PDA

View Full Version : Northern BC cow elk hunt

moose2
10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
During our long hunt up North it was decided that whoever in the group could make it we would go on a local cow elk hunt for a few days after we got back. We didn't have enough meat with the two moose and one ram we took on that trip. So when the day arrived it ended up being three of us. My partner and I from here agreed to meet our other buddy at day break where we planned to camp. We were about a half hour behind and decided we would hunt until noon or so and then set up camp. So I dropped my partner off at one spot and I headed off the 2 km to where we would set the wall tent.

I arrived there our buddies truck was there but I could see he had left for a hunt already. I was just unloading the truck and I heard BOOM I knew it was from the direction my hunting partner had went just 20 minutes before.

So I took my quad off the trailer and ran back to see if it was him. Sure enough I found him on the cut line and he said he just shot a large cow , and was giving it ten minutes to make sure. We found her 60 yards into the timber already dead. YAHOO 20 minutes into the hunt and one down. After dressing it and returning for the second quad we returned and packed out a half on each bike.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_cow_elk_trip_001_Medium_.jpg

We were half way through skinning the second half when Todd arrived. He then told us he had also shot one and had got the guts out. So we finished the first one up and went off to work on the second one.

While riding the quads to get his my hat flew off I let off the trottle to go get it. Thats when I hit the ice and lost control , both my dog and I went flying over the handle bars. She landed somehow catching her dew claw on something and tore that nail right off. I landed flat on my back on a frozen road. We were both beat up and my partner helped me right the quad. On our way again. We got the elk back to camp with no further problems. We dealt with the second elk , got it quartered and cheese clothed.

YAHOO now we have two elk down and we haven't even set up camp yet. So we get camp all set and have a bite to eat , I head out with 2 hours until dark to look for sign or elk. The other guys go to a spot we know may hold whitetails. It was a quiet evening with only a couple of does spotted.

That night we had a great dinner and a few to celebrate. I woke up the next morning well before day break ready to go , I made breakfast packed my gear and my partners were a bit under the weather so they stayed sleeping. I headed out on foot early enough to be where I wanted at day break. My timing was perfect about 10 minutes after good shooting light I spotted a large single cow elk way down in the valley bottom with my binos. It was a long down hill shot , but with a good rest I knew I could make it. I slowly sqeezed the trigger and I was just able to watch her fall in my scope. When I arrived I gave her one in the ear to make it quicker for her. YAHOO She was a huge cow in really good shape with lots of fat on her. I cut my tag , gutted her and then walked back to camp to wake my partners for help.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_cow_elk_trip_003_Medium_.jpg

After a couple jugs of water they were ready to go. We were able to get a quad to her, but because of the steepness we put a half on the front rack to keep the wheels down. This worked great until I went down a bit of a dip I was so front heavy I went end over end again landing flat on my already sore back. I moved just in time to watch the back rack land flat beside me. I gave my partners a shout and they helped me put the quad back on its wheels. Thats when I discovered I had broken the throttle lever almost completly off. So I had to make 2 dangerous climbs with 1/8 inch of a throttle poking into my thumb. Each time I hit a bump my thumb would pop off once I was on a steep hill , all of a sudden I found myself going down the hill backwards faster than I had been heading up. I was lucky enough the feather the trottle and get going again. We made it to the top and back to camp with no more issues.

We dealt with the elk and had a lazy afternoon and had a couple hour whitetail buck evening hunt. We saw a few does and a mule deer buck. A good supper and early to sleep. We packed up after breakfast and headed out. We were home before noon.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_cow_elk_trip_008_Medium_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_cow_elk_trip_005_Medium_.jpg

All in all it was great trip to top off the freezers. My bruises will go away and the quad will be repaired. It was a quick hunt , but very enjoyable.
Mike

peashooter
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Now that's a good story! Congrats on a full freezer, man you guys don't mess around huh, you want to talk about getting it done.

Kalum
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM
making it look too easy...
grats on the success. Looking forward to my dec cow elk LEH hunt.

gbear
10-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Congrats! Sometimes things happen quick

gerrygoat
10-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Congrats on your elk, they all look like big animals.

killman
10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Did you Hit your "easy button"? Good job!

d6dan
10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Perfect hunt Mike!. Great story and pics..

ElectricDyck
10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Nice going, that's a lot of top quality meat!

Vital Shock
10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
AWESOME!! great looking meat!

6 K
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Now that sounds like fun!
Congrats.
Hope my wife and I can cut our tags that quick.

moose2
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. In my opinion cow elk is the best eating meat around especially this time of year.
Mike

wiggy
10-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys. In my opinion cow elk is the best eating meat around especially this time of year.
Mike

Yep i agree; nothin better then cow elk. Awesome hunt guys congrats