PDA

View Full Version : Trail cam reccomendations?

lange1212
10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm wanting to purchase a couple of trail camera's and the options are unlimited. What's on the market that you've used, works well, and is affordable?

mark
10-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Buy the cheapest you can find.....shitrats steal them! Wallmart has wildviews for $80 simple and work fine!

Ubertuber
10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
^^What Mark said ^^
Wildview cams work good, I'd recommend them if you're concerned about theft.

todbartell
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Bushnell Trophy Cam 8.0 mega pixel is the most impressive I've used. Fast trigger time, good clear photos, outstanding battery life. Had one out since June with 6000+ pics and still shows 30% battery life left on 8 AA ENergizers. Probably around $200

wasn't too many years ago we were paying $400+ for a 3.0 mega pixel 'night vision' cam that was a POS. The $100 Tasco cams are every bit or better than those ones

greenhorn
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Have a Moultrie IR cam that works pretty awesome, around $150 I think....It does everything from still shots, bursts, video and night vision as well

tash
10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Had a Primos TruthCam until scumbags took it...
Took decent night shots although we often had to do a bit of tweaking with the photo settings afterwards (on the computer) when the animals were at a distance.

Do make sure to lock up the cam or put it up high where it won't be disturbed.

We will likely be getting a cheaper camera next time and being a lot more careful about placement...it wouldn't occur to me to take a game cam, so we got too complacent and put it in much too obvious of a location...lesson learned!

Brian011
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Get one of the small cheap ones that takes 4 AA batteries, the batteries last a long time and it's cheap to replace them. I had a bushnell trophy cam that was really good until someone stole it so now I've been sticking with the tasco cams cause they are half the price.

hunter1947
10-25-2011, 02:36 AM
I have 7 moultrie trail cams and take very nice pictures they coast $99.99 sometimes they have them on sale for 59.00 at Walmart or wholesale sports..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P7080100.JPG (javascript:;)

Ponderosa
10-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Bushnell trophy cam 8.0 mp are awsome cameras. they take noce clear pics and quick trigger and recovery times. I have 3 of them and love them. night pics are awsome as well. they also take very good video. have a moultrie D55 IR as well, its not too bad. slow recovery time (1 min) and night time shots are very grainy and often blurry especially if the animal is moving. check out ebay. always lots of trail cams on there, I picked up my bushnells there for $150 each.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't recommend getting stealthcam. Have had nothing but problems with mine which wouldn't be that bad if the company stood behind their product and actually answered my emails. The spend and awefull lot of money on sponsering hunting shows. Maybe they should divert some of that coin to standing behind their product.

SSS

Rodd
10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I use the Cuddebacks! They have worked flawlessly for me... Good quality pictures.. and around 200$ But I am very careful with placement, and haven't lost one yet to the theives!! Knock on wood!! lol I personally like the ones with a flash, as they produce nice color images at night, although harder to hide.... my 2 cents!

pghuntman
10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Sure seems to be a common reply about theft of the cams..... all the security gadgets dont work so well when those idiots have all the time in the world to figure a way to steal them out in the bush!

Superdeuce
10-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Crappy Tire has last years's Bushnell 8mp model on sale for $112 (reg $280). Cheapest I have ever seen including online USA. The Island is sold out unfortunately and no rain checks. If you get lucky finding stock on the mainland, buy the store out and put em up for sale here.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/1/Hunting/GameCameras.jsp?locale=en

MadArcher
10-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Reconyx makes the best cameras, hands down. They are pricey, but you can lock the camera to the tree through the housing, they are failsafe and ultra fast- reasearchers and professionals use them (I.e. where they can't fail.). Check out site below for very thorough testing and reviews. The Bushnel Trophy cams are second in line for a variety of reasons- price point being a big one.

http://www.trailcampro.com/