PDA

View Full Version : Region 6-8 spring griz???

.330 Dakota
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Doing my research before I apply for a tag. I have been working up in the Houston/Smithers area and was wondering if anyone had hunted the area near the west side of Babine Lake for spring griz. I was looking at the Chapman Lake area. Any input is appreciated...

sledforever
10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Not the greatest place for grizz. You will see tons of blackies if you just drive the roads. Not to say the grizz aren't there at all, just not many of them

.330 Dakota
10-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Not the greatest place for grizz. You will see tons of blackies if you just drive the roads. Not to say the grizz aren't there at all, just not many of them

Well I was hoping to hear its overrun with griz..lol The reason I was looking there as it is within a 100km radius of Morice River which is poluted with grizzlies but you cant draw there..(89-1 odds) and it is near Hungry Hill which is where the 2 1000lb bears were shot a few years ago. 1 is under glass in Houston and the other is in the Smithers airport.
Have you hunted there in the spring or been thru there at that time?

Caribou_lou
10-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I wouldnt suggest it but there are grizz in the Chapman area. Far better to have a tag in the fall. Right now would be a great time! I would suggest 6-9 if your looking to do a spring hunt in the area. Odds arent as good but there area more Grizz for sure.

.330 Dakota
10-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I wouldnt suggest it but there are grizz in the Chapman area. Far better to have a tag in the fall. Right now would be a great time! I would suggest 6-9 if your looking to do a spring hunt in the area. Odds arent as good but there area more Grizz for sure.

Thanks Lou, My plan is to apply every fall for 6-9 Morice River while in the spring to apply where I might draw.
I would cherish a tag in 6-9 as I have seen a few bears while working there.

Caribou_lou
10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
You do know if you draw a spring tag you cannot put in for a fall LEH.