PDA

View Full Version : Back from my region 5-12a moose LEH hunt.

troutseeker
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, partner and I are back from our moose hunt. The weather was beautiful, it sure was pretty warm! The full moon was very nice too... We took some great scenery pictures, walked lot's, drove lot's glassed lot's too.

Saw a cow and calf and one doe. Saw one moose down from a group of 10 Island hunters (any of you guys on this site?).

Kinda dissapointed in not seeing a live bull, but we worked hard at it and are satisfied with a great outdoor experience.

Thanks Srupp for your advice, things sure would have been differnet during the rut!

mark
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Thats a bummer, but thats how she goes sometimes!

srupp
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I agree things were slow...moose didnt seem to want to move much...first hour or 2 and last 30 minutes....but yes it was warm...

a couple of bulls were harvested there while you were gone...but kinda zippermouth as to the exact location..it was on a creek for one...as the photo clearly showed..

cheers
Steven

papaken
10-25-2011, 03:00 AM
We too had the same luck as troutseeker. Great weather for "hiking with guns" can't say hunting as there did not seem to be any moose. Lovely moon, you could walk to the washrooms at 2 am without a light. Tried it all hiking, driving, boating and calling. One group at the resort had a couple of Whitetails and a couple of Muleys hanging in the shed along with quite a few geese and grouse. Did see 2 guys with a bull down the second day we were up there. The grandson and his buddy did see a cow cross the highway when they went to get gas and saw a bull in a spot I had called at the day before but they couldn't get it. I hiked into one meadow and then through the trees I could see 2 large black things about 200yds out in the next meadow. Sneek along the tree line and through to the next meadow and find 2 nice black wild horses feeding :-(. Did see one very large black bear (so big at first I thought it was a black angus grasing at the side of the road). This was at about noon right on the "P" road no safe shot and when I tried to get out and get a better position he bolted for parts unknown. All in all got to see a number of does, 1 other bear, some coyotes, wild horses, swans, ducks and some crazy grouse strutting around like it was mating season. Spent some good time with my grandson and his friend. Met some nice people and got out there. To me that's still a great trip. And now I still have to go hunting more, OH! Darn