PDA

View Full Version : Shooting through Blind Mesh....

killman
10-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone Hunt from a ground blind and shoot through the mesh? I am guessing fixed broadheads are a must? Any input would be great.

goatdancer
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I would think that would seriously affect your shot.

BiG Boar
10-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Yep, I shoot through the mesh. Sometimes, I can't even see where I'm aiming. I just guess.

I do have a hard time recovering some of the animals though. Maybe its dulling the field point on the way through.

killman
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Yep, I shoot through the mesh. Sometimes, I can't even see where I'm aiming. I just guess.

I do have a hard time recovering some of the animals though. Maybe its dulling the field point on the way through.

LOl ok...:?

beni
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
hahaha... (laughing at Boar's post)

Make yourself an opening... IMO it would RUIN your shot.

Sideofabarn
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Thought about it, but never tried it. I think the concept is nice, but practically they seem to be one more factor that have the potential of adversely effecting accuracy. As beni suggests, maybe some sort of opening would help. Anyway, your freezer is full, how much more success can you want old boy?

Drillbit
10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Don't know about arrows, but with bullets it doesn't matter. Doesn't affect POI shooting through screens. Tried .22 up to 50 yards and big rifles out to 300.

killman
10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Thought about it, but never tried it. I think the concept is nice, but practically they seem to be one more factor that have the potential of adversely effecting accuracy. As beni suggests, maybe some sort of opening would help. Anyway, your freezer is full, how much more success can you want old boy?

Hey! Who you callin old.....:P. I watched a couple you tube vids of them doing it just wanted some personal experiences. Seem kind of odd to bea able to. But I guess you can use a whisker biscuit rest..

Sideofabarn
10-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey! Who you callin old.....:P. I watched a couple you tube vids of them doing it just wanted some personal experiences. Seem kind of odd to bea able to. But I guess you can use a whisker biscuit rest..

Ha ha, I think you're older than I am!
I don't really think a WB rest is going to offset possible inconsistencies created by pushing an arrow through fabric. I may be completely out to lunch on this though. My half baked thoughts agree with you that if you were going to do it, a fixed blade broadhead would be your only real option.
Maybe we both need to ask ourselves WWAD (what would Ambush do)? The most likely answer to this is "get off the crack pipe you imbeciles..."

knockturnal
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Fletch your arrows so they line up with your broadheads.

Hoof
10-27-2011, 11:48 PM
now doesnt it only take 2 fingers to move the mesh to the side? plus u r prob sitting down come on bud dont be lazy and mess a shot and if u do i hope for the best but i wouldnt do it.. thats my input

killman
10-28-2011, 08:38 AM
now doesnt it only take 2 fingers to move the mesh to the side? plus u r prob sitting down come on bud dont be lazy and mess a shot and if u do i hope for the best but i wouldnt do it.. thats my input

I think the Mesh is velcroed be noise removing it. Its a Doghouse Blind from Ameristep.

Big Lew
10-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Personally, I don't think I'd try it for a couple of reasons. First of all, I've seen arrows deflected by blades of grass, so I wouldn't trust that the arrow would hit the mesh square. Second, I did some testing with arrows fit with tracing thread and found it greatly effected elevation compared to a free arrow, so I would be concerned that the mesh might do the same to some extent. If you are really considering doing it, I would suggest trying several test shots first to see if there is any inconsistency or difference from your normal set-up.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Shane ... its done all the time ... the mesh isnt much thicker than a spider web thread .... its all good ...... fixed blades for a peice of mind tho

killman
10-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Shane ... its done all the time ... the mesh isnt much thicker than a spider web thread .... its all good ...... fixed blades for a peice of mind tho

Thanks Mike, I might give it a try here this weekend see how it works. At least I will have an excuse if I miss :D

Bow Walker
10-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I'd try to keep the shots under 20 or 25 yards though, plus I'd only use fixed blade broadheads - peace of mind thing on both ideas.

Sideofabarn
10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Mike, I might give it a try here this weekend see how it works. At least I will have an excuse if I miss :D

Well, how did it go?

killman
10-30-2011, 06:56 PM
It started to snow.............Never got around to it.

The Hermit
10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Why not try it at a target first... kind of like a test flight!

islandboy
10-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Best advice yet. The clubs I used to shoot with used heavy netting to stop field points inside gyms. The deflection upon impact (in the netting) was all that was needed to stop the arrows. When you test it you may want to note the difference in target penetration and the deflection angle between mesh and non-mesh. Let us know how it goes.
Why not try it at a target first... kind of like a test flight!

Bchunter3006
11-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I've done it. Used fixed blades, and the mesh didn't affect my shots out to 50 yards. Shot one deer through the mesh. 36 yards, broadside, looking the other direction... but I believe he heard the arrow hit the mesh, because he turned when the arrow was in midflight. As a result, it turned into a very steep quartering angle... went in smack-dab in the middle of his left hindquarter, and exited just behind the last rib on the opposite side. Went about 75-80 yards, femoral artery does them in. As a result, I don't think I'll be shooting through the mesh again, unless its special circumstances. It works fine, just not for me... unless there is a reason to.

Ruger4
11-14-2011, 08:02 AM
if your gonna cut it up with a broadhead , why not just cut out a piece and have a nice clear lane for a nice clean ethical shot ?

E.V.B.H.
12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I have also shot through the mesh at the range out to 60 yds with fixed blades, and no flight problems. But I never thought about the noise! Good point.