PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tents?

steepNdeep
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey boys, Looking for a wall tent for 3-4 guys with a stove for my new base camp. What do you use? Any suggestions? Pics!

I'm looking for a little more comfort than the Ford Motel has been offering lately... :lol: Here's a pic of my (chilly) suite last year:
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/SnD-truck-blizzard.jpg

Marc
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Dleuxewalltents is a sponsor on this site and make a great product. Check out their tents at www.deluxewalltents.com (http://www.deluxewalltents.com)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Dean-You should have picked up that one Angry Bob won at the Sheep Show. I think that made 3 or 4 that he had. Some guys have all the luck:rolleyes: . That one was donated by Deluxe Wall Tents. Nice unit!8)
I'm in the market for one as well but I'm looking for a used smaller one (6x9 or 8x10) for fly-ins or throwing in the boat.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
I'd grab a 12x14 if the price was right

Seth
09-20-2006, 07:38 PM
By the looks of that avatar the Ford seems to be serving you just fine. . .

steepNdeep
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
SSS - Who's Bob and why is he angry? Actually most of the Bob's I know are... Did u come over from hunshoot? Too many fricken whiners over there these days... actually I see some of them here too. Anyways, this cool snap has got me psyched to get out there. This weekend I'm going to do some callin' for some boys that have a bull elk draw around here... and I'm one sleeeeezy cow..8-)

browningboy
09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
We use a collaspeable cabin, we used 3/8" plywood and formed the room size you want ( 4 ft modules 8ft high), some pieces can have a window, and one your stove opening, use 1" X 4" to screw joints together and have canvas roof, if you use a cordless drill it kicks ass! and the wind won't bother you as well. We made ours the month before we left in our back yard and highlited the joints and numbered the panels, its the only way to go and replacement panels are cheap!:twisted:

Rod
09-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Browningboy how about some pics?

talver
09-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Wall tents are good but the Ford Motel has the cheapest rates in town it also has the quickest set up time and take down time. Just joking Ive been on my share of ford motel hunts not fun wall tent or camper or the way to go

ratherbefishin
09-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I use a 10x20 portable tarp garage-great for keeping out of the rain,and has lots of room to cook, store gear, sit around etc.This year I think I'm going to make plywood end panels and put a stove ring through one end and a door.I will attach the panels by screwing on a piece of slotted PVC pipe which will attach to the garage frame.The tarp sags a bit in the rain-and that makes a handy catch basin for fresh water-no worries about beaver fever!

steepNdeep
09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Pics pls!! With homemade contraptions, pics are a must... I've had a camper for years, but I think I'd prefer a wall tent with a big wood stove. Which do you guys prefer?

K-1
09-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I have 2 w/t ,,a 9x12 with a med. size airtight (oval) store and a 16x18 with a large home made stove. There very nice to come back to when you are wet, at least you have a place to dry your stuff . This year my son has borrowed a camper, this will be our first time in one so we'll see how we like it.

bigwhiteys
09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
My dad gave me his 14'x14' "Eena" tent after our sheep hunt this year...

The "Eenas" are made by Beckel Canvas. These are the some of the same tents my grandparents used as outfitters. They switched to these from traditional walls as they were easier to pack, faster to setup and very weather hardy. Not to mention it weighs only like 30 pounds or so with poles.

With the wood stove it's like Jamaica inside. Beckel is at the Rocky Mountain Elk Shows every year with these tents.

These will run you $700 or so. My dad has some mods done to this one so it was a little pricier.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

GoatGuy
09-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh yeah forgot to mention we also made a 'wall tent' with. I believe it was 10X20 with 6' walls. The frame was made out of PVC covered it with a couple of monster tarps. It was kinda neat but you had to knock the snow off if you got a big dump.

Like the canvas one I have better - keeps the heat in better and not as worried with snow load.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2006, 12:22 PM
There's nothing like a wood heat from a wall tent to dry out your gear.

If I had $ to burn I would be getting myself one of the Kifaru Paratipis for late season backpack hunting. Two man unit including center pole, wood stove and pipe the weighs in at 5 1/2 lbs8) ! Not cheap but pretty cool!

SSS

steepNdeep
09-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks boys! Although I'd only use it for a base camp, I like the idea of minimum poles and weight.

Bigwhiteys - Does that Eena have a stove jack? How many poles does it take?

Jesse - Can you get the name of the manufacturer of your circular tent?

SSS - I think my elk hunting pard is staying in a Paratipi that a friend owns, right now. I'll get the report from him when they get back or when I get the call to go pack meat...

For our spike camps we use a Hennessy Hammock. They weigh less than 3 lbs, are comfortable, have a bug screen and rain fly and your don't need a thermarest. I think they are the sh!t for e-shelters and spike camps... (although we call them bear burritos and you do feel a bit exposed :shock: ). Here's a pic from our elk hunt.http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bbs-hammock.jpg

bigwhiteys
09-22-2006, 01:45 PM
The "Eenas" do have a stove jack in them and in total they have 5 poles.

1 short pole on each corner and 1 in the center the poles are included... Very easy to setup.

http://www.beckelcanvas.com/Tents.htm for a link to pics and other info.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

steepNdeep
09-22-2006, 01:51 PM
'Whiteys - is the stove jack in the middle or on one side?

bigwhiteys
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
You can order the stove pipe hole wherever you want it when they build the tent. The one my dad gave me he ordered it with the jack in the center.

Carl

steepNdeep
09-26-2006, 08:33 AM
SSS - I think my elk hunting pard is staying in a Paratipi that a friend owns, right now. I'll get the report from him when they get back or when I get the call to go pack meat...

SSS - Yeah, my friend does have a Paratipi 8 man w/ stove. They used it as base camp and said it IS the shit! I can't believe it only weighs ~5 lbs!! I might have to buck up and get one...

kutenay
09-26-2006, 09:02 AM
A couple of points here, the Kifaru Paratipi is a specific two man model, which weighs about 3.5 lbs and about 6.5 lbs with stove; this is really a ONE MAN tent with stove, is a bit slow to erect in certain conditions and the tipi ALONE now costs about $700.00 CDN landed here, this is based on owning one since June/05.

The 8 man tipi with large stove weighs about 15-18 lbs, all up and costs about two grand, landed here, based on my Kifaru 2006 catalogue and owning this rig as well. It can be a bit dicey for one man to quickly erect in strong winds and requires a "footprint" area which is large and hard to find in B.C. I have a lot of Kifaru gear, it is generally among the best I have seen/used in many years, BUT, it is NOT as simple or affordable as some may think. I consider it best for relatively dry climates and plateau-like terrain, where it was developed.

For a single man, I actually prefer my Integral Designs MKI-XL or for partners, the ID MKIII, both with footprint and vestibule. These are the BEST tents I have owned/used or seen while working in the industry and they are NOT cheap, BUT, they WILL absolutely keep you safe and comfy in the worst conditions and can be very warm with a candle lantern or propane heater.

I strongly suggest looking at the Hilleberg Atlas combo tent, heated with a propane heater and lanterns. This tent was developed for and used at the South Pole and it is just amazing; Hilleberg has a fabulous reputation and are, surprise, NOT cheap! But, this is actually more fuel efficient, IMO, than many a wall tent/woodstove setup and is quicker to erect by far. Another option is the very light tents made by Empire Canvas Works and they have stoves, as well.

I have spent a lot of my life living in tents and I hate wall tents due to dampness, mildew, odours, weight, setup and because I am an ornery old b**tard,, anyway. So, while they may be great for some and that's good, I thought I would suggest some options. One point about Kifaru is that their delivery can be very slow due to the military aspect of their company and the tipis actually work best with liners, the stoves and are really suited to about 1/3 of the sleeping number for active hunting duty, plu by the time you get them here, they cost serious coin. HTH.

steepNdeep
09-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I thought 5 lbs was light, but even ~8 lbs it is extremely light compared to a wall tent! Here are the weights: http://www.kifaru.net/TPcomponents.htm He did pay ~$2k for it... The next best thing to owning the toy is a friend with the toy... :)

kutenay
09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Yup, my actual packed 8-man goes over 16 lbs. as I said because I bought a 12 man bag for it to ease packing in really cold weather ( many nights on Kokanee Glacier taught me a few tricks!) plus I have the liner, a MUST with this rig here in BC and spare pegs as the factory ones do not work that well. So, if you use the Kifaru Snow pegs or large spikes for hard snow, rocky soil or ice, as I found out last week you HAVE to, you will go from 15-18 lbs. Now, this IS worth it, but, I prefer an ID or Hilleberg tent for 2-4 day trips as it's lighter, simpler and I can be comfortable in it with the candle lantern/propane burner.

Once you get into week-long or longer forays, the Kifaru 8 man is a superb base camp, especially if you "stockpile" wood during the summer months and prepare an area for it at that time. I intended to do this up the Trout Main on the Santa Rosa this year, in the Bulldog Rd. and up the Motherlode at Greenwood, as well, but, working on this bleeping old house........note: Do Not retire young, life gets even MORE full of BS that keeps you out of the bush!!!