PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes

scottwh
10-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Looking to update my spotting scope. Any input out there on straight eye piece vs angled eye piece?

srupp
10-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I have used both..and went with the angled...it seems to provide better neck posture for longer use..., the scope can be lower down and thus not so affected by the wind, and you can still sit straight up..

just all around higher comfort for extended usage...imo

srr

evhunter
10-25-2011, 07:45 AM
I prefer the angled as well. Was a little unsure if I would like the angled better when I dropped the money on a Swarovski. I'm glad I did. One thing I will add is, be sure that the angled scope you do buy rotates on it's "foot" . Few are static and I would think all high end scopes have this feature, but it is one of the must haves in an angled scope!

Jagermeister
10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I prefer the angled as well. Was a little unsure if I would like the angled better when I dropped the money on a Swarovski. I'm glad I did. One thing I will add is, be sure that the angled scope you do buy rotates on it's "foot" . Few are static and I would think all high end scopes have this feature, but it is one of the must haves in an angled scope!
With the Swarovski, the rotating barrel allows you be scope from the prone position, the only disadvantage is the aiming aid device is not quite as functional as it is from the sitting or standing poition. The aiming aid device is best with the STM regardless of scope manufacture. For me, I rarely use the this as I start at the lowest power and go from there.

So, you are asking in general and some of us are talking Swaro', you buy what fits your budget with consideration of the benefits of angled or straight.

Since you are upgrading, buy the best you can. By spending the money on a high end scope like Swarovski or Leica, you will only need to spend once. Buying otherwise, like I have, will cost you more in the end as you progressively spend more money upgrading.

The downside of expensive is if you drop it, it's a big hit to replace. That's why I have mine insured against all peril along with rifle optics.

You can ask your home insurance broker about a rider for these items along with your firearms and other accessories. Your home insurance will pay up to about $3000, anything above will not be covered. You will need an itemized list. Cost is nominal, usually less than $100 but depending on how much value you are insuring. I think I paid around $60.

snareman1234
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I got the angled Swaro HD 65mm,,,been pretty happy with it. Only thing I may sometimes wish I has a straight was when we were stalking some stones and wanted ti have a look at one ram to judge him while we were close, and we used buddies straight spotter, to just peak over the height of land, to look at this ram,,,,,but I guess with the angled you could just rotate it, so your head was not above skyline, just may be hard to find animal initially,

todbartell
10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd go angled if given the option

~T-BONE~
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Angled for sure...

Tenacious Billy
10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Look through both - pick what YOU like the best. For me that was angled.

Rubicon500
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I would say have a look for your self , I know lots of people who prefer the straight over the angled. I find the angled one rather goofy to look through

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
I bought the straight Swaro. The angled made my screwed up neck bark at me.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's a Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. Anything else is crap.

Ruger4
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Whatever you buy, make sure it's a Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. Anything else is crap.

I knew that was coming , Ford vs Chev vs Dodge , here we go............................Bowwalker in 3-2-1

scottwh
10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanx for the input. Its going to be a Swarovski for sure. My present scope is angled so I am kinda used to it. Yes, you get what you pay for for sure. Its better to just bite the bullet and get good stuff rite off the hop. What are the Leica's like? Their cameras are top shelf so I would imagine the scopes are too? Thanx again.

Scott

srupp
10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I got to sit for over 1 hr..outside..with Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro..went with the Swaro HD 65 20 X-60X ..AND HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH IT..was a close call between the Zeiss and the Swaro..Swaro was a bit "truer" color and seemed to be crisper all the way to the edge of the view..didnt get fuzzy 2 the edges..I like the slide out shade extender, rotating body...and custom case ...

steven

ryan_jess
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
How are the Leupold spotting scopes?

Rubberfist
10-25-2011, 07:32 PM
+1 to what Srupp said. The Diascope is a great scope, however any comparison between the 65mm Swaro and Zeiss is quickly ended: the Diascope's mag range is 15-45...the Swaro's is 20-60. Quite simply, choosing 45x over 60x is just a bad move, particularly if you plan on hunting sheep or alpine mulies.

The Leica Televid offers amazing resolution and clarity, and it has one of the best features available in any spotter: macro and a micro focus adjustment. However the only eyepiece available is the 25-50x wide angle, which again can be an issue if you plan on counting rings. The Televid is also the most expensive of the three.

Anyhow, Swaro is the way to go, and if you can go to HD, it is worth it in the long run.

Spitzer
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I went with the straight Kowa tsn-774, 20-60x77mm.

sheephunterab
10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
+1 to what Srupp said. The Diascope is a great scope, however any comparison between the 65mm Swaro and Zeiss is quickly ended: the Diascope's mag range is 15-45...the Swaro's is 20-60. Quite simply, choosing 45x over 60x is just a bad move, particularly if you plan on hunting sheep or alpine mulies.

The Leica Televid offers amazing resolution and clarity, and it has one of the best features available in any spotter: macro and a micro focus adjustment. However the only eyepiece available is the 25-50x wide angle, which again can be an issue if you plan on counting rings. The Televid is also the most expensive of the three.

Anyhow, Swaro is the way to go, and if you can go to HD, it is worth it in the long run.

The new Diascope is 15-56x65. A nice zoom range for searching and taking a closer look.

rocksteady
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I have used both...I do not find an advantage to the angled versus straight with the following rider clause:

WIth either, make sure you have a decent tripod !!!!

The best glass in the world is gonna suck if your tripod is crap and you are humped over it like a dog doing a fuzzy football....for hours on end....A multi adjustable tripod (swivel head etc) makes even the straight barrels a pleasure to look through....

Weatherby Fan
10-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I have used both...I do not find an advantage to the angled versus straight with the following rider clause:

WIth either, make sure you have a decent tripod !!!!

The best glass in the world is gonna suck if your tripod is crap and you are humped over it like a dog doing a fuzzy football....for hours on end....A multi adjustable tripod (swivel head etc) makes even the straight barrels a pleasure to look through....

Since I will end up with a Swarovski or a Leica spotter is there a particular tripod you recomend ?

Elkaddict
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I bought the straight Swaro. The angled made my screwed up neck bark at me.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's a Kowa, Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. Anything else is crap.

I knew that was coming ,Toyota vs Ford vs Chev vs Dodge , here we go............................Bowwalker in 3-2-1

Fixed:mrgreen: Sorry, couldn't resist:twisted:

Weatherby Fan, if you are not completely sold on a Swaro or Leica and you'd like a look see through a Kowa zip me a pm. I am in Maple Ridge as well. If you have your mind made up, no worries. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Cheers.

killman
10-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Straight would be better for looking out a truck window. :)

Alpine Addict
10-30-2011, 09:35 AM
I personally like straight, I find it quicker to locate animals and like previously posted you don't have to skyline yourself if looking down on rams. BUT. Most guides I know like angled. If your going to be doing alot of glassing from valley bottoms, like for stones, angled is alot more comfortable for your neck. So if you can get used to it I'd get angled.

Alpine Addict
10-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Eg. Angled would have been nice here.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Picture912.jpg

The Hermit
10-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Guys guys guys... forget the Swaro, Leica, Ziess "big name" stuff. Save some serious money and buy a BETTER scope. KOWA the best on the planet!

wiggy
10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I choose straight; just my choice; seems a little more versatile in different situations such as straight down a rock cliff; further the kowa prolimar is the best scope on the market hands down; read the reviews and bird forums; when you look through one it is wow

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't forget...a straight fits a little nicer in a sidepocket in a pack.

Food for thought.

SSS

Elkaddict
10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
As evhunter and Jagemeister have said, if you have an angled scope with a rotating barrel you can look over a crest or down a slope without skylining yourself. Finding the target is a little more difficult this way though. I find the angled more versatile. The only places I have found the straight scope to be an advantage is when your in the truck, (angled scopes are harder to use with a window mount), and they pack easier.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/V1Vr/Kowa/P1050004.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/V1Vr/Kowa/P1050006.jpg

rifleman
10-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I tried the angled a couple of times & I just didn't seam right, it was hard to line it up with the animal. I like the inline one for sure.
Try both & see which one you like better...

islandhunter
10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
i went with the the vortex razor straight body. Just because it fits in my pack better

Sitkaspruce
10-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Also remember, with the angled, you will find it a PITA when it rains. I like the straight simply for that reason, less rain on the lens.

Cheers

SS