PDA

View Full Version : Still no luck, but I'm enjoying the process. . . I think.

Stéphane
10-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Okay, this is my first year hunting deer, and it is a serious learning curve. I really enjoy my time in the woods and I am getting much better at spotting games. But it is also getting frustrating too. I go a few times a week 15 minutes away from my house, so it's not too complicated that way, and not too expensive either.

I saw many does, 4 kills (figured out it was a cougar's job when I saw some fresh paw prints) and one buck who was too far - 100 yards away and no time to chase him.

Today, I had 2 does 20 yards away from me. One stared at me for almost 5 minutes. I thought it would be a good idea to test my chance at taking a shot. So, I raised my bow at full draw and picked a spot on her side . . . she was quartering away. I thought it would be easy to do, but in the forest, it was dark and I had a harder time than I thought picking the spot. So, I'm glad I had a practice and will probably do it again if I see a doe again. I finally found the spot I was seeking, then brought to bow back down and smiled. I was happy. It took a bit longer than I wanted too, but I'm glad it wasn't a buck because I he would have been gone. Hopefully I'll be ready by the time I see a buck.

Steelco said to me that as long as you see game it's a good day. I'm leaving by that mantra for now. I sure hope I can get my first one soon. I'm going again tomorrow and hopefully will have some picture to post instead of words.

Ubertuber
10-28-2011, 10:24 PM
You're gonna be stoked when you finally connect. It'll be fist pumping action.:)

Sounds like you're doing everything right, now all you need is time.

Steeleco
10-28-2011, 10:25 PM
That Steeleco guy sure is full of it LOL Sounds like your having fun at least. The right one will step in your way soon enough. Time afield = meat in the freezer.

Bow Walker
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
It'll happen Stephane, and when it does it'll happen unexpectedly fast.

You're going to love it.

pappy
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I would buy a cougar tag and hope to run into it too.

Big Lew
10-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Patience "stephane", your time will come, and as has been said, it'll be a huge rush, and you'll be beside yourself with excitement! Although I had shot many deer with a rifle before turning to the bow, I also found it a big learning curve to have patience to be successful using archery, and I didn't get anything the first year also. I can honestly say that now, even after shooting many deer with a bow, it still is very exciting, far more than with a gun, and gives me more satisfaction.

jetboat jim
10-29-2011, 07:36 PM
i had several attempts in about 25 days of hunting ( lucky enough to get out for a few hours every night) i had a 3x3 at 12 yards and would not clear the trees just turned and walked away.....most times i see squat , and that makes me not want to go out again......a little rest and back at it again. you just gotta keep going it will happen.

I missed a 2x3 last night at 40 yards....spot hogg was shooting 18 inches to the right at 40 yards.....dang, did not tighten the allen key enough. really crappy because I did not even raise my heart rate everything was perfect....till the arrow was 18 inches infront of the deer.

just keep at it .

Stéphane
10-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the pat on the back, guys. I was out again this morning and saw a doe at 85 yards. My friend, who is a much better hunter that I'll ever be, told to always check if a young buck decided to stick with her. Nothing. The good news is I would have never spotted her two weeks ago. So you can just imagine how many bucks I walked right by. That being said, I noticed all the tracks, fresh by the way, going down and nothing coming back. I didn't have much time today, but tomorrow I intend to be a bit more thorough. This is encouraging too, because there are few spots I can walk (a 2 hour round) early tomorrow and it seems that the deer are moving.
Again it is me analysing this, so it might be an erroneous statement.

As for tracks, I was told that if you see dew claws marks, it's a buck. If none, it's a doe. Myth or truth?

Jetboat Jim, I so feel the same way about sometimes not seeing anything and feeling like it is not worth it anymore. 2 days later, I'm back out. Congrats on your archery buck!

Pappy, not a chance I would buy a cougar tag. Beside the fact I would never eat cougar (or any pure carnivore for that matter), do you really think I stand a chance in hell to shoot at such a proficient predator?

Big Lew, not convinced I would have had much more luck with a riffle. Although I did see a buck at 100 yards. It is kind of a moot point since no riffles are allowed where I go. I really admire someone like you who has done it all and chooses archery. +1

Bow Walker, are you afraid I'll steal your user name? Anyone else who need his/her bow taken for a walk?

Ubertuber and Steeleco, putting time in the woods, that I do. Thanks again for keeping me believing.

quadrakid
10-29-2011, 09:00 PM
As the rut kicks in you should see a few bucks and if the stars line up ,you will get one. Good luck with your quest and enjoy each day hunting.

Steeleco
10-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Stephane let me be the first to offer freezer storage for that cougar meat you may get one day!! It's delicious. As to the dew claws, it's generally assumed that if you find dew claws you MAY have a buck, but you may also have a large doe. If you can see the whole track, the does front feet will be closer together than the back, bucks will be opposite. It's a baby making thing LOL

Bow Walker
10-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Stephane - it took me quite a few seasons to finally arrow a deer. I thought that I was stuck with that moniker.

Now I'm used to it and can't see giving it up - but you can borrow it for the next few days if you want. I have a feeling you won't need it nor want it very soon though.

Tracks? I was taught that the buck's hoof print has the two major impressions more or less parallel to each other and that they are blunt at the tips.......while the doe tracks have the pad marks pinched together at the front like an arrow head and that they are generally smaller.

Riverbc
10-30-2011, 11:18 AM
. Beside the fact I would never eat cougar

Stephane...you don't know what you're missing. I've eaten cougar twice at AFGC game dinners...and it is the BEST meat I've ever had! Seriously!

The Dude
10-30-2011, 11:34 AM
A) Cougar is delicious, DON'T pass it up.

2) Big old heavy bucks will often leave dew claw marks due to size and weight in softer soil or snow, but so can a big doe, and definitely a doe slipping a bit in mud or snow, esp downhill, can sure look like a big buck track. Bucks will generally have longer, more or less parallel hoof marks (the two sides of one foot), while a doe, as stated, has a shorter track that seems to want to join up like a blunt arrowhead.

3) The rut's about to begin, so quietly follow those does, and when they stare into the woods intently, alert but not alarmed, GET READY!
Mr Horny is on the way (sometimes). :D