PDA

View Full Version : Stave lake/ davis lake

mikeboehm
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Going quading up here on saturday. Havent been there in a while. Just wondering if i should bring a rifle up there in case i see a buck, or if its a waste of time.

sarg
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
if u going past davis i would, i've seen deer up b4. the time u dont bring a rilfe is the time you'll see them.

pete_k
10-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't matter. Catch 22.
Leave the gun at home you'll see a nice big buck.
Bring the gun along, you won't even see a doe.

Brad talkkari
10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
never hurts to have your gun handy if you do happen to run into a deer or 2. I would bring a bullet proof vest for protection from the other 2000 guys that will be up there shooting their guns all over the place.... i have seen deer back there

Big Lew
10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
This time of year and later, you never know. I've seen several nice mature blacktail bucks throughout the east side of the Sylvester/Stave Lake Valley system. I've taken 2 from high above Davis Lake on the east side. Both were with several does, and it was about this time of year. The biggest problem though, is that most of the area has re-grown back to thick forest, so they'll be hard to see long enough to get a shot.(The last 2 I've seen gave me little chance to get out of my truck, load, and get a good bead on them through the foliage before they left) I see most of them when it is raining fairly hard, and during mid-morning or later.

walks with deer
10-27-2011, 10:14 PM
theres no deer there just people and lots of wanna be gangsters.

FishandHunt
10-28-2011, 08:09 AM
I would bring your rifle. There are lots of deer in that area as well as nice size bears. It can also get stupid up there and having something on your quad might keep you out of any "situations." You may get lucky and see an elk too; they are not legal but still always a nice sight.

2legit
10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
dont know about deer, met a fellow up there one morning when i was target shooting, said he popped a bear not far from where we were shooting.

x2 on the bullet proof vest. too many meat heads with a PAL blasting off rounds, their shooting and not knowing where their shots are hitting. Have heard of people pretty well shooting at eachother and not knowing it. Also, dont start a fire to warm up unless you brig a rake or clear the shit outta the area your gonna burn. Countless unspent rounds all over the place. Picked up 4 3" .00 buckshot off the groun last time i was up there. I also never go ther elater than 10am lol, by then the hangovers are wearing off and morons are out blasting away

tackdriver
10-29-2011, 08:33 AM
theres deer up there well past davis though. get away from all the idiots, shot a nice 4 point up there last fall