PDA

View Full Version : Can I shoot a mule deer fawn?

pitbell
10-28-2011, 02:04 PM
I keep finding the heads of this yrs button bucks dumped down the Blackwater. Who the frig is shooting these 60lb soaking wet fawns and think they are legally harvesting bucks?? There is not even visible antler yet?

dana
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
There are currently youth antlerless seasons on the Region 7 side and LEH antlerless seasons on the Region 5 side. The ministry actually encourages the harvest of fawns during these seasons as it takes the pressure off of mature deer during the winter. Button bucks are rather tastey critters too. :)

Trapper D
10-28-2011, 02:38 PM
maybe someone just got back from the island with their full grown blacktail doe.lol

Drillbit
10-28-2011, 02:47 PM
maybe it's the Nazko or Kluskus boys? I doubt it as they are more into moose, but it's a reasonable explaination.

pitbell
10-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Ahh yes. Antlerless youth season......

coach
10-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Where do you think fawndu comes from?

BCHunterTV
10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
my daughter actually killed a button buck on thanksgiving for her quest for her LEH doe, the best eating deer so far!

dana
10-28-2011, 03:17 PM
My son did the same thing several years back with his first Antlerless LEH tag. Sure was tastey!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Nov3017a.jpg

pearljam
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I keep finding the heads of this yrs button bucks dumped down the Blackwater. Who the frig is shooting these 60lb soaking wet fawns and think they are legally harvesting bucks?? There is not even visible antler yet?

Looks like you and the righteous Ltbulken look down on these young people taking a fawn/button buck to put meat on their tables. NICE WORK! Bet you feel good about yourself!

steel_ram
10-28-2011, 04:16 PM
300+ lb adult men shoot 40 lb spikes on Vancouver Island. As long as they cut their tag before they eat it for lunch I don't care. Better than some fat guy having a jammer trying to drag a 70 lb fork off the cutblock.

stitch
10-28-2011, 04:41 PM
300+ lb adult men shoot 40 lb spikes on Vancouver Island. As long as they cut their tag before they eat it for lunch I don't care. Better than some fat guy having a jammer trying to drag a 70 lb fork off the cutblock.

Wow.....really ...what does this have to do with the island.ghhheez

BCHunterTV
10-28-2011, 05:01 PM
My son did the same thing several years back with his first Antlerless LEH tag. Sure was tastey!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/Nov3017a.jpg

here is Ashleys, lil guy

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380295_10150339923020069_606915068_8588332_1257464 614_n.jpg

bigshooter
10-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Nice shot Ashley. The young ones look happy.

recoil
10-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Saw a couple of comedians take a tiny 60lb or so fawn on their antlerless tag near the gang ranch about 2kms from the nearest driveable road. They found a 2" diameter pole to use as a "skewer" and that is how they brought in back to camp each guy carrying one end of the pole. Was pretty funny the time although it did make we wonder why they would want to shoot that deer instead of one of the dozens of adult ones standing near the road.

browningboy
10-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Fat guys kick ass, what the hell do you care how much we eat for lunch you skinny chooch! LOL

huntwriter
10-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Saw a couple of comedians take a tiny 60lb or so fawn on their antlerless tag near the gang ranch about 2kms from the nearest driveable road. They found a 2" diameter pole to use as a "skewer" and that is how they brought in back to camp each guy carrying one end of the pole. Was pretty funny the time although it did make we wonder why they would want to shoot that deer instead of one of the dozens of adult ones standing near the road.

Maybe they killed the little one because that is what they wanted. You see, hunting is all about what the individual person wants and not about what others think should be done. It's all about the hunter in question and nothing and nobody else. If it is legal everything else is completely irrelevant.

Trapper D
10-28-2011, 08:57 PM
ive shot many spikers, they fit in the fridge real nice, and the gas bill/time to get them is way less then a 4 point. success is success, and legal is legal. harping on a guy cause his deer is smaller is pretty weak. IMO. that could have been buddies first deer and we all know its not just about the size of the deer, but everything leading up to , and everything following.. the whole process, good friends , harnessing our primitive instincts, succeeding, gutting , hanging the deer up as the camp trophy, drinking beer and reviewing the hunt, come on , its all good. biggest dick dont win here" as im karate chopping a hair about my knee". lol congrats praise , it all good

Jelvis
10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Button bucks the best meat you can eat, I tried one and man the meat is unreal.
Jel .. Fawn Doo ..

recoil
10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Huntwriter i agree they did nothing wrong and it was their choice to take that particular deer, it was just a very odd sight i had never seen before and they seemed very happy to harvest the animal despite its small size. I too have taken small bodied deer when i am all by myself and am looking at a long pack out.

Deer_Slayer
10-28-2011, 09:27 PM
hahah..I never knew that

Jelvis
10-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Some hunting parties shoot a fawn, clean it, skin it clean, split it and roast the halves against a nice camp fire, skewered and leaning in a bit and turned every so often.
Jel .. Makes for a fawn roast and a party atmosphere after dark in deer camp ............
great meat as you take a hot browned chunk off the roasted venison all spiced up .....
Nice ice cold bottle of your favorite beverage and your taste buds are doin the jig ......

stubbs
10-28-2011, 10:55 PM
steel_ram what do you weigh

steel_ram
10-29-2011, 07:39 AM
steel_ram what do you weigh

180 lbs - 5'11", I used to be a fat guy so I've earned the right. ;)

pitbell
10-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Looks like you and the righteous Ltbulken look down on these young people taking a fawn/button buck to put meat on their tables. NICE WORK! Bet you feel good about yourself!

Not at all. I think it's great. When I started the thread I was unaware that there was an antlerless youth season in that management unit and thought someone was trying to pass them off as bucks.

ive shot many spikers, they fit in the fridge real nice, and the gas bill/time to get them is way less then a 4 point.

Agreed. However there is a big difference between a 1.5yr old spike and a 5 month old fawn.

3kills
10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
good thing i dont have pics of my deer from last night i would get roasted for shooting a lil one hahahaha

huntwriter
10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
However there is a big difference between a 1.5yr old spike and a 5 month old fawn.

Who cares about the difference? If it is legal it is legal, even if it has spots or still is wet.

steel_ram
10-29-2011, 11:54 AM
"Legal is legal", but is it always right? I'm sure there are many people that would argue over the correctness of many other totally "legal" government decisions. Hopefully the wildlife management people have a good grasp on things. I think they do and frankly no longer care if someone wants to blow a tag on a few meals worth of deer meat. I'm still going to poke funn though. I would rather see the easy ones go to the kids or first timers but there's no way to legislate that.