PDA

View Full Version : To each their own..

CdnFirefighter
10-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Not going to say Yay or Nay on the aspect but up for you to decide. Ran across a hunter on an ATV.. we were glassing the same area. I am from the Okanagan and he was from the coast. Four days of running the area with his pals.. seen animals and what not. Open for any buck at this stage.

Seen two does.. cresting a hill.. looking back.. so we sat... told him to watch cause they were looking back and comfy at the time. Sure enough.. a two pointer comes into view. He shoots the buck.. first ever for him.

My ideal is how is that wrong? Lots of people are local only etc on here, well this fella is tickled pink... going home with something... and granted.. tis not the only two pointer in the area. LOL When he goes home... it will most likely fuel the year after for a get away and chum with the boyz.

Sure we won't give away the honey hole. But a little help.. picture yourself somewhere out of your comfort zone. We all want to harvest and put meat in the freezer. To those who read and put a thumbs up. Love it

One day that might be me or you in a strange land. Appreciation doesn't stop local... Lots of great hunters out there too. Tip of the hat to you all.

emerson
10-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Good call.

Wrayzer
10-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Thats what the community of hunters is about, helping each other out unselfishly. Theres been times I've been wayy out in areas far from my Region where I could have used help from a local, good on ya.

000buck
10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
top marks!! a decent human being still exists

BigfishCanada
10-26-2011, 07:24 AM
My buddy Marv from Kamloops seems to enjoy watching a friend or young one get a buck just as much as he shooting. I recently had some new friends at my cabin, ones father in his 70's got a nice meat buck...I enjoy hearing about a successful fun hunt almost as much as me being in one.

Good for you on helping the guy, in fact last year a guy stopped me and said..wanna a 4 point and pointed up the road which I took one shot with my 30/06 and nailed it.

Anyways, we as hunters should promote a friendly community. Theres not many trucks or quads I pass that dont get a wave from me when in the mountains!

coach
10-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Good post and good on you for "getting it" and doing the right thing.

greenhorn
10-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Good call.

Never hurts anyone to be helpful and courteous!

10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Why not be helpful? Good call.

behemoth
10-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Twice in the last 3 years I've been pounding the bush and pushed bucks out onto the road that and had "out of towner" road hunters shoot them.

I think thats awesome, everyone should get their deer if they take a couple of days off work to go hunting.

Besides, you gain favour with the hunting gods which is always paid back with interest!

MuleyMadness
10-26-2011, 08:33 AM
I couldn't agree more. Let's be honest, for the vast majority of out of town hunters coming to less than remote areas, they're not actively looking to nail a B&C buck (though of course they would if they got a chance)...they are looking to have some fun with their friends, enjoying the outdoors and a new area, with the added bonus of some meat on the pole. To me, what difference does it make if a person, or a few people pull a few bucks out of an area, it's not like they are an endangered species...and as a local, I have a lot more time to hunt the area, and finding a deer isn't generally going to be much of an issue. For a newcomer it's not like that, because they can prescout, get info from others, but in the end, it takes time to learn an area and be consistently successful.

I look at it as an opportunity to increase hunter success, which leads to renewed interest for themselves, and often their kids, family and friends, making retention and recruitment much more successful....as hunters, nothing, beyond proper wildlife conservation should be more important than that.

nap
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Everybody at one time has got some sort of help or direction from another, you done right, thumbs up for sure!!

lovemywinchester
10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Positive experience for both you guys. If you were really a good guy you would have gutted it for him as well.:-D

vortex hunter
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I like stuff like that.... you only get out what you put in . helping someone else is just as good as getting it yourself in my books ....

pete_k
10-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Awsome. I'll take a lesson from that.

nwalter
10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I think that with respect show to each other it has an underlying benefit. Helping your fellow hunter sets that little memory in the back of their head developing the comradery between us all which in turn when faced with complications from other people(ie. anti hunters, other persons who think they are the only one entitled to certain areas) we are more likely to stand up as a group and prove that we truely believe in what we do and its benefits to everyone and are not going to take shit from others and their warped sense of ideals

I had the opportunity to give some information to a fellow hunter about an area I go to, and I hope it works out well for him

sapper
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Some comments from MuleyMadness are perfect here. "I couldn't agree more. Let's be honest, for the vast majority of out of town hunters coming to less than remote areas, they're not actively looking to nail a B&C buck (though of course they would if they got a chance)...they are looking to have some fun with their friends, enjoying the outdoors and a new area, with the added bonus of some meat on the pole. To me, what difference does it make if a person, or a few people pull a few bucks out of an area, it's not like they are an endangered species...and as a local, I have a lot more time to hunt the area, and finding a deer isn't generally going to be much of an issue. For a newcomer it's not like that, because they can prescout, get info from others, but in the end, it takes time to learn an area and be consistently successful."
As an "out-of-towner" I can say that I appreciate it whenever others here give advice on an area to check out. I've had advice from fellow HBC'ers on here that have helped me with a LEH tag I had and on another occasion also helped me lead a friend I had just got into hunting to get his first deer. I envy those of you who live closer to the hunting areas and who are able to scout out areas throughout the year, check on game-cams, or (and here I an green) go out for a later afternoon hunt after work. As a weekend warrior its nice to be able to make the call on my way home and tell my wife that I'll be bringing something home for the freezer or to be able to answer in the affirmative my little girl's question of, "Did you catch a deer, Daddy?" :)
I haven't been able to do so yet this season but maybe this weekend.

SHAKER
10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Nothing wrong with lending a hand, I've turned people onto bucks I didn't want and they were more then happy to take a meat Deer... Thats what they're made for right!

orangestepside
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
hopefully "karma" puts that big buck in range for ya

604redneck
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Never had a person give me any pointers while out hunting. I have had ppl on this site send me in the direction they feel I will be successful which hasn't happened yet but I would help someone if I was put in the situation. I do notice alot of people's comments being stupid and sarcastic like when someone asks where all the bucks are and they get a reply like in the bush or in my freezer. It's honestly just a deer I'll take someone to the same place I've shot my last 3 deer...anyways hats off to you for helping