PDA

View Full Version : limited out on teals!!!!!!

aliagha
10-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Got out at 2:30 for an evening's hunt, the weather was nice but the ducks were no where to be seen. it was low tide in the afternoon and most birds were at around 200 yards from the shore. very slow day! put out some deeks but the ducks weren't interested. at around 5:30 we decided to call it a day and head back but as we started packing a flock of teals flew about 5 feets above our heads!! the Guns were loaded AGAIN!! and then the birds started coming in and in about 20 mins, I had my first Limit on Green wings and dad got a couple of nice mallards! we would have missed the entire action if we had left early.! great day out.
ALI

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392834_10150334757541920_700766919_8495656_2144581 430_n.jpg

nano
10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Well done, all your hard work paid off. Congrats!

Crazy_Farmer
10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Some gooooooood eats!

lorneparker1
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Sweet deal! Lesson learned, don't leave till you the end of legal!

d6dan
10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Good shootin' Ali..

Spirit's Master
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a good day all round.

Did you get a chance to flash up the spinner?

cwf

aliagha
10-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Guys! it was sure a lot of fun shooting em', I missed the first 5 shots in a row, made me question, are the teals faster then my 3' no. 2 shots??..
Oh ya forgot to mention about the spinner, The spinner worked well, sucked in a nice Mallard hen for me but I missed :( , there wasn't much movement in the day time so not much action. the teals came in well though. Was out today again and the numbers were less than yesterday but managed to get 3 birds, 2 green wings and a nice Hen Pintail.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/373854_10150335802321920_700766919_8507186_1932478 740_n.jpg

aliagha
10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Sweet deal! Lesson learned, don't leave till you the end of legal!
oh Definitely, you won't find me leaving the field unless i am out of shells or the times up. and even if i have had my limit, i will still stay to witness the showdown! the best action will happen in the last 30 mins of legal!
those teals are just soo fast and fly super close, i am thinking about going for a smaller shot size than 4's, if there are any?

aliagha
10-30-2011, 08:46 PM
and Also, For the second time in a row I had a beautiful ring neck pheasant land right in the grass 20 yards from me, and for twice in a row i ran after it but couldn't flush him out of the thick grass!!!! it wasn't a huge patch of tall grass but still it didn't flush! Do they just hide in there??? What to do???

lorneparker1
10-30-2011, 09:01 PM
nice gun, what is it?

FirePower
10-30-2011, 09:25 PM
and Also, For the second time in a row I had a beautiful ring neck pheasant land right in the grass 20 yards from me, and for twice in a row i ran after it but couldn't flush him out of the thick grass!!!! it wasn't a huge patch of tall grass but still it didn't flush! Do they just hide in there??? What to do???

There is and answer to that Ali, a SPANIEL lol. Nice work on the teal.

Sasquatch
10-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Sometimes they run pretty fast once they are in cover - flying is usually their last resort. Was the area open for pheasants? If so, it would of made a nice mixed bag.

Congrats on sticking it out for a nice evening hunt.

aliagha
10-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Sometimes they run pretty fast once they are in cover - flying is usually their last resort. Was the area open for pheasants? If so, it would of made a nice mixed bag.

Congrats on sticking it out for a nice evening hunt.

yup the area was open! Its just that they fly so low and you see it just before they land in the grass. today was no different, as soon as i saw it land, about 20 yards and ran towards him, heard him ran through the grass but couldn't flush him, I spent a good 10 mins and walked through every feet of the patch but nope, then the ducks started coming in so i went back to my initial spot which was surrounded by nice n low grass, and after 10 mins or so the pheasant flushed right from where I was walking and all I could do was to stand there and watch him land a half mile into another patch! Somebody out there please invent a ROBO FLUSHER LIKE the mojo deek lol!

aliagha
10-30-2011, 11:33 PM
nice gun, what is it?
Its a Mossberg Silver Reserve 3', which i got for my 16th birthday! I bought it from a fellow HBC member! Although its not as well made as a Remington or a Winchester, It has proven to be a great work horse for me, i have been using it for almost 2 years and shot everything from clays, Ducks, geese, Grouse and Dad got a White tail doe with it last year. plus it looks good :)

Johnnybear
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
There is and answer to that Ali, "a good hunting dog of any breed for bird work " lol. Nice work on the teal.

I fixed it for ya FirePower.

Nice work on the ducks aliagah!! great report.

Foxton Gundogs
11-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I fixed it for ya FirePower.

Nice work on the ducks aliagah!! great report.

You can't balme FP, JB he's an "Englishman" he won't talk to the "Golden side" of me.LMFatAO.(Just kidding FP BUT after that last curse of 4 remark) I will say tho my spaniels do out work my Goldens in that los tight cover, they go right under it right where the birds go.