PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when the bulls down on day 2?

10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
You go to 100 mile exploring.

Just got back from a Moose trip with a buddy and came home with something to write about.

Saturday at noon we left the Island To presue Big D's Bull moose draw in Reg 5. Just the 2 of us and Daves dad on the run up. Daves dad Dave (Yup) was going to stay at his son's house in 108 mile for the week and we were going to pick him up on the trip back. So he could get some work done around the house.

We arrived in 108 at 10pm Dropped of Pop's and hit the road again for a couple more hours. Arriving in camp in the wee hours of the morning we started a fire and had a couple beers while discussing the plan. Plan was to sleep in a bit and go for a drive to see the place. This is what i do all the time, I have been to this place a few times and know it well but it is good to cover ground on day one to find some sign. So we drove all day and found good sign right where i knew it would be.

Sitting around the fire that night we chatted about out plan to get in the area 1hr before daylight and call in the one spot untill either we shoot a moose or the crack of 11am. This was a short conversation due to the late night before. We hit the sack early.

Next morning we get at'er as planned. Find the perfect place to sit, and sit.
I like to let the bush settle for 30min before i start to call. This I think lets anything close to you settle down before you try to fool it.

Starting to call, I call wait 10min then call again. On round three we hear a close reply. Just as we start to get into position my good ole fried points out that my dog is now barking in the truck,,,,, F$%#! Aparently we didnt park far enough away! Pull up our position and moove further away for the remainder of the morning to no avail.

That afternoon we develop new plan, one where the truck is further away and we are on the "Grassy knowl" At 4pm. So lunch is eaten and a new log for the fire is in the truck and we are on our walk into the spot. We sit down get the packs on the stumps Range find the new tree lines and get out the binos. When off to the right i see movement, Its not even 10 after 4. We cant verify bull or cow so I let out a low to the ground cow call,,,, Might as well said to the moose " Baby im drunk and want some" He came running.

Stopping behind a tree Dave cant get a good shot,,, Then he steps out and we have full verification,,, "Shoot the moose Dave!" BOOM! Moose takes a quick stroll and colapses. Now it begins.

You remember the log we got for the fire? The one we split and stacked nicely in the truck. Gone,,, If you find a pile of pine on the side of the road keep it quiet cuz thats out spot!

After the work is done it is around 9:30pm in camp with a bit of clean up required in the morning. Beers! We now have our moose and 8 more days to the trip. We cant shoot deer because the home freezer wont handle it on top of the fish etc. So we decide to take the easy route, Go to 108 mile and hang the moose and explore some new area and look for some birds!

We never did find too many of them damned birds.

10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Here is a pic of Dave and his moose.
The shot was taken from the treeline in the back ground. Approximatly 300yds away.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00228.jpg (javascript:;)

10-24-2011, 09:25 PM
This is a pic of where he fell.
Not the proximity to the truck! Nice when it works out.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00424.jpg (javascript:;)

10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
And here is a picture of me and The moose

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00718.jpg (javascript:;)

Shooter
10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Gotta love it when it all falls in to place. :) Congrats on a successful hunt.

Jelvis
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Nice bull. Good antlers, big body and healthy looking as well.
Jel

Phil
10-24-2011, 09:39 PM
That's the way to do it! Nice work fellas!

sakofinnlight
10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Excellent Bull, was your draw for 5-2a?

LeverActionJunkie
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Nice bull congratulations! Gotta love when they drop close to the road like that :)

ELK Seeker
10-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Could u have made it a little easier for yourselves lol :)

hunter1947
10-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Nice bull and a great place to drop him the truck will back right up to him to load ,well done ,congrats to you and your partner..

dave_83golf
10-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Love it! Thanks for the story, and the pics! Impresive little bull there. Should be tasty!!

5 spike
10-25-2011, 04:33 AM
great story and pics. you guys got it done quick. congrats.

Tikka270wsm
10-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Glad it worked out for ya buddy! Now if the island deer would just cooperate in the same manner.

Philcott
10-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Great story Dru. Nice moose too.

That damn dog of yours seems to know just when it shouldn't bark and does out of spite anyway.

d6dan
10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Nice Bull 835. You got to like it when its over early. Congrats to Dave on a good shot. Good pics and story..

10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Nice bull!

10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Great story Dru. Nice moose too.

That damn dog of yours seems to know just when it shouldn't bark and does out of spite anyway.

Phil, you know it.
He can be a bugger. Next season When the fishing is back we'll have another crack at it without the little turd! But in his defense it was cold and crisp that morning and i was calling loud and he was way too close to us.

Philcott
10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
He probably needed to take a leak too. We'll have to get together (the over 30 crowd that is) and eat some sausages and jerky.

10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
A bit of missing information i forgot to include in the story,,,,,

There are a couple lessons i never learn and o couple i never forget.

1 When you get to camp and are about to begin a moose hunt put all the things you need in the truck right away including 2 or three tarps not just 1. When you are trying your best to keep a moose clean while dicing it up a couple tarps are handy. Not just the one that will go in the truck under the moose.

2 Always bring multiple methods to quarter the thing. We had a generator and a Makita Sawsall with the Demolition blades ( make sure you use the demo's they are way better then any other ) Right as we were 1/2 way through the first quarter the whole head came off the saw in peices. Cant fix. Move over to next method, Two hatchets. Place one hatchet on the bone and whack it with the other like driving a wedge into a log round.

3 Although it might be like counting Chickens before they are hatched build a game pole during the slow parts of the day. Although we didnt have a slow part because we had barely started hunting. But this way when you get into camp at dark you can get right at it instead of fumbling around in the dark getting the pole up.

4 no matter how many moose you shoot, when you walk up to them you always get that feeling of impending doom of the volume of work that is about to take place!

5 after it is hung and good for the night pay very close attention to the ratio of rum you mix with the coke, that one always gets me.

Foxton Gundogs
10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
You go to 100 mile exploring.

Just got back from a Moose trip with a buddy and came home with something to write about.

Saturday at noon we left the Island To presue Big D's Bull moose draw in Reg 5. Just the 2 of us and Daves dad on the run up. Daves dad Dave (Yup) was going to stay at his son's house in 108 mile for the week and we were going to pick him up on the trip back. So he could get some work done around the house.

We arrived in 108 at 10pm Dropped of Pop's and hit the road again for a couple more hours. Arriving in camp in the wee hours of the morning we started a fire and had a couple beers while discussing the plan. Plan was to sleep in a bit and go for a drive to see the place. This is what i do all the time, I have been to this place a few times and know it well but it is good to cover ground on day one to find some sign. So we drove all day and found good sign right where i knew it would be.

Sitting around the fire that night we chatted about out plan to get in the area 1hr before daylight and call in the one spot untill either we shoot a moose or the crack of 11am. This was a short conversation due to the late night before. We hit the sack early.

Next morning we get at'er as planned. Find the perfect place to sit, and sit.
I like to let the bush settle for 30min before i start to call. This I think lets anything close to you settle down before you try to fool it.

Starting to call, I call wait 10min then call again. On round three we hear a close reply. Just as we start to get into position my good ole fried points out that my dog is now barking in the truck,,,,, F$%#! Aparently we didnt park far enough away! Pull up our position and moove further away for the remainder of the morning to no avail.

That afternoon we develop new plan, one where the truck is further away and we are on the "Grassy knowl" At 4pm. So lunch is eaten and a new log for the fire is in the truck and we are on our walk into the spot. We sit down get the packs on the stumps Range find the new tree lines and get out the binos. When off to the right i see movement, Its not even 10 after 4. We cant verify bull or cow so I let out a low to the ground cow call,,,, Might as well said to the moose " Baby im drunk and want some" He came running.

Stopping behind a tree Dave cant get a good shot,,, Then he steps out and we have full verification,,, "Shoot the moose Dave!" BOOM! Moose takes a quick stroll and colapses. Now it begins.

You remember the log we got for the fire? The one we split and stacked nicely in the truck. Gone,,, If you find a pile of pine on the side of the road keep it quiet cuz thats out spot!

After the work is done it is around 9:30pm in camp with a bit of clean up required in the morning. Beers! We now have our moose and 8 more days to the trip. We cant shoot deer because the home freezer wont handle it on top of the fish etc. So we decide to take the easy route, Go to 108 mile and hang the moose and explore some new area and look for some birds!

We never did find too many of them damned birds.

Go bird hunting HMMMMM tagged out on the second day, wouldn't it be weird if "someone" had said that might happen LOL....Nice bull, great story, congrats. Time to kill ducks and geese now!

coach
10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Great story and pictures. Really good advice there too, 835. Particularly point number 5. Although I always figured the headache the next morning was from bad ice. Now you got me thinking..

Congratulations on a successful hunt.

popsy
10-25-2011, 08:29 AM
great bull , pictures and story!!! Rum was invented for these good times.

10-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Go bird hunting HMMMMM wouldn't it be weird if "someone" had said that might happen LOL....Nice bull congrats.

But you never think it actually will happen!
And actually you were a large part of why we went to 108. Family was there as well, but you got me thinking.

Philcott
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
5 after it is hung and good for the night pay very close attention to the ratio of rum you mix with the coke, that one always gets me.

If you never mix this is not a worry. Until morning that is.

Foxton Gundogs
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
But you never think it actually will happen!
And actually you were a large part of why we went to 108. Family was there as well, but you got me thinking.

Time you and that big black dog come kill waterfowl with me lol

stitch
10-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Thats a nice lookin piece of animal you guys got.....way to go!. I wanted to ask how the hunt went but in one of your posts yesterday you said you were a bad hunter so didnt want to ask just in case you guys got skunked.....glad to see that wasn't the case.

10-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Jim,
Yep it is getting time for a hunt isnt it! I just have to delegate some time to my wife and house first. I've had a good season hunting this year and need to "High Grade" my hunting time. End of November?

Stitch,
I can hold my own in the bush :)
I just dont like to let it on! The plan went togeather way too well on this trip. I would have liked a couple failed attempts so we coulda hunted more. But the "Drive around and find sign then plan attack for the AM" Fell into place too well! Day one of "True hunting" to get a reply on the third call? and after a minor interuption go shoot it? I have never had it go so well.

JDR
10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt, gotta love it when it happens that quick!

Foxton Gundogs
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Jim,
Yep it is getting time for a hunt isnt it! I just have to delegate some time to my wife and house first. I've had a good season hunting this year and need to "High Grade" my hunting time. End of November?

Stitch,
I can hold my own in the bush :)
I just dont like to let it on! The plan went togeather way too well on this trip. I would have liked a couple failed attempts so we coulda hunted more. But the "Drive around and find sign then plan attack for the AM" Fell into place too well! Day one of "True hunting" to get a reply on the third call? and after a minor interuption go shoot it? I have never had it go so well.

Lots of water in the marsh by then U bring some moose sausage lol.

10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
ok,,,, I guess i'll have to get some made then!

greenhorn
10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Nice job 835!! You look real happy!

10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks Greenhorne, i was and am happy about it.

shortly after that picture was taken my expression changed to "Ok,,, now we,,, ummm ok"
you can actually see it a bit in my smile!

I love moose hunting i really do, even the bit after you shoot them and are trying to figure out where to start. But I must admit shooting them in the morning is soo much nicer. You have time to think. Even though we shot this one at 4pm right beside the road there was only 2 of us and we had some issues along the way that took some good time. And im not a rookie moose killer, there just big.

spear
10-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Right on, I dont think the truck could be any closer!
Better buy another freezer!!

Big D
10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
always good when a plan comes together, cause Dru also asked me why in the h>>l did you buy 600' of rope. starting to think that we know what we are doing when it comes to moose hunting.

10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
always good when a plan comes together, cause Dru also asked me why in the h>>l did you buy 600' of rope. starting to think that we know what we are doing when it comes to moose hunting.

Ya we like to stand 300+ yards away from the road and shoot back at it!
only needed like 1/4 of the 600 feet we had. woulda traded that for a tarp!

Big D
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
spaghetti and moose ribs for dinner tonight, and when it comes to the tarp situation, i think that i said that we should go back to camp and get them. I think everything turned out very well anyways its all in our freezers. 3/4 bottle of rum to 4 drinks is just askin for a hangover, but they taste great when you are still pumped after shooting an animal

greenhorn
10-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks Greenhorne, i was and am happy about it.

shortly after that picture was taken my expression changed to "Ok,,, now we,,, ummm ok"
you can actually see it a bit in my smile!

I love moose hunting i really do, even the bit after you shoot them and are trying to figure out where to start. But I must admit shooting them in the morning is soo much nicer. You have time to think. Even though we shot this one at 4pm right beside the road there was only 2 of us and we had some issues along the way that took some good time. And im not a rookie moose killer, there just big.

That's awesome.

Your moose trip went way better than mine. We hunted hard for a solid week and saw one maybe two bulls, all way too far away to get them out!! You got one withing spitting distance of the road!!

kennyj
10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice bull. Way to get er done.
kenny

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice moose bull.

10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
spaghetti and moose ribs for dinner tonight, and when it comes to the tarp situation, i think that i said that we should go back to camp and get them. I think everything turned out very well anyways its all in our freezers. 3/4 bottle of rum to 4 drinks is just askin for a hangover, but they taste great when you are still pumped after shooting an animal

Yep, I clearly remember that statement! Mostly because i kept repeating in my head "We shoulda gone back for another tarp!"
And the butcher did say he thought it was really clean, So we did well.

moose2
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Congratulations on a successful hunt nice bull moose
Mike