PDA

View Full Version : moose

blackwater moose
10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
just got back from my prince george moose hunt. we were successful. the question here is that when we skined the moose out there were 2 inch worms around the knee joint and back bone. i have hunted moose for 25 years and have never seen this . anyone else experience this or know what these worms are ?

jeff
10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
wow , that sucks , no ive never seen em or even heard of them in moose , i had some small ones once in the meat on the hind quarters of a rosie that was shot on the island.they were really small and formed little circles just under the meat

blackwater moose
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
the meat was clean of any parasites and the internal organs were clean also

doubled
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
BM, Any pics?

lilhoss
10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
You say The knee joints and back bone?.. was this "As" you cut it open,or in two? or was this something that developed after it was cut in half & quartered,hanging on a meat pole?Could be a worm/parasite that an insect layed in there.Never had any venison show worms,only black bears,here on the isle.wierd..

Just found this link to a story & pic,could be?

My son killed a Canadian Bull Moose last week. It was an old one. During all stages of butchering, from field dressing through packaging the tenderloins, I'm finding tiny parasites embedded in the meat (see pic below). The head of the thing measures about 1/6 inch across. From the little info I could find on the web, it may be a tapeworm larva. And purportedly harmless to humans, once cooked.
I'd never heard of these, but from what I've now read, they're common in Moose. And the older the Moose, the more of these you will supposedly find.
I've butchered two Shiras Moose previously, and have never spotted any such thing?
Anyone seen these before? Did you eat the Moose?
No way in hell I'm trashing this meat, but wondering if, for instance, we should be concerned about grilling steaks too rare....
http://www.hoosierjar.com/parasite.jpg

Moosegetter
10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes years ago I shot a moose in McBride area and it had those sists in the meet and we never noticed until we were cutting it up. Checked and the meet is suposed to be OK to eat if froozen first and cooked well. They kinda grossed me out. Moosegetter

blackwater moose
10-27-2011, 05:16 PM
i saw that story, didn't look like a sperm. i can't find anything on the net that looks like it . the worms were about 2-5 inches long and thread like , they were also coiled up, not like a spring but flat . just under the joint covering.

smoothbor
10-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Me and a few friends shot 4 deer a few years ago in the koots 1 muley and 3 whiteys the muledeer and 2 whiteys had these litlle bumps on there legs from the knees down didnt see them with the hide on but once we skinned them they were plain as day we cut one of the bumps open and these long stringy worms came out. Probably 6 plus inches long and looked like thread or fishing line, never found them anywhere else on the animal. Talked to a local friend (co) and he made a few calls to the biologist in Nelson as we were concerned about them. He found out that they are called leg worms and arent found anywhere other than the ankles and knees and are caused by flys biting the deer and laying an egg. To this day i check every deer we have shot and have found it in quite few more. Bio said that they are not harmful to the animal just there to incubate and turn into a fly and fly away and will not find them anywhere else on the animal and are not harmful to people......Kinda gross though, check out the next deer you shoot they look like small whitish warts i guess between the ankles and knee cut one open and check it out.....

crazybushcreature
10-27-2011, 06:29 PM
thats crazy and gross at the same time. lol

Jagermeister
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
The link describes a similar situation that I encountered sometime back.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?72978-2011-limited-entry-bull-down..in-a-swamp-took-6hrs-for-bro-and-i-to-drag-out..&p=993626#post993626

Doc Sprat
10-27-2011, 08:29 PM
exact same thing in my east koot mule deer, as pic above. def cooking it well done

blackwater moose
10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
the worm is called onchocerca cervicalis. it is transmitted by the black fly.