PDA

View Full Version : Poachers

eric
10-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Okay WTF is with people, 3 wks ago I found a spike Elk that was shot and left to rot, reported it to the Co's.
This morning I find a sow black bear and a cub that has been shot and left right outside where they were going to den for the winter. There is another cub hanging around the bodies watching the ravens eat it's family, this yrs cubs so I don't think it will survive the winter with out denning up properly.
Also this morning, found where someone had shot a 2 point Muley, had taken all the meat though, so could have been Natives getting some meat for the winter.
Phoned and reported to the Co's, waiting to hear back.

Do you think the cub will survive the winter?

Here I was thinking,that this was gonna be cool having a family unit of Bears denning up right close to where I work and I could keep an eye on them through out the winter.

3kills
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
the cub probably wont survive unless the mom fattened him up already and chances are he wont den up fast enough chances of survival are slim

juiceterboost
10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
call the cos if you havent already they may come pick the cub up and take it to a center to raise and release when its ready

twr
10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
it's amazing what people will do for sheer joyment. is this fun? how would you like it if your mom and brother were shot in front of you and your house. people just don't think these days. the bear will not make it through the winter on his own.

shadow1982
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Honeslt speaking, I never felt bad when i usually read about pouchers, always brush it off with people are stupid what are going to do, but hearing about a cub being dead and another that is waiting for its death, really brings a tear in your eye... that is just plain sad

walks with deer
10-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Disgusting

Trapper D
10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
sad site for sure, probably wont survive especially up there, needs moms warmth to make it. but on a side note , maybe someones life was at stake, walked up on a den , with a cornered mom, not a very good situation , i would think. im sure that would have been a hairy situation. but really only the person that was there knows. hopefully it wasnt a random act of pointless killing of wildlife. im not justifying im just saying, just like some dead moose found , sometimes they charge and theres no where to go, we all no wildlife is unpredictable. some people havent had to deal with bluff charges and such, first time around, and becomes to the mind a life and death situation.. not every dead animal is an act of poaching. but i would say this, you have found enough dead animals, that more than likely one of them is an attempted poach. all you can do is report it. IMO.. just my thoughts, another thing is sometimes animals cant be found by the hunter, even after an exhaustive search. ive been fortunate , as ive harvested everything ive shot. knock on wood.

eric
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Well the Co's were out today and had a look at the 2 bears, took some pics,looked over the sow closely and suggested to leave the other cub to it's fate.
The Co's said this was one of the busiest seasons yet.
It probably didn't help that the Co from Chetwynd had transfered over to highways earlier in the yr.
The one fellow was from Ft Nelson helping out. Really nice folks to deal with.

TrapperD, the den was right beside the road. wrong place to wanna den for them. The Co's were thinking that maybe someone seen the bear but not the cubs, shot the bear and then they see the cub and not wanting to see the cub suffer,shoots the cub and doesn't report it.
The CO's said they have seen it, that if the cub was fat enough, and had been intraduced to the den, that there might be a chance the cub would den up and survive. I doubt it myself but you never know.

Trapper D
10-28-2011, 03:46 PM
hmm, , well when you fill your tag , im sure i know where your throwing the carcass, but even then, will probably only attrack wolves, and on the island the wolve scat has lots of bear fur in it. i wouldnt worry to much, you have to have the mindset of a good nature videographer, and let nature take it course. id probably be looking at my canned sockeye , and see how much i was willing to sacrifice, luckily im not in your boots. good luck and yes i know its not good to feed the wild animals cause blah blah blah, thats why im never going to be a Marty Stoufer...