reasons to hunt. The fact is, hunting seasons and regulations are (and need to be) set for scientific reasons - not social. I'm 100% certain region 8 deer seasons will never be extended because more people need meat. Bringing this discussion back to where it started, baiting is allowed for ungulates because it does not have a negative effect on game populations. A great argument was brought up regarding potential for CWD and other diseases that could one day lead to rules that would make baiting illegal (for scientific reasons). Concerns such as this provide all the more reason that hunting should be allowed on cultivated lands where ungulates congregate. Again, we need to work together as a community of hunters to grow our sport, while remaining ethical and legal.

Walking Buffalo
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM

is that not what was said allready? useing the excuse that you hunt for meat is what is accepted by people that are not hunters.

as for game ranches they would be no more stressed then any normal animal in a wild predator prey enviroment.
look at white tails they thrive in cultivated land.
I am not talking about penned livestock .

Some properties are many days large and the animals have little contact with people. free range animals where they are trapped or shot for consumption by professional/certified shooters and or trappers to be processed later yet hunting is very much alive and well in those countries.

we hunt not because we need the food but because we want to hunt and enjoy all the experiances surrounding the hunt.

No, that is not what you said. You said: "meat is a weak socially acceptable excuse people used to justify killing an animal to people that will never understand hunting".

I disagree. Hunting for Meat is not a "weak" "excuse". Hunting for meat is the strongest reason accepted by the general public for the practice.

Cuda, spend some time researching Game Farming and disease/stress issues. Captive deer and elk do not adapt to confinement. Continuously elevated stress hormone levels often make the meat unfit for human consumption. It's a fact.

All Canadian Game Farms must keep their animals penned. There is no such thing as Free Range Captive ungulates in Canada.

We all hunt for our own individual reasons. I hunt for Meat, I hunt for meat because I need it. I don't buy meat, ever. I do enjoy all aspects of the hunt, because it nourishes my soul. This soul food is an absolute neccessity to many of us who have not lost touch with being human.

Barracuda
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
size of the facility and methods dictate freerange and organic .
Perhaps you should investigate a bit more as to game managment practices as not all animals are kept in high stress high density pens .Take a look at a faciliity like broken arrow ranch down south or brabant back east.

Again many wild free range animals in other parts of the world are harvested for food resale and they still have plenty of hunters.

if you have no option but to hunt for nourishment then its a need but if you have the ability to aqquire what you need to sustain yourself then Hunting is a lifestyle choice and a want but not a need.

caviar and lobster is a want just like wild game is a want.

Singleshotneeded
11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
no harm, no foul...baiting is legal for ungulates, and if he chooses to consider the bait station's effect on the bucks in the
area, watch the area, and shoot a buck when it comes in, that's just fine, legal, and his business. If he continues to hunt
right around there and doesn't consider the effect of the bait station, well that's just illogical...but again it's his business.

Gateholio
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Explain?? I'm honestly curious to hear why you feel that way...no BS here just really interested to hear your perspective on why you feel that way.

it's not the way I hunt, so it's unethical and should be illegal.

Gateholio
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure alot do.

The irony is that many, many animals are road hunted every year, and nobody cries foul. But put some effort into building and maintaining a bait station with a trail cam, and all of a sudden you are labeled an unethical cheater.

wsm
11-03-2011, 01:01 PM
The irony is that many, many animals are road hunted every year, and nobody cries foul. But put some effort into building and maintaining a bait station with a trail cam, and all of a sudden you are labeled an unethical cheater.

well said . look at me for example i sit on the side of a hill about 1-2 miles up from farm fields. knowing full well the deer are coming up iin the morning :)
and i know many here do similar as well .