PDA

View Full Version : Do these count as a tine by the definition in the regs?

sammy-j-peppers
10-26-2011, 09:46 AM

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/efdkelly/IMG_6221.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/efdkelly/IMG_6222.jpg

r106
10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm no expert but I would say yes.

Isn't the rule - 1 inch or longer and longer than it is wide

10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
yep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Weatherby Fan
10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Check page 5 of the regs,
If a tine is longer than 1 inch it's considered a tine unless it's breadth is greater than the 1 inch length than it's not considered a tine.
The 2 pictures of tines you display would be considered a legal tine by the definition printed in the regs.

sarg
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Yup it's a tine, what's it of of? Moose?

Philcott
10-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes on both.

boxhitch
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
You guys have to read more
#1 - can't determine from one measurement, can only guess what the breadth is at 2.5 cm from the end, the minimum where it can be measured.
#2 - again , only one measurement given. Depending on where the breadth line is spotted, the length may not be greater. Tines don't have straight edges.

reach
10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
You guys have to read more
#1 - can't determine from one measurement, can only guess what the breadth is at 2.5 cm from the end, the minimum where it can be measured.
#2 - again , only one measurement given. Depending on where the breadth line is spotted, the length may not be greater. Tines don't have straight edges.
I would say yes to both. On #1, why not use the point where he put the tape... 1 1/8" long and, from my highly scientific measurement of putting my finger and thumb up to the screen :D just under 1" wide.

On #2, you can pick anywhere you like to measure it as long as it's over 1" long, so pick a spot that works. I would pick about 3" in where it is about 2" wide.

The first one could use some careful measurement but #2 is a no brainer.

ramron
10-26-2011, 11:56 AM
yeppers. legal tine.

SHAKER
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Use the CO's checker tool....... 1" long piece of PVC pipe with a 1" I.D. Never fails.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Use the CO's checker tool....... 1" long piece of PVC pipe with a 1" I.D. Never fails.

Yep. Works well. You can use copper pipe too for those who like shiny things:-D

bighornbob
10-26-2011, 12:14 PM

I use a 1" piece of copper pipe that is 1"wide. Works like a hot dam. Problem is trying to get the deer to hold still as I am placing it on their racks to see if its a point:)

Brian011
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes to both

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Yep. Works well. You can use copper pipe too for those who like shiny things:-D

Bad idea. Some crackhead in Westbank will knife you for it. Use PVC and stay safe! And think of how much it will rattle in your pocket with the change from Tim Hortons when you're sneaking up on a foolhen!

I'd give both tines a "yes" in the pics. The shortie is clearly longer than wide at the 1" mark, and the long one is longer than its base is wide.

Try this one: it's a 6 point by about 1/8 of an inch. I shot it in the 7B elk 3 point season, so it was a no-brainer to dump the bull, but without the tape, would you shoot it in a 6 point season? Remember, the tape helps visualize the lengths compared to field conditions.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0188.jpg

The other side:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0182.jpg

reach
10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes it would fail if the tine is more than 1" in diameter with a blunt tip.

The measurement can be taken anywhere as long as it's at least 2.5 cm in length. It does not have to be taken at exactly 2.5 cm.

And while we're splitting hairs, 1" is 2.54 cm and the regulation is 2.5 cm. So if the PVC pipe is exactly 1" long it could "fail" a legal tine that is 2.51 cm, for example.

Man, I need to get out more.

tinhorse
10-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Using the pipe would be great if the animals would just stand there and let me measure them. Then if I found it was legal, let me shoot it. If you have to measure after it's dead it might be a little late..... I guess for a shed antler it would be good or for just knowing on an already legal animal.

boxhitch
10-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I would say yes to both. On #1, why not use the point where he put the tape... 1 1/8" long and, from my highly scientific measurement of putting my finger and thumb up to the screen :D just under 1" wide.

On #2, you can pick anywhere you like to measure it as long as it's over 1" long, so pick a spot that works. I would pick about 3" in where it is about 2" wide.

The first one could use some careful measurement but #2 is a no brainer.#2 there is a spot about 3.5 from the end where the breadth does look to be about 3.7, by my fingers

10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes on 1 .... but 2 is very questionable .......... that said if I saw it in the field ... now thats a tuffy , but I would challenge any charge on either of them I mean come on !

CT

Oh and on thepic above Elk in 6 pt. season ...... bang ! flop ....... same deal, see ya in court.

Ddog
10-26-2011, 01:52 PM
i would say yes, although you are measuring the first one wrong, its a straight line from side to side of the tine.

jml11
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I think this could be a very informative thread for a lot of people, myself included.

From Philcott's thread, this moose many believe to be a legal 'spike-fork' by definition....my questions is, are the paddles considered 'tines' at all, especially the one closest to the hunter? Obviously the entire paddle is longer than it is wide, is that all you need to consider making it a 'tine' and thus a 3 point antler on that side or, because the entire thing is wider the 1" anywhere you look at it and there is no real 'point' is it not a 'tine'? Might be overanalyzing the def'n...:?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/philcott/DSCF0395.jpg

jeff
10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I think this could be a very informative thread for a lot of people, myself included.

From Philcott's thread, this moose many believe to be a legal 'spike-fork' by definition....my questions is, are the paddles considered 'tines' at all, especially the one closest to the hunter? Obviously the entire paddle is longer than it is wide, is that all you need to consider making it a 'tine' and thus a 3 point antler on that side or, because the entire thing is wider the 1" anywhere you look at it and there is no real 'point' is it not a 'tine'? Might be overanalyzing the def'n...:?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/philcott/DSCF0395.jpg

so are u saying this moose could be considered a spike fork. i would have to say no . but not possitive

Slee
10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
so are u saying this moose could be considered a spike fork.

The bull sure looks like he only has one tine on his right side and the rest is palmation ?

reach
10-26-2011, 02:54 PM
From Philcott's thread, this moose many believe to be a legal 'spike-fork' by definition....my questions is, are the paddles considered 'tines' at all, especially the one closest to the hunter? Obviously the entire paddle is longer than it is wide, is that all you need to consider making it a 'tine' and thus a 3 point antler on that side or, because the entire thing is wider the 1" anywhere you look at it and there is no real 'point' is it not a 'tine'? Might be overanalyzing the def'n...
I would call it a 3 point on the left (IMO the definition would make the whole paddle a "tine") but possibly a 2 point on the right. Can't tell from that angle.

Then again, I'm not a CO.

steel_ram
10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I would say a smooth edged palm still counts as a point on it's own.

boxhitch
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
so then the smooth edged palm would have a base line that runs from the salute finger of the poser to the main beam near the ear, if using B&C technique. That may be a long line.

Similar to the 'busted antler' thread of last year, no more than 2 points on one side constitutes a spike/fork bull.

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I would say a smooth edged palm still counts as a point on it's own.

If it's longer than it is wide, yes indeed.

The left moose antler above is a 3 point, no doubt about it. I can't see the right well enough to judge it. JML, don't get hung up on the 1" part, as that is just the minimum for tine qualification. A tine 3" long and 2" wide is a tine by definition.

kennyj
10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes they both do. IMO
kenny