PDA

View Full Version : License/tag question

onpoint
10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
OK so will likely get some heat as a stupid question but my buddy and I can't 100% figure this one out. Do you need to buy separate tags for every deer you bag, if you're in fact lucky enough to get more than one?? I was under the impression your "species license" was all you needed and you could take your provinicial limit or your LEH tag all on the same tag?? But when you read about the QCI as an example, the regs say no one may possess more than 15 deer licenses in any one year (or something along those lines). The point is I read that as saying you need a separate tag for every deer you want to take, whether that's GOS or LEH. But when I look at a tag, it seems as though its set up so that you can punch numerous regions/dates on the same tag and therefore you can use your one tag/species license for your limit?? I can't believe this isn't set out clear as day in the regs!! I await a tongue lashing on this one!

Davey Crockett
10-31-2011, 09:24 AM
One tag per animal, excluding those animals that don't require tags (grouse etc.). Whatever you do, don't punch multiple dates and regions on a tag!

fireguy
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Where did you take your CORE? your instructor needs to know

The Dude
10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Shortest thread EVER!

reach
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
As they say, the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked. Yes you need multiple species licenses if you plan to take more than one of that species, via GOS or LEH.

There's a separate section ("Deer Licenses", page 8 ) in the hunting regs with some detail on how many species licenses you're allowed to have. It's currently 3 mule/blacktail plus 3 whitetail. That does NOT allow you to shoot 6 deer; you still have to follow the regional and provincial bag limits. That's just the number of species licenses you're allowed to buy.

onpoint
10-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Where did you take your CORE? your instructor needs to know

Did not have to take the CORE. AS per BC regs, the Ontario version of the CORE is honoured here. Good example of why that may not be a perfect system, but it is what it is. And this is why I ask on HBC to be sure I know. I don't usually have to worry about bagging more than one in a season!

fireguy
10-31-2011, 09:41 AM
As they say, the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked. Yes you need multiple species licenses if you plan to take more than one of that species, via GOS or LEH.

I agree with you on the question, I also think his instructor should know what he is missing when he teaches his students, this is one thing that should not be missed. Answering the OP's question will only be part of the solution, the other part will be making sure all new hunters know this sort of thing and that starts with the ones teaching them.

fireguy
10-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Did not have to take the CORE. AS per BC regs, the Ontario version of the CORE is honoured here. Good example of why that may not be a perfect system, but it is what it is. And this is why I ask on HBC to be sure I know. I don't usually have to worry about bagging more than one in a season!

That answers my question then I guess, perhaps there should be a small online test or something, I would hate for someone like you to get a fine because you actually didn't know.

onpoint
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
That answers my question then I guess, perhaps there should be a small online test or something, I would hate for someone like you to get a fine because you actually didn't know.

I agree Fireguy...the more I hunt here the more I realize that the regs are VERY different from Ontario in a lot of various ways. If I were to recommend anything to the ministry on this one it would be like you suggested some sort of online testing re. the various bag-limits and province specific regs that just aren't a concern back East. The regs are a lot tighter back there and are laid-out so anyone can read the regs clearly (for the most part).

I also read that page in the regs about species licenses, etc. but it still wasn't 100% clear for me. The distinction between "species license" and "tag" seemed different but I was obviously reading it wrong. In my opinion its a simple sentence in bold in the regs stating that a hunter must purchase/have one species tag for every animal taken within the provincial/regional limit and/or LEH.

reach
10-31-2011, 10:07 AM
The word "tag" isn't used in the BC regulations, which leads to some confusion. People talk about deer tags, moose tags etc. and they're usually referring to species licenses. But then they also sometimes refer to LEH authorizations as "tags", which of course are completely different from species licenses.

In my mind "tag" == "species license". But it's easier to interpret the BC regs if you use the BC terminology, which is "species license" and "LEH authorization".

goatdancer
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Years ago there was a separate 'tag' that was attached to the animal after it was killed. That word has hung around, even though it's no longer relevant. Since each species license has a separate fee, how would one determine how many fees a person paid if multiple cancellations on one species license?

fireguy
10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
The word "tag" isn't used in the BC regulations, which leads to some confusion. People talk about deer tags, moose tags etc. and they're usually referring to species licenses. But then they also sometimes refer to LEH authorizations as "tags", which of course are completely different from species licenses.

In my mind "tag" == "species license". But it's easier to interpret the BC regs if you use the BC terminology, which is "species license" and "LEH authorization".

Same goes for antler restrictions, a 4 point here is a whole lot different than a 4 point in other places, it is explained in the regs but someone from somewhere else might miss that part or have a brain fart because they are used to something else.

Phreddy
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
No tongue lashing onpoint. When one reads the regs, they are very vague in some ways. As menitoned in earlier replies, the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. I might add that the only stupid answer is the one that dresses you down for asking.

onpoint
10-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Years ago there was a separate 'tag' that was attached to the animal after it was killed. That word has hung around, even though it's no longer relevant. Since each species license has a separate fee, how would one determine how many fees a person paid if multiple cancellations on one species license?

I agree goatdancer and it was that question that got me to ask. When I read "species license" I was thinking along the same lines as the small game license. One "umbrella" license that covers your limit, but clearly this was wrong. And what really had me worried was like you said, it makes more sense that the government/ministry would want to collect its cash on multiple "tags" within the limits allowed. I think the main point here is that the regs are NOT crystal clear on this and that's something that should not in any way be open to interpretation. I read this section in the regs a bunch of times yesterday and in all seriousness felt I could argue either side of it.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me, very good to know!

r0adki1l
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice to see somoen actually awnser the question people have to remember that not everyone can read or understand the regs. My father in law got his hunting licence yearsd ago (70's maybe??) and never actually used it now in his 50's he is going hunting, and i'll bet the course has changed since he took it.
Nevertheless I know i'll ask a lot of "Stupid questions" better to be thought "stupid" then assume and get it wrong...