PDA

View Full Version : Elevation and Whitetails

Islandeer
10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
As I prepare for our trip to the EK in November I plan on hunting some high timber looking for a big whitie. I know where they are lower down but I haven't seen any really big ones down lower.

What is the highest elevation you have seen or killed big whitetail bucks?

I have seen them over 5000 ft or so ...

Also have a moose draw in 402 A, any info on moose in here would be great.

Rodd
10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Seen them over 5000ft before, but usually early in the season... I'd concentrate on the timbered benches(800-1200m), near the does in november... They are more concentrated lower for sure.. you'll end up with a big muley hunting those high timbered ridges.. And thats not soo bad is it... Their are plenty of big whitetails down low, mainly nocturnal though!

wrenchhead
10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
i argee with rodd the biggies are mostly nocturnal until they get dumb in mid november. iv seen whiteys around 5000 feet too but i think they are are few and far between and not there in the fall. id concentrate lower down where there are good numbers of does. and the biggest key is dont shoot the first dink buck you see because lurking in the treeline right behind him is the biggie.

Islandeer
10-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Agree with the sneaky nocturnal whitey bucks, they sure make themselves scarce. We hunted the end of nov last season on timbered ridges and didn't see any huge bucks,though for sure they are there. Will be more selective this season and wait for another big guy. Not sure if big whitey bucks ever get real dumb!!