PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Antlerless LEH Mule Deer hunt in MU 3-42

Madeson
10-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello to those hunters who know region 3 like the back of their hand. I’m hoping for some guiding direction from you who know more than I. I was lucky enough to draw a mule deer antlerless hunt in MU 3-42 accessed through Vavenby which starts Nov. 1. I had planned to go up and scout the area but could not; family stuff.

I was wondering if anyone on this site might have any suggestions as to specific areas in 3-42 hunt Muley does or hunting strategies as to where and how to find them in good concentrations. I’m used to hunting deer in agricultural fields and the terrain in this area is so out of my comfort zone. I would love any advice anyone could also give on how to take a Muley buck when I‘m there as well along with maybe suggestions as to the best time before Nov. 31st to go on this hunt for best results. Thanks so much.
Cheers

ravensfoot
10-30-2011, 12:10 AM
My advice is study google maps and bring your compass

BearStump
10-30-2011, 12:14 AM
well I guess you haven't been out yet. got a mulie doe tag...so go drive some roads and shoot one. Yah its that easy.

peashooter
10-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Pick a road and try not to run one over when they dive off the road and stop to look and see what kind of truck you drive, hop out and shoot the fattest one. I think that's pretty much how it will go down.

beni
10-30-2011, 04:01 AM
If you can't find one, you should quit hunting.

Go out during the morning or later afternoon, if you are hunting midday check the cutblocks off the sides of roads which you can't really see from the road.

If you decide to come in from Vavenby, around the middle to end of November... GOOD LUCK!!. the snow can make the road damn near impossible to drive. I recommend driving in from somewhere else. Many hunters have been stuck trying to get back over the peak.

Plus, you CAN spot a mulie doe anywhere along the road during that time. We don't even bother counting them, my father has a draw like yours.... IMO it's not really hunting, more like... Road Shopping.

realneil
10-30-2011, 06:22 AM
i have the same draw as well. we were thinking of getting in there from vavenby, if there is too much snow you can go up the west side of adams lake the whole way from agate bay. i am thinking that it wont be too technical of a hunt. a friend of mine has a moose draw in there. he had been in there scouting and didnt think there was a lot of good muley spots however a different friend let me know that there was lots of good areas. hopefully you havent got a small buck in region 3 already as there is a decent chance you could run into mr big while looking for one of his little ladies. good luck.

Sitkaspruce
10-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Took me all of an hour to fill my tag a couple years ago.

Find a side road and go for a walk, once you find a doe, watch her to make sure there is no bucks with her.

Lots of does around, just get out for a walk.

Cheers

SS

dana
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Sitka,
IIRC, you had the draw in 3-41 not 3-42? 3-42 is on the other side of the mountains. And nope, not a walk in the park at all for getting a muley doe. They funnel down to the lake to the south slopes of 3-37. Finding one in 3-42 is a tough haul and takes a lot of work and luck. It is one of those easy to draw units for a reason. Best chances would be to focus on the road systems at the very south end of the unit. Word of caution, lots of wood is being hauled out of the Harbour right now. It is a tight road and if you don't have a radio, you probably don't want to meet a loaded logging truck unawares on that road.
As for Rd 2 Vavenby Adams, the snow has been piling up over the last week but I would expect it to be plowed soon due to the mine access for Oliver. Plenty of pickup traffic will be traveling over it due to the logging and the mine.

Sitkaspruce
10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Dana

Yup your right, was 41, not 42.

Take Dana's advice, he knows that area well.

Cheers

SS