PDA

View Full Version : Any big mulies around Golden?

lovemywinchester
10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
My buddy just moved to Golden this summer and I am going for a visit this weekend. I am tagged out on bucks in reg. 3 so I thought I might go for a hunt while there. He works in the bush and says he sees "deer with antlers everyday". He doesn't hunt so he has no idea what big is so I was wondering if the mulies out there get huge or are they smaller than interior deer? Big mountains= big deer or smaller size due to short warm season. Any advice is appreciated.

kennyj
10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
There's huge mulies in the area. Go get one.
kenny

Mountain Hunter
10-25-2011, 09:03 PM
If your buddy is seeing 'deer with antlers everyday', then you shouldn't have a problem making your own judgement call when you get out there with him! Not too many people get that opportunity! Get out there, good luck!

lovemywinchester
10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
If your buddy is seeing 'deer with antlers everyday', then you shouldn't have a problem making your own judgement call when you get out there with him! Not too many people get that opportunity! Get out there, good luck!
The thing for me is I am running out of time to hunt. I really want to try and bag a big mulie. My buddy lives in Kelowna and we hunted there last week and I know there are some big boys near his place so I am not sure where I should put time in. I want to concentrate on where my best chance at a hog will be.

boxhitch
10-25-2011, 09:34 PM
I want to concentrate on where my best chance at a hog will be. Saskatchewan...........or Golden

Deer_Slayer
10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Go south of Golden about 30 km..hunt along east side of Valley..good mulies

Islandeer
10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
The thing for me is I am running out of time to hunt. I really want to try and bag a big mulie. My buddy lives in Kelowna and we hunted there last week and I know there are some big boys near his place so I am not sure where I should put time in. I want to concentrate on where my best chance at a hog will be.

Life can be a bitch sometimes ...

wsm
10-26-2011, 08:34 AM
i have never hunted around golden, however on my drives through i have some absolute hogs before golden . on the trans canada hwy . i seem to only see them for the last 30-45 mins of driving before u get to golden . just my .02 cents. maybe some1 will help u out from there

LukaTisus
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
There's some beasts out here.. but the biggest ones stay up high until the snow's practically belly-deep before it pushes them down.. so if you want a hog, you're gonna have to hike. :P 4-35's got some beauties.. but like I mentioned, you gotta work for 'em.

Rodd
10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Kelowna is wayyy better!! ;) Nothing of any trophy calibre around these parts!! JK! Gotta work for them like anywhere, but they are protected by thousand's of hectare's of timber.... Which is why we have Big Old deer... Good timber hunters can do well!

lovemywinchester
10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input folks. My weekend hunting plans have been changed due to the opening of the Thompson this weekend. The only thing I like better than hiking for deer is hunting for 25lb steelies!!! Not sure if Golden closes on the 10th like Kelowna or not. Better check the regs.