PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Day Hunting

PointMan
10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Had a fun, eventful day hunting today. Took a friend in for his first hunting trip today, he was pretty excited about it, he'd hunted years ago, but hadn't drawn a trigger in almost 20 years, so today was a big deal for him.

The trip started off with me mowing down a racoon that was unfortunate enough to be a couple of lengths behind his faster buddies. Tried to miss him, but not ditching my van for a racoon. Later that day we were cruising a cutblock, noticed a wt doe walking along the top toward the tree line. Got out, popped the magazine in, slid the bolt ahead, drew a bead, squeazed, CLICK! The round didn't chamber! Bolt must have been ahead slightly and blocked the round, oh well, maybe we'll find another.

Left there, headed out above a nearby lake, cruised around a while, spooked a little b bear, too small to bother with so we turned around to try somewhere else. As we headed back down I noticed a decent sized doe a few yards in the bush. We hopped out, I told him, here's your chance, everything but a bow on it. He popped it and down it went.

Small problem after that, he was so excited he cut his MULIE tag, cut it for antlerless too. (He did cut his wt tag once he figured out what he had done)As we all know, antlerless Mulie is LEH in region 8, so getting stopped at a roadside check with that cut would be a problem. He's planning on calling in the morning to report his error, my question is what are they likely to do, cancel his tag, fine him, both or what? Any idea? I was torn between smacking him and laughing at him, I opted for laughing, hopefully this dosen't cause him a big headache.

tinhorse
10-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I can't see them doing much. I bet they will look at the licence and sign it with a note that it was a mistake and possibly allow him to purchase a new tag for the region. In the last 5 years all the run ins with COs have all been pleasant. There seems to be lots of stories of people getting jerked around but Myself or any of my friends have never had this happen to us. I guess it all depends on how how talk and treat them.

Buckmeister
10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Congrats to your friend for a succesfull hunt. I imagine that they will be kind with him if he self reports.

GoatGuy
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
They'll probably void the cancelled md license and he'll be on the hook to pay the $15 for another mule deer license.

jml11
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
If in that situation again, where you are worried about being caught with an improper tag or whatever else accidental on your way out, just write on the species license page with the error "self-reporting" immediately. This shows your intent to report the error and you avoid the questions of trying to sneak out something potentially illegal if you encouter a CO on the way. This is described in the regs under accidental illegal harvest but I don't see why the same wouldn't apply when you accidentally cancel the wrong license.

walks with deer
10-27-2011, 09:46 AM
jml11 is correct that is the best way to handle it.

SHAKER
10-27-2011, 09:56 AM
If in that situation again, where you are worried about being caught with an improper tag or whatever else accidental on your way out, just write on the species license page with the error "self-reporting" immediately. This shows your intent to report the error and you avoid the questions of trying to sneak out something potentially illegal if you encouter a CO on the way. This is described in the regs under accidental illegal harvest but I don't see why the same wouldn't apply when you accidentally cancel the wrong license.

You'd really have to run into a A-hole to not accept a self report on an error cutting a tag. Good advice. Good note for all of us out there.