PDA

View Full Version : Tidy Tank

dakoda62
10-30-2011, 05:57 AM
I aquired a 300 liter tidy tankrecently. Plan on using it for northern hunts save on hauling gerry cans. Any body know the regulations for hauling gasoline in these tanks, such as placards, transportation of dangerous goods etc. Plan on hauling it on the quad trailer.

Ride Red
10-30-2011, 06:44 AM
It has to be a double wall tank to carry gas. Diesel only needs to be a single wall.

barry1974w
10-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Don't quote me, but I think you can get away with single wall for everything less than 90 gallons (400 liter I think). But hey, I've been wrong before...

Lucky77_
10-30-2011, 07:54 AM
you can check with tidy tanks of langley, but as far as i know for gas they are a special tank

bc mike
10-30-2011, 09:12 AM
You are good with a 300 liter tank. They do not require inspection. Make sure it is in good shape and secured to your truck / trailer. Put the correct product placard on it, a fueling procedure placard, 2- 10 lb bc fire ext. and a spill kit. The spill kit should have a spill response plan in it. You can get them from a bulk petro station. Older tanks do have rust problems that can mess with your trip. Put a filter on it and take spares.

Good luck.

Mountain Hunter
10-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Do single wall tanks have an issue with condensation and resulting water in the gas? If so, would a double wall cut down on this? This is the reason why I haven't got one for those long road trips.

bc mike
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't say condensation is an issue that prevents using tanks. There will always be moisture in fuel tanks. Over time rust will form on the inside of the tanks. The double wall tanks are expensive. Buy a good single wall 99 gal or less tank and put a filter on the discharge. A simple spin on water seperator will work fine. Buy one with a clear bowl so you can monitor the quality.

Mr. Dean
10-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't say condensation is an issue that prevents using tanks. There will always be moisture in fuel tanks. Over time rust will form on the inside of the tanks. The double wall tanks are expensive. Buy a good single wall 99 gal or less tank and put a filter on the discharge. A simple spin on water seperator will work fine. Buy one with a clear bowl so you can monitor the quality.

x2 with the exception that I'm not sure where the capacity 'line' is, when it comes to needing inspections.

I gotta aluminium fuel tank off of a semi truck. The plan is to build it a cradle and chain it down to my equipment trailer, for hunting season - Elect pump, water separator, I should be good to GO.

TimberPig
10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
x2 with the exception that I'm not sure where the capacity 'line' is, when it comes to needing inspections.

I gotta aluminium fuel tank off of a semi truck. The plan is to build it a cradle and chain it down to my equipment trailer, for hunting season - Elect pump, water separator, I should be good to GO.

450 litres or less does not need to meet Transport Canada's inspections.

Mr. Dean
10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
450 litres or less does not need to meet Transport Canada's inspections.

I take it that you're 'in the know'?

My aluminum tank is 420 ltr's. It's designated/stamped as "Diesel Only". But I think that's because it came off a diesel burner and not gas driver.... Kinda like when you see the wording on the inside of the fuel door, of a diesel P/U truck, that states the same.

Old Crow
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I have a 450 Ltr Tidy tank I got with a used truck.No pump or filler neck.Any idea on a price?Could use some beer money

TimberPig
10-30-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a 450 Ltr Tidy tank I got with a used truck.No pump or filler neck.Any idea on a price?Could use some beer money

There's one listed in Williams Lake, older, no pump etc, no leaks for $50. Not sure if it's still for sale or if its gone.

TimberPig
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I take it that you're 'in the know'?

My aluminum tank is 420 ltr's. It's designated/stamped as "Diesel Only". But I think that's because it came off a diesel burner and not gas driver.... Kinda like when you see the wording on the inside of the fuel door, of a diesel P/U truck, that states the same.

All the info is available on Transport Canada's TDG website, with some listed on Tidy Tank's site as well as Enviro Slip's site.

One Shot
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Do single wall tanks have an issue with condensation and resulting water in the gas? If so, would a double wall cut down on this? This is the reason why I haven't got one for those long road trips.

Number of walls is not an issue. Condensation comes from the expansion and contraction of air in the tank pulling in moist air during the contraction or cooling phase of the said air in the tank. Keeping your tank full as possible minimizes this as well as parking your vehicle/tank in the shade on hot days.