PDA

View Full Version : Just never know where the other hunters are so be careful.

Junorr500
10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Went for a drive today and found a very nice 4x4 mulie feeding with a couple does about 450yards off. Was glassing them and looking around for a solid steady rest to shoot from when they get nervous and spook. I had just walked 100yards through a cut to where i could look over the rest of the cut and a lower landing. Beyond that there is a thick draw with a open slope on the other side of it. Beyond and behind that is a deactivated road that peters out just behind and to the low right side of the slope/cut that the deer were feeding on. It had snowed a skiff that morning and there were no vehicle tracks going into the area where the deer were so i thought i was safe. It seems that in the time it took me to get to my vantage point someone had gone in the lower road and parked, then creeped around to where the deer were. I doubt he knew they were there before he spooked them. I saw him come around the corner into the cut about 5 seconds after they spooked and if he had been a minute later i would have been taking a shot at a deer with the guy about 20 yards away behind a rise in the cut. Me not having a clue he was there. Scary as hell. Glad i didnt get a chance to take the shot even though it was deer of a lifetime.

Please Be careful out there guys.

hotshot
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Time to buy an orange toque!!
Thanks J

Jagermeister
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I guess if you're going to shoot at the distance of 450 yards, you can expect that kind of thing to happen.
I would like to know what rifle caliber you are shooting and what distance you have it zero'd at?

Wrayzer
10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sure he woulda helped gut and get it outta there, after cleaning his drawers.

Junorr500
10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
.270 Win zeroed at 200yrds Federal Classic 130gr -20 inches at 400yards -40 at 500yards Shoots Cloverleaves at 100 so i am confidant in that shot providing i have a very good rest.

Junorr500
10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm sure he woulda helped gut and get it outta there, after cleaning his drawers.

Thats what i was thinking to. LOL

hunter1993ap
10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
if you have spent your time with your rifle 450 is not a long distance at all.

BearSniper
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
True, can never be too careful. I think a hunter was killed by another last year in B.C. or Alberta

Junorr500
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I cant think of anything worse than putting another hunter at risk even accedently. To many horror stories about death and injuries. I think there is a thread about it somewhere.

And ive seen to many people scoped including me to not be very wary out there.

peashooter
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Really? Questioning his ability. Who the heck are you?

fireguy
10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Good to see your season is still going strong Junorr500, Its been a while since we talked on the hillside in September.

I had a sort of same thing happen a few years ago but I knew where my hunting partner was. I had to wait for a buck to travell over 200 yards so I knew what was behind the buck and where my partner was before I could take the shot. I was watching both of them at the same time and made sure there was no way they were lined up.

Junorr500
10-27-2011, 10:08 PM

What comment are you responding to?

RayHill
10-27-2011, 11:14 PM
450 yards is a long distance shot if you were to ask me, even if you can shoot it consistently you have to be real good at tracking also. I like to get a bit closer more of a challenge of stocking. But if it was a good time for a longer range shot in an open area, I would take it with confidence.

Junorr500
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
No argument on the risk factor of a shot that far. Like i said i wouldent take it without being perfecly comfortable with my rest etc.

budismyhorse
10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
.......your rest is one thing........but the fact that there is a lower road down there is probably the most important thing to note before you fire that shot.

good for you to put out the warning.......hopefully people consider this story.

Junorr500
10-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Like i said, no tracks into the area, no indication that anyone was there but of course a person still double and triple checks before he shoots knowing anything is possable.

Brad talkkari
10-28-2011, 11:29 AM
My grandpa is from Finland and a couple of his buddy's were out hunting moose and they split up in the morning to work a few cut blocks. One of the guys took a shit at a moose and missed putting the bullet right in his buddy's chest about 100yds behind the moose. Died on his way to hospital. Happened in the late 60s.... Gotta be careful out there!

Brad talkkari
10-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Haha, he didn't take a shit at a moose, he took a SHOT! f**kin autocorrect

igojuone
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

fireguy
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Haha, he didn't take a shit at a moose, he took a SHOT! f**kin autocorrect

I was wondering how exactly that worked, thanks for clearing it up.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I remember my very first hunt on opening after getting my license. Didn't have a clue where to hunt or how to hunt. Buddy and I headed up Kathleen before daybreak...quietly hiked into a clearcut on a hill and sat down in a small patch of trees at the top of the cut and waited for daylight. Just as daylight came two shots rang out from behind us striking the trees we were leaning against:shock:.
It was physically impossible for the bullets to hit us but it certainly was a rude introduction to hunting.

Luckilly, nothing like this has happenned again.

SSS

skibum
10-28-2011, 04:46 PM
400 or 200 or 100 yards away, does anybody think it would have made any difference in noticing the guy coming up from behind? How long did it take the deer to notice him?

This was just a reminder to be careful.

xcaribooer
10-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I believe the rule is that you have to know what is beyond your target before you pull the trigger.. that being said you would need xray glasses to see into the bush beyond where you are shooting.especially now with everyone wearing cammo instead of red/orange. I think this is a risk that we accept being out there as hunters.you hope it never happens but the chance is there.
I will always wear a bit of red or orange if i'm in an area with any amount of other hunters around.

Gunner Staal
10-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Once again this lends to the old hunter orange argument. Someone on here give me one reason.....one that a hunter orange toque should not be worn??? Other than it doesn't look as cool as your expensive Browning cap lol. Deer are color blind...people are not. They are on sale right now at Canadian Tire for 6 dollars. They are good quality and I suggest everyone wear them. Its the law back East. Mandatory for everyone. Mind you us East Coasters have generally weaker eye sight, lower intelligence and unhealthier livers than you strapping Western lads. Still, one piece of hunter orange above the waist should be mandatory for all hunters.