PDA

View Full Version : Chataway lake

twr
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
looking for info on Chataway lake... going Remembrance day weekend. looking for moose, deer, any info is greatly appreciated. has anyone had any success there? also probably gonna stay at the chataway cabins.

BearSniper
10-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Can't speak much about Moose, but the last time I was in there in fall 2009. I saw a fair amount of deer sign. After it snowed, lots of cat sign as well.

3kills
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
good area but been logged pretty hard lots of the roads have been deactivated pretty hard from what i have been told. havent been in there since i missed the biggest buck i have ever shot at. my brother inlaw got excited and shot at the lil buck just as i was about to shoot the big one big one got away. anways havent heard much for moose sign in there this yea rbut the deer will be there just gotta work for them and if u get some snow u will be good to go if u are goin down the deacivted areas.

bosca
10-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I used to hunt in the area quite a bit about 10 years ago and pulled out many moose. Was excellent moose country through out....Roscoe lk, Antler lk. and Billy ok. Since then it has been logged really hard and highland valley has restricted access to a lot of the areas that we used to hunt. Also, a lot of the trails and roads we used have been chopped up beyond recognition.

There are lots of nice big swamps but I don't know about moose population any more.

Good luck on your hunt.

Glenny
10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
There are several threads at least. do a search.

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
lots of beetle kill but a fair amount of new growth, lots of logging roads and cutblocks and tons of deer.

recoil
04-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Lots of deer and lots of hunters, roads can get very nasty quite early depending on weather, got stuck up there pretty bad last year in about 20" of fresh snow, that was mid November. Bring chains and a winch you may need them if you want to get off the beaten path.