PDA

View Full Version : A better late then never 4x3 Mulie (caution blood on snow in pics)

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
The long and short of it is I picked him up 5 minutes before calling it quits on a 4 day hunt in the Kamloops area. I just had to check over one more hill before heading back to pack up camp. He was 100 yards broadside, downhill and just casually strolling across some slash. He didn't see or wind me at all. Bringing something home in the back of the truck certainly makes the drive nicer!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/IMG_1181.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/IMG_1183.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/IMG_1190.jpg

4 point
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Way to go. Nice buck.

Bow Walker
10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Congratulations on a very nice buck.

He'll fit on your plate just fine.

Maybe next time drag him 20 feet away and then take the photos? Not that I'm squeamish at all - just some advice.

Philcott
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice deer. It doesn't matter if it's the first or the last minute of a hunt as long as you bag your animal.

From an old Tex Ritter tune. :-D

There was blood on the saddle and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

A cowboy lay in it all covered with gore
And he never will ride any broncos no more

Oh, pity the cowboy, all bloody and red
For the bronco fell on him and bashed in his head

There was blood on the saddle and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

Grousedaddy
10-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Way to go we bagged a nice 4x3 on our last road of the day saturday up jamieson

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Congratulations on a very nice buck.

He'll fit on your plate just fine.

Maybe next time drag him 20 feet away and then take the photos? Not that I'm squeamish at all - just some advice.

Good idea. The whole thing was really rushed on account of the last minute nature of it. I would have preferred to get some better photos. I didn't realize how bad it was until I looked at the pics this morning on the pc.

CanuckShooter
10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong with an 11th hour deer!! Good luck works wonders sometimes!

mijinkal
10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
looks fine to a colour blind guy! It all looks like brown dirt to me.

10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
You got some good pics,,,,,, But that last one,,,,, how the heck did it get so brutal with no guts!!!

I have trouble staging pictures too, I get excited and just dont think all the time. Course that why i hunt is to get all goofie when i shoot something.
Nice work!

Elkhound
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
congrats on a last minute deer. Always nice

landphil
10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
looks fine to a colour blind guy! It all looks like brown dirt to me.

LOL, and X2 on that, I can see red fine, but i don't think it stands out to me like it does to some?? I guess I'll never know. Greens and browns are my weak area.

Nice buck, congrats!

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 11:27 AM
You got some good pics,,,,,, But that last one,,,,, how the heck did it get so brutal with no guts!!!

I have trouble staging pictures too, I get excited and just dont think all the time. Course that why i hunt is to get all goofie when i shoot something.
Nice work!

I know exactly what you mean about the goofiness! I barely made the drive back to camp I was so excited.

I spun him around a few times when I was gutting him, and since it was lung/heart shot there was a lot of blood in the cavity. If there wasn't snow cover, it wouldn't have been so noticeable.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Good job man congrats.

coach
10-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I see nothing wrong with this picture..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/deer-1.jpg

I hope I didn't start anything negative with my thread on taking quality pics. Hopefully just got all of us thinking. As I've said before, A picture is a hell of a lot better than NO picture. It's funny that you had to qualify the thread with a caution.

Nice buck - thanks for sharing your hunt with the rest of us. Congratulations.

ravensfoot
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats on a very nice buck! Goof for you to look over that "one more hill"

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks a lot Coach. I don't think there's any negativity, I'm just trying to be pc on the internet. There's always a critic or two.

tooley
10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Nice buck congrats. That G-2 on the passenger side doesn't fork. I guess that must mean it's a Hybrid.

kennyj
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Way to always look over that last hill. Sometimes it pays off.
Nice buck.
kenny

Jelvis
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
You hunted hard and long. It paid dividends. Effort + Time = Success .....................
His Jellne$$ Conny Grat You Lations A happy satisfied Kamloops Mule deer hunter......
A Buckeroo2

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks Jelvis. It definitely was tough hunting. No road hunting for our group. Hiking, sitting, freezing in snow storms, sleeping in unheated tents below freezing. But he was 135lbs on the hook and my second 4 pointer of the season. Seems like the crazier the situation the better the odds.

Can someone elaborate on what exactly a hybrid is? I'm still learning the ropes. Just started hunting last year.

coach
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
A hybrid is a cross between a whitetail and a mule deer. One Theory is that a whitetail buck will breed a mule deer doe and produce a sterile offspring. There's lots of rumors - but not a lot of evidence. Often a mule deer with whitetail looking antlers gets called a hybrid - without much else to go on.

shaydog65
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=coach;1007893]A hybrid is a cross between a whitetail and a mule deer. One Theory is that a whitetail buck will breed a mule deer doe and produce a sterile offspring. There's lots of rumors - but not a lot of evidence. Often a mule deer with whitetail looking antlers gets called a hybrid - without much else to go on.[QUOTE]

My buddy and I were discussing how the main beams sweep forward more like a Whitey and only the 1 side has forked pairs. We were also commenting on how other Mulies we see on this site have very tall sweeping fork pairs. Is there a difference between provincial regions that causes the variations? Or are there different types of Mulies the way there are different types of blacktails? Or is this really caused by cross breeding of Whitey's and Blackies? Or are they just naturally different?

The other confusing topic was counting points. Of courseI would love to call mine a 5x4 but in the regs it says the first brow tine doesn't count in 4 point mulie region. What is the concensus on this topic?

moose2
10-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Congratulations on your buck he looks nice.
Mike

todbartell
10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
congrats on the buck. The pics are fine, after all - you *did* kill it

Gunner Staal
10-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Nice buck. Who gives a shit about the blood. You shot the deer and it bled. Theres no guts or junk hanging out. I think most on this site are hunters and see their fair share of blood when you kill an animal. I understand class of course but my god people. The hippies are getting to you! Way to go man! Double four point year is a great achievment.