PDA

View Full Version : goat and sheep meat

2legit
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
do you hunters eat your goat/sheep? or is that mainly a trophy hunt? been doing a lot of picture browsing and story reading and always see the head stuffed into the pack, but dont see meat beig hauled out.

thanks!

BCbillies
10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Sheep is perhaps the best meat out there and goat is pretty high on my list (outside of the rut). For me it's all coming out in one pack hence the 120 lb+ weights. In some of those photos they must have a partner packing some of the meat or they are making two trips. Check the regs . . . legally the meat has to come out and that goes for the guided hunts too!

Everett
10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Hauled the meat from my goat out this year and made some killer sausage from it. Even the tenderloin was tough but what flavour best sausage I have made. Going shoot a meat goat next time I draw now that I have a trophy goat.

tuchodi
10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
We would debone all the meat and it always came out. I would say Sheep meat is the best of all wild game and goat would come in 2nd or 3rd. Packs get pretty heavy but that's what it's all about.

BromBones
10-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Pretty tasty stuff. Sheep, caribou, & goat, all really good flavour. Usually pick the carcass pretty clean. Ribs and tenderloin dont last more than a couple days. :)

springpin
10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
mmmmmm, Goat!!

bowhunterbruce
10-27-2011, 07:21 PM
until this past season goat was my number 1 best tasting meat.this season i got to taste sheep for the first time and i have to say hat it is hard for me to determin which once is accually better because omg was the sheep ever good

2legit
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
cool thanks for the replys. have had both goat and sheep but never wild meat. I'm new to the hunting/shooting world and love the scenery from all these high alpine hunts! I've done backpacking weekend trips but never to places as cool as what i see here!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Not only is the meat good, but it's the law to pack out the meat.

SSS

jml11
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Deboned sheep and goat meat can easily fit in a pack if you pack right and you might not be able to tell all the time. Especially on day hunts from spike camp where the packs are near empty beforehand.

Here is a photo of a double header sheep hunt I did a few years ago. Both packs are loaded with all our gear (for a 7 day hunt...this was day 3 so we had a lot of food still :neutral:), all 4 quarters off each ram (deboned), capes and horns...these were damn heavy, easily the heaviest pack I have ever worn...Meat was pretty darn good though!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P9070052.jpg

jml11
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Here is another hunt I did last year. Buddy was stubborn and wanted to take the whole ram himself...this is packing it off the mountain, deboned meat in the pack, cape and horns.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/100_2058.jpg

one-shot-wonder
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I would guess it is the minority of alpine hunters, but some practise shooting through the front shoulders to pack out less meat....seems idiotic and disrespectful to me but it happens.....real shame cause sheep/goat is some of the finest meat around.

ElectricDyck
10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Our young billy tasted better than my antlerless whitetail, just tougher.

10-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Goat meat can be tough if it's an old billy but nothing beats sheep meat, even from a 8+ year old ram.

Everett
10-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I would guess it is the minority of alpine hunters, but some practise shooting through the front shoulders to pack out less meat....seems idiotic and disrespectful to me but it happens.....real shame cause sheep/goat is some of the finest meat around.

Had a guide outfitter I was going to work with exspain to me to tell clients to do this, so it would be less work to haul off the mountain. Our working relationship ended.

luckynuts
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Hmmm Sheep ribs over the fire "man O man" it is good especially not having any salt or spices to go with it. The back part gets a little chewy and a little fattier but very tasty... I was doubtful at first, glad we packed them down.

W.

mntbowhunter
11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I would agree that sheep meat is one of the best types of meat out there, but I am suprised that people like goats? My experience with goats is that even the back straps and tenderloins are tough and the flavour is really not all that good either. Maybe its just the area that I hunt goats? I know a peace country mule deer is way better eating than a Chilcotin mule deer.

Banjo
11-03-2011, 01:57 PM
how does the meat keep when you are still a few days from a cooler?

TSW
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I fed the in-laws some sheep meat last summer after my hunt and they said it was the best meat they've ever tasted--and they were a little skeptical because they don't usually eat wild meat.

If you can find a snow patch to stash the meat in, it helps it to last until you can get it to the cooler.