PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mule Deer

sceddy
10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
I've already posted some pics on the mule deer thread, here's the story. Me and my dad left the island on Friday the 21 Oct. The rest of our crew was already in camp. Got into camp at 6pm, had few drinks and went to bed. Woke up early Saturday morning and headed out to one of my spots. After and hour hike I was getting close to the top of the mountain when a saw a few does heading into the timber. I stopped and watched them for a sec when out of the corner of my eye a saw a buck. I put the scope on him a could see he was decent. I the moved the cross hairs behind his shoulder, boom, he staggered, walked 20 feet then fell. I walked up to him, it was about a 120 yard shot, and he jumps up and starts to run, but slowly. One more shot to the neck and he's down for good. Cleaned him up and headed back down the mountain to meet my buddy.

I figured the two of us could get him off the mountain, I was wrong. Anyway, I met up with my buddy at the truck and we both headed back up the mountain. On the way up my buddy shoots a fork. We drag him over to the big guy. After some discussion, we decide to head back to camp and get some more help. A few hours later, we're back at camp, deer hung up and time for a little celebrating, well maybe alot. The next few days the rest of the guys tagged out. Lots of deer around this year, the most I 've seen since 2007. We were in region 5. The big gut had a 6 inch base on one side and 5 and half on the other. As I write this he's in the pot for a euro. My biggest muley to date body wise, I figure him to be 170-190 hanging meet.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb334/sceddy01/gangranch2011015.jpg

jeff
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
great looking bucks ,congrats

sceddy
10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
It worked fine with one guy pushing and two guys pulling on a rope tied off at the front.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb334/sceddy01/gangranch2011031.jpg

hopsing
10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Congrats on your nice bucks. I hope you saved that double patch huge neck hide!

kennyj
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice deer. Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip.
kenny

dino
10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
gotta love the ranch. Our crew will be up there for the late season.

moose2
10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice bucks guys sounds like a great trip.
Mike

ROEBUCK
10-31-2011, 11:12 PM
It worked fine with one guy pushing and two guys pulling on a rope tied off at the front.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb334/sceddy01/gangranch2011031.jpg

great way to get your deer out of the bush
congrats

fireguy
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
I had to laugh at the wheelbarrow pack system, I have done that before, a long ways and while it worked, it was not that fun. We upgraded to a two wheeled home made cart system after that and that worked for a few years as well. Now I have a quad and trailer if need be, I like this method the best.
Still do the drag sometimes and debone and pack out if needed, but those pictures reminded me of hunts from the past with my dad in the good old days bringing deer out that us boys had shot way to far away from the truck.

Ken Rant
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
i know that wheelbarrow

Tarp Man
11-01-2011, 01:16 AM
That wheelbarrow gets around the no quad restriction quite well! Too bad there isn't a moose-sized model!

4 point
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Buy a game cart they work better.

CooperSscat
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Did you guys field dress the deer before wheelbarrowing them out???

Jeremy

Philcott
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Very nice bucks.

Over the year I have found tying a branch (a strong one) long enough to allow a guy on either side of the deer to the antlers and then tying the front legs to the branch work well in extractions. You want to get as much of the deer off the ground as possible so we bend our arms at the elbows and cradle the branch there. This way two guy can drag a pretty big deer without getting too caught up on deadfall and the like.

Works for us and we don't have to go back to camp for a wheel barrow.

11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
You can also use a little girls bike with the low bar on it with the bannana seat.. Put a piece of dowelling accross the front handle bars for one guy a side to hold and steer then 2 out the back on angle for 2 guys to push. Cut the hooves off and tie the head accross the handle bars and hind down to the seat. It is light and easy to use. We pulled a number of deer off the mountain with ours. Ironically the bike was pink and the name was "Free spirit" from the factory.

dont got a scanner to post pics of it

greenhorn
11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
You can also use a little girls bike with the low bar on it with the bannana seat.. Put a piece of dowelling accross the front handle bars for one guy a side to hold and steer then 2 out the back on angle for 2 guys to push. Cut the hooves off and tie the head accross the handle bars and hind down to the seat. It is light and easy to use. We pulled a number of deer off the mountain with ours. Ironically the bike was pink and the name was "Free spirit" from the factory.

I want to see this picture!

11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Dad has one, i might be able to ,,,,, if i remember when im there get it posted

greenhorn
11-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Nice deer!

Wish the terrain was wheelbarrow friendly around the island :)

scottwh
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice buck ! I wanna see the bike too!!! Im off to the bush now,
Hope I get lucky too :)

Philcott
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Did you have some of those really cool handlebar tassels too? J/K. It's a good idea. Wish I hadn't cleared out the kids old bikes now.

spear
11-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Nice muley with some great mass. Sounds like you guys had a good area with everyone being tagged out. Thanks for posting

d6dan
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice bucks sceddy!:-D. I do love your tranportation method:mrgreen:. A fort wheelbarrel :shock: Nothing wrong with what works hey?...Congrats.