PDA

View Full Version : Biggest muley tracks I've ever seen!

JDR
10-30-2011, 01:29 PM
To be honest, when I first saw these tracks I thought they were moose. Upon closer inspection I realized they weren't moose, but in fact deer.

The sad thing about finding these tracks is that I did a big loop and upon returning to my starting point I found these tracks over top of mine (made me feel sick, lol). I figured I missed the buck by about 15 minutes. I tracked him for over an hour and realized that he was cruising openings, probably looking for does. Eventually, he got into thicker and thicker bush perhaps looking for a place to bed. It became fruitless to continue the pursuit since he would have heard me long before I saw him.

Just thought I would post this up to show how big their tacks can get. I really hope I get a chance to see him before the season ends. Also, I found another set of tracks later on, paralleling his, that were about 2/3 the size. Not sure if another buck joined him or was following him.

30-06 shell beside track:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC1.jpg

More tracks:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC-1.jpg

His crap:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC4-1.jpg

His cover:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC3-1.jpg

lilhoss
10-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I'll bite.1st one,melted snow on a moose track, and not muley.The ones by your hat look like a cow & a calf.That scat can look like that too depending on the diet.Not all moose poop looks like almonds.

monasheemountainman
10-30-2011, 01:37 PM
definately moose

Glenny
10-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Moose poop looks like that sometimes too. Not always almonds. It doesn't taste like almonds either. heh heh

rifleman
10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
snow melted, moose track?????

Jelvis
10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I want to say that this track could be from a monster mule deer buck.
It could be one of the biggest buck tracks ever recorded, the dung is huge and typical of a big animal.
Jp .. I want to know where you saw that track? Please don't say on the ground. :-D
It's got to be near Carpinder Lake Jake, only the huge live there.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-30-2011, 01:54 PM
i hope it's a mulie.

JDR
10-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll bite.1st one,melted snow on a moose track, and not muley.The ones by your hat look like a cow & a calf.That scat can look like that too depending on the diet.Not all moose poop looks like almonds.

No, the track was definately on top of the snow. I should have taken the pics right away but I was in hot pursuit. My hat is beside the same tracks of the same animal, not two different ones. The other tracks didn't join the first set until much later, so I doubt cow and calf.

I'll admit I could be wrong, but I guess when I saw the crap I thought definately looks like deer. I also checked the distance between the tracks and it was at the most 15 inches apart. I thought moose would've been a lot longer...

Jelvis
10-30-2011, 01:59 PM
This could be a record mule deer buck on the rut rounds all by his lonesome.
Could be any wheres from 300 to 360 pounds on the hoof.
I'd go back Jack.
Jelly (Billy Jack). That's one huge track .. wide and long john ..

Whonnock Boy
10-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Came across a some Moose dung just like what is in your pic. I am going to say those tracks are that of a Moose. That would have to be one hell of a Muley.

JDR
10-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Came across a some Moose dung just like what is in your pic. I am going to say those tracks are that of a Moose. That would have to be one hell of a Muley.

Well, this area is known for BIG mulies, but there are moose in the area as well...

Jelvis
10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Moose tend to splay (V) the hoof more in mossy soil so with csi precision the track appears to be a huge mule buck that has escaped the dangers of the wild for at least five seasons in a row, therefore growing into a massive specimen.
Jel .. Where abouts did you see this fresh track Carpenter comes to mind mules a plenty

husky30-06
10-30-2011, 03:54 PM
all the pros on here will knock it down that it may be a mulie..........found one that size in two different areas. they were both bigger then my rifle round and one was as big as my hat. good luck chasing that big guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanuckShooter
10-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Photo-shopped fur sure.....;-).....looks like spike-fork bull moose to me....

JDR
10-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Moose tend to splay (V) the hoof more in mossy soil so with csi precision the track appears to be a huge mule buck that has escaped the dangers of the wild for at least five seasons in a row, therefore growing into a massive specimen.
Jel .. Where abouts did you see this fresh track Carpenter comes to mind mules a plenty

Okanagan, Jelly.

fireguy
10-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Could be elk as well, I'm no expert, so I won't even guess without seeing it in person, pictures sometimes can be decieving

BCrams
10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Moose!!

Not deer!

JDR
10-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Could be elk as well, I'm no expert, so I won't even guess without seeing it in person, pictures sometimes can be decieving

No elk in this area.

Jelvis
10-30-2011, 06:16 PM
A huge buck track can be the same size as a bull calf moose and is confusing to even the best field biologists around the McBride area especially ..
Jel .. See and believe .. many have been deceived and walked away wrong ..

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
A bit of advice: get rid of the 30/06 and buy a big magnum. There's no way in hell a 30/06 will take down an animal that big.

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
A bit of advice: get rid of the 30/06 and buy a big magnum. There's no way in hell a 30/06 will take down an animal that big.

FisherDude you have finally come to your senses !
300 wby mag all the way :mrgreen:

curt
10-30-2011, 07:12 PM
300 wby is perfect and when you get bored you can shoot dowm planes for fun!!! :)

OutWest
10-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Come on Pat you've seen what I've taken down with my 30-06! :D

JDR
10-30-2011, 08:32 PM

I know you're being facetious, but why waste the powder when you don't need to! This animal is bigger:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/BullElk201115-1.jpg

4pointer91
10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting ...I've recently seen dung like that, thought it to be a large deer but I'm not sure now ...any "DUNG" experts out there?

3kills
10-30-2011, 09:46 PM
i would say a small bull moose or an elk. even if elk arent "knowen" to the area doesnt mean they arent in the area.

JDR
10-30-2011, 10:28 PM
i would say a small bull moose or an elk. even if elk arent "knowen" to the area doesnt mean they arent in the area.

Definitely no elk in the area...wrong side of the lake. I've hunted the area for years and know lots of others that have, and elk have never been seen there, so it's either moose or muley. Here's a picture of the first dollop that it dropped, not sure if that helps, lol:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC5.jpg

Jelvis
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Ok now I see an Elk. Why? Dished in poop pellets, see how the individual droppings have a dip in the sides like an indentation. That is an elk.
Jel .. A closer look reveals elk droppings, moose and deer don't cave in like that.
Now you know there is an elk there in the bush where you hunt ........................

JDR
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok now I see an Elk. Why? Dished in poop pellets, see how the individual droppings have a dip in the sides like a indentation. That is an elk.
Jel .. A closer look reveals elk droppings, moose and deer don't cave in like that.
Now you know there is an elk there in the bush where you hunt ........................

Saying there is elk there is like saying there's elk in Westbank, Peachland or Summerland. I've never heard of it and have hunted those places for years. Has anyone seen elk in any of these places, I sure haven't?

fireguy
10-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I have seen elk above Peachland, a few years back but there was a small bull there.

landphil
10-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I've seen moose crap exactly like that, the "dished" pellets and all. You wanna know how i was 100% sure it was moose crap? It dropped out when I started moving the bull to gut it. I was a little suprised at the shape/clumping, but it was pretty positive proof.

3kills
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Saying there is elk there is like saying there's elk in Westbank, Peachland or Summerland. I've never heard of it and have hunted those places for years. Has anyone seen elk in any of these places, I sure haven't?

there is always elk in places that peopke have never seen them before. there is elk around harmon lake in merritt there is elk up on helmer or at least there was at one time. there is even elk up near chattaway lake. just cuz no one sees them does not mean they are not there.

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Of course, the photos are of a moose track, not an elk or deer track.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Definitely no elk in the area...wrong side of the lake. I've hunted the area for years and know lots of others that have, and elk have never been seen there, so it's either moose or muley. Here's a picture of the first dollop that it dropped, not sure if that helps, lol:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC5.jpg

There are elk on the westside....not many but they're here.

SSS

budismyhorse
10-31-2011, 08:53 AM
someday you'll realize how ridiculous it is to think those are deer tracks.

but its great to have passion for hunting so keep it up!

10-31-2011, 09:25 AM

but its great to have passion for hunting so keep it up!

Kinda what i was thinking,, But who am i

Jelvis
10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Up by Barriere in the snow a few years back we saw a mule deer track that was 4 inches long, the biggest track known to the local hunters from that tiny hunting town.
Some hunters were scrambling around in confusion looking and pointing at the ground where the mammoth track was located.
Jel veeno .. Believe it or Not? .. 4 inches l-o-n-g .. 3 inches w-i-d-e ..... they do abide

JDR
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm certainly no expert like you are.

It was the dung that really threw me off of it being a moose, but clearly others have seen dung like that from a moose.

JDR
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
There are elk on the westside....not many but they're here.

SSS

Clearly I don't hunt there or Peachland enough to know. Had no idea there were elk there as I'm sure many others didn't.

303carbine
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
To be honest, when I first saw these tracks I thought they were moose. Upon closer inspection I realized they weren't moose, but in fact deer.

The sad thing about finding these tracks is that I did a big loop and upon returning to my starting point I found these tracks over top of mine (made me feel sick, lol). I figured I missed the buck by about 15 minutes. I tracked him for over an hour and realized that he was cruising openings, probably looking for does. Eventually, he got into thicker and thicker bush perhaps looking for a place to bed. It became fruitless to continue the pursuit since he would have heard me long before I saw him.

Just thought I would post this up to show how big their tacks can get. I really hope I get a chance to see him before the season ends. Also, I found another set of tracks later on, paralleling his, that were about 2/3 the size. Not sure if another buck joined him or was following him.

30-06 shell beside track:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC1.jpg

More tracks:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC-1.jpg

His crap:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC4-1.jpg

His cover:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202011/HBC3-1.jpg

You're too late, that looks like gatehouse's footie print next to that critter track. Better luck next time.:mrgreen: PS, you dropped your hat and a couple 30-06 rounds.....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Clearly I don't hunt there or Peachland enough to know. Had no idea there were elk there as I'm sure many others didn't.

There's a small herd that winters near a friend's cabin behind Peachland. Not all that far of a jog from Princeton or a swim across the lake( back in 2003 when the heat was on).
There was a 5 pt bull hit on the hwy near Antler's beach a few yrs ago. Had a pic of it.

SSS

JDR
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
You're too late, that looks like gatehouse's footie print next to that critter track. Better luck next time.:mrgreen: PS, you dropped your hat and a couple 30-06 rounds.....

Ahaha, that's my footprint. Like I said I wish I had taken pics when it was fresh, but I was in chase mode. Yeah I left my hat and rounds there as momentos of the buck I will never see :wink: :twisted:.

JDR
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
There's a small herd that winters near a friend's cabin behind Peachland. Not all that far of a jog from Princeton or a swim across the lake( back in 2003 when the heat was on).
There was a 5 pt bull hit on the hwy near Antler's beach a few yrs ago. Had a pic of it.

SSS

They are definitely spreading out. IIRC, a bull was shot illegally near falkland last year.

bighornbob
10-31-2011, 12:21 PM

During the fires of 2003 there were reports of about6-7 cows and one bull swimming the lake and coming out in peach land. Also had a picture emailed to me of a dead bull in the ditch that a truck hit by Antler beach.

Also from where elk are being seen and shot from the Priceton herd, it would be short days walk for them to be in peach land.

Bhb

Elkaholic2010
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Have seen elk behind peachland, and also seen elk back in by the Headwaters area. They are there.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks exactly like a moose track to me .

Jelvis
10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
The reason it's hard to inspect and identify on this wonderful screen here ahhh,
if I was there I could tell you for sure butt on a picture in melting snow etc.
Jel be track aware. If the snow around the track melts out only an expert tracker of animals like the deer family, the whole Fam Damilee. Could guesstimate with science.
Some new snow trackers of deer tend to get excited when they see a big hoof print in the morning snow which is very shallow btw. On wet underhoofing.
An interested hunter will bite and go like the wind b4 the snow melts just to get a look at that monster track maker, a shaker, a baker a dandy rack maker.
Deer Trackers my name hunting's my game you know my handle remember Tony Randel