PDA

View Full Version : Immature Bull Moose Identification - FRUSTRATION! (And second moose rut is on)

Ltbullken
10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I go out with my kid in tow, late afternoon hunt around Kamloops, road hunting. I wasn't really anticipating we would run into anything - thinking that maybe I'd get a poke at a WT doe - when at 5:30 and 20 meters off the road we see 2 moose, a cow and a bull!! The bull had 4 points on one side and the other side was definite fork horn with a 'bump'. Watched them for 10 minutes, no panic in the animals, lots of time to see the point with binos and scope at 10 X. But couldn't resolve if the 'point' was legal, at least an inch tall but lesser at the base, etc. EVEN had time to glance at the regs!! Really borderline close. Looked legal but I'm sure that a lot of hunters see a legal bull only to be surprised when they see the animal! Going back tomorrow to see if I can get another glance at him. Positive it was legal but gotta be sure.

Other than that, it was interesting to note that the bull was closely tending the cow, his nose in the air, so I don't think she was impregnated yet. Second moose rut is on guys! Go ahead and cow call. Got an immy last year at this time calling.

Ltbullken
10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Here's a pic.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=25231&title=kamloops-moose&cat=500

Gateholio
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
You are hunting immature moose, eh? That is some irony, right there.:-D:twisted:

butthead
10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
best to walk

Ltbullken
10-29-2011, 10:19 PM
You are hunting immature moose, eh? That is some irony, right there.:-D:twisted:

Ha haa! I know what you're referring to and it's apples and oranges! And yea, best to take a walk.

This was a breeder bull so no he was no infant!

cariboobill
10-30-2011, 07:40 AM
I am back from 10 days of searching for two Immature I had in my scope at 80 yards earlier in Sept before the season opened. But now the big boys have the little ones hiding, I still saw lots of moose while looking for the small boys, just not the two IM I saw 3 weeks before.

Good luck!