PDA

View Full Version : meat with shot in it question

pointandshoot
10-30-2011, 07:09 AM
ok guys, i got a nice 3 point that looks like he's had a bit of a tough go in life. looks like one of his front legs had been broke and healed wonky, and when i skinned him out i found some "shot" under his hide. on one of the rear legs (where he had been shot) the muscle has basically been blown away. now i don't know how much shot might be imbedded into the meat, but i'm sure some will be in there. i can't tell if its lead or steel (test with a magnet later), but assuming its lead would you guys worry about it (the fact that lead was in that section for a year plus) or just pick out the bb's and grind away?

whoever took a poke at this guy really wasn't thinking. looks like he was aiming at the a$$ end shooting a shotgun. i will have to mic the bb's to see what they were shooting, i'm curious because its bigger that 7 1/2 bird shot...but its nowhere close to 00 either. nice...

thanks guys

doubled
10-30-2011, 07:36 AM
I just shake my head at some people. That sucks big time.

cariboobill
10-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Here are the facts. Shooting Toxic metal at an animal you intent to eat is really something you should do research on. Google the CDC study on lead bullets and the Scientific American article on the same and then google North Dakota on lead bullets study they did. That should give you your answer. In some cases the lead will transfer up to 20 inches from the bullet hole. Lead bullets were designed in the 1800's. Get a Non-Toxic bullets designed today.

I hope others read this about using any type of lead bullets is NOT good for your kids and others in fact the research points to a real problem with lead bullet use.

CB

RayHill
10-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Just cut away all the shot meat and you will be fine, just make sure you get it all out.

Rainsford
10-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I thankfully don't have any experience with this type of situation but lead poisoning is not something I would want to risk. That being said I wouldn’t throw it all out. I would not just cut the bb out, I would also cut out a good sized chunk of the surrounding area.
Sorry to hear this and that’s sucks big time you had to cut a tag for it.

Glenny
10-30-2011, 10:15 AM
CB is right. i woud probably chuck that hind.

~T-BONE~
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
pick through seam it out u will be able to tell whats no good or not... im sure itll b fine.

JAFA
10-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Sounds like the deer had enough and committed suicide.
J.

Gateholio
10-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Id' cut out any shot and a bit of meat around it. Usually foreign objects will get covered in some slimy stuff, to protect the rest of the body.

Rhyno
10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I shot an elk last year that had 2 bullets resting against it scapula. A cyst had formed around the effected area, I chucked that and anything touching it. I started to worry about the lead making its way through the bloodstream and into the rest of the meat. Since I was feeding it to my pregnant wife and little girl I sent off a sample to be tested. No measurable level of lead was detected ( in part per million). As previously suggested get rid of the immediate area and you will be fine.

pointandshoot
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
just doing up the deer now, took a break and mic'ed the shot. 3.55mm or .140inch is what i measured it out as...nice. so the way i see it, someone was grousin or water foulin an bumped into this guy and decided to take a poke at him. one reason i pack a few slugs with me when i'm going out with the scatter gun, but to shoot at a big game animal with this load is just dumb. sure it "could" drop him, but i guess we already have our answer as to if #3 shot will drop a deer....