PDA

View Full Version : here's a nobie question

mrhappygolucky
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
does antlerless white tail mean that a doe is fair game?

please don't just tell me to read the regs, i have done this and it does not specify sex under the antlerless definition. the reason i ask is in some places such as the bow section it specifies "either sex"

The Dawg
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep. Antlerless is exactly that. No matter the sex.

mrhappygolucky
10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
excellent, some happy doe might go missing this wed!

it would be so much clearer if they just put either sex to make it consistent with the other sections.

Morel
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
You might consider contacting the MoE with your suggestion. If you were confused, chances are others are confused as well.

tinhorse
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Either sex usually refers to animals with or without antlers. Antlerless is just that "no antlers"

Rainsford
10-24-2011, 07:45 PM
That's not a dumb question, I also asked that question when I first went out. Goon on ya for checking before shooting.

TESKELLY
10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Either sex usually refers to animals with or without antlers. Antlerless is just that "no antlers"

Does that mean you can only harvest a male or female without antlers during that time or does it include males and females with antlers as well?

MuleyMadness
10-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Does that mean you can only harvest a male or female without antlers during that time or does it include males and females with antlers as well?

The sex doesn't matter....so if you happen on a female with (yes it happens) antlers, or without you can shoot either, as well you can shoot a male with or without antlers at that time (this is assuming of course an antlered season where you are, which I believe is the case throughout where the WT antlerless seasons are. This is why they went with the antlered and antlerless designations...either sex can have antlers, and it's hard to look for the sex organs through a scope :)

Allen50
10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
can you tell the sex of a animal be for you shoot it, if it happens to have antlers, i think most of us hunters take it that if it has antlers its male, antlerless means just that no antlers, and it should be a doe,,, just a though,

huntwriter
10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
can you tell the sex of a animal be for you shoot it, if it happens to have antlers, i think most of us hunters take it that if it has antlers its male, antlerless means just that no antlers, and it should be a doe,,, just a though,

If the animal is close enough you can look between the hind legs to determine gender. :) Seriously, the chances that you see a antlered doe are very, very slim. It is estimated that only one doe in about 50,000 has antlers. It's simple if it is "antlerless season" kill any deer that has no antlers and you're fine. Conversely if it is "antlered" season kill any deer that has antlers, all you need to be aware of in that case are point restrictions.

tash
10-24-2011, 11:30 PM
When one is unsure, it's always better to double-check!
Good for you, and good luck!

3kills
10-25-2011, 12:20 AM

it could be button buck though and not have bone stickin out yet but it is still legal as antlerless

MaxQtime
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
If the animal is close enough you can look between the hind legs to determine gender. :) Seriously, the chances that you see a antlered doe are very, very slim. It is estimated that only one doe in about 50,000 has antlers. It's simple if it is "antlerless season" kill any deer that has no antlers and you're fine. Conversely if it is "antlered" season kill any deer that has antlers, all you need to be aware of in that case are point restrictions.

My friend shot a doe with antlers his first season out hunting, confused us both as it was my first season as well