PDA

View Full Version : Back from babine and i'm pissed.

Hanrahan
09-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I went up to babine lake area for moose and deer for 10 days on the 9th. Set up camp in a little spot off the road beside a creek. We had two bikes and were going to do a bunch of hiking as well. The weather was unseasonably hot for the first 3 or 4 days and nothing was moving anywhere. Then the weather got crappy. Snow and rain and wind, etc. All this would be fine as i enjoy getting out and playing in the bush and shooting grouse even if we don't see any big game. (lots of bears, but i wasn't bear hunting) The problem is that every night i'd be woken up with a truck going by at 2:00 - 5:00 in the morning with a spotlight on the tent. They'd quickly turn the spotlight off and drive away. In the course of the ten days we were there we found SEVEN dead moose. A bull and a cow with four quarters taken, a cow with three quarters taken, a bull, cow and calf with just the hind quarters taken and a cow that had the hind quarters all shot up and was left to rot. :mad: SOMEBODY has been pit lamping the area hard, and they ruin it not only for the ethical hunter but for themselves as well. I'm going back up next weekend. Hopefully it will be a little colder and the moose will have started to rut. But it'll be the last time i put in for a draw in that area.

DropTines
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
How pathetic is that, did you report this to a CO, you would think they would get nailed, nice way to ruin the hunt.
________
Vapir No2 (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

30-06
09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
what a bunch of meatheads..just ruinin the hunt for someone else who wants the animals not just the racks.

Tarp Man
09-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Hanrahan, take pics and email them to the CO's with details. They probably appreciate reports like that, which most likely help with any future investigation. Who knows, maybe there is one ongoing as we type? Eyes and ears everywhere. That is what poachers need to know.
-Tarp Man

PGKris
09-19-2006, 06:01 PM
RAPP. Enough said.

BlacktailStalker
09-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Sounds like time to get the mechanical moose out up there.

palmer
09-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Get that STORY to the CO's ASAP

DropTines
09-19-2006, 08:01 PM
as I stated in my earlier post! Well not quite but thats what I was getting at

browningboy
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Try to get a plate number next time if possible.
Damn poachers!

3kills
09-19-2006, 08:23 PM
shoot their dam pitlamp out....

~T-BONE~
09-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Hanrahan, take pics and email them to the CO's with details. They probably appreciate reports like that, which most likely help with any future investigation. Who knows, maybe there is one ongoing as we type? Eyes and ears everywhere. That is what poachers need to know.
-Tarp Man

Well said I would definately be making an attempt to help catch those losers!!!!!!!!!!i:evil: :evil: :evil: If I were headed back to this area would definatly be informing the atthorities.. Makes me vibrate with anger..........

gitnadoix
09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Yep alls it takes is for a good reliable acurate report with real info and the CO's can drop what their doing and justify spending some night hours in the area of the accurate report.

Ya cant complain if ya dont report. Not sayin ya didnt, just so many whine but do nothing else and expect a couple of CO's to cover an area with a million miles of logging roads every night.

PGKris
09-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Now we're talking!!

Hanrahan
09-20-2006, 01:58 PM
i would've liked to get a license plate or an id on the truck but they were driving by in the middle of the night with me deep in my sleeping bag. All we saw was the aftermath. All those carcases lying around make it dangerous for other hunters who don't know that they're there. I saw loads of black bears and there was definately at least one griz in the area. I'd hate to be the poor guy that stumbled upon a bear on a kill.

Hanrahan
09-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Well, I'm back again and no moose this time either. Still trucks driving by at 2:00 in the morning though. And three more dead moose. Some other guys that were up there said they actually saw the truck in question. Not sure if they got a license #. Anyway, the incident has been reported. Apparantly we weren't the only ones pissed because the co said someone else has reported it too. They said they have a pretty good idea who it is and they'll "look into it" We'll see if anything comes out of it.

GoatGuy
09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Geeez,

Hope they catch 'em!

There's been trouble in that part of the country before with certain folks - hopefully the CO's will nail 'em.

kutenay
09-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Well, if it's anything like what I witnessed in remote northern BC and AB for years while employed by the two provincial Forest Services, the COs KNOW very well WHO it is AND CANNOT/WILLNOT do jacksh*t about it.

Too bad the "leaf-licker" enviros wouldn't go after THIS type of situation and put pressure on governments to END ALL special treatment regarding resource uses, rather than harass decent, law-abiding resident hunters....like that will ever happen!

A 12 ga. shotgun discharge into the night air??????

GoatGuy
09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, if it's anything like what I witnessed in remote northern BC and AB for years while employed by the two provincial Forest Services, the COs KNOW very well WHO it is AND CANNOT/WILLNOT do jacksh*t about it.

Too bad the "leaf-licker" enviros wouldn't go after THIS type of situation and put pressure on governments to END ALL special treatment regarding resource uses, rather than harass decent, law-abiding resident hunters....like that will ever happen!

A 12 ga. shotgun discharge into the night air??????

They'll go after them *if* shots are fired at night because it's a safety concern.

We have some people who the CO's are trying to catch for that very thing.

Last year they also pressed charges against one fellow for leaving an animal in the bush so not all hope is lost!

Rainwater
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I might be wrong so will stand corrected but I believe Natives are permitted to pitlamp. It happens here on the res all the time and nothing is done.

kutenay
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM
BINGO!!!!! Yup, this is part of "natural conservationists" RIGHTS......and WE pay for it!

Jelvis
09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
On the rez they can, off the rez they can't but it is being challenged in some kinda court, by some rich Lawyers like every thing else is

bruno
09-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I might be wrong so will stand corrected but I believe Natives are permitted to pitlamp. It happens here on the res all the time and nothing is done.

The "Untouchables" :cry: :cry:

Marc
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
If this is going to get into a heated debate about the natives again I'll nuke the post.

Hanrahan
09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Not my intention, as I never saw their faces and couldn't tell you if they were native or not. I know a lot of white guys pit lamp as well.

Murder
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
That is a load of BS if true. The Indians that are alive today in BC are no different than any other race. They should not have any extra right when it comes to harvesting animals. They were born and raised under the same gov't we all were. I know a lot of Indians that have absolutely NO respect for ethical hunting and fishing practices. I also know some really ethical natives. but that "right" to pitlamp garbage, as well as only taking the loins and hind quarters, really grinds my gears. Anybody here with native heritage have anything to say about this?

Murder
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM

I know a guy who has. About 10 years ago, the GF grandfather and Grandmother were on a moose hunt north of Mckenzie. The truck got stuck on the way back to camp, so they grabbed their rifles and started the 5km hike back to camp. They were walking along the top of the ridge, when a truck came around the corner about 250 yards away. Him, knowing what these guys were up to, threw the Mrs. down on the ground behind a stump, just as a round whizzed by. He layed down prone and returned fire from his .30-06, knocking out one headlight. Scary shit. They promptly left.

boonerbuck
09-27-2006, 11:47 AM
You guys are in for a big surprise when you call the authorities.

You are witnessing how the Northern Natives get their winter meat. I just got back from my moose hunt up the Skeena. Same thing and I actually have stopped to talk to them a few times just to see how the hunting has been. They are pretty tight lipped though. Treat you like an invader unless you are with someone they know and I usually am.

boonerbuck
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
whoops

I was linked this thread
didnt see it was pages long and the topic was already where it was...

kutenay
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
...treat you like an invader... yeah, I have experienced much the same thing and have developed a method of dealing with it.

BC does NOT belong to just persons of a certain race, but, as long as gutless people stand for this crap, we ALL suffer, aboriginals, native Canucks, naturalized citizens and landed immigrants. I DESPISE special "rights" for ANYONE based on race, when your ancestors came to Canada or skin hues, I always have and I ain't agonna change now.

boonerbuck
09-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I went up to babine lake area for moose and deer for 10 days on the 9th.

Not that I'm trying to weasel your spot, believe me, I have the province covered but there is a lot of country around Babine Lake. Where were you?

K-1
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
My son and I are heading up to that area (6-6) .I wondering where all this poaching was taking place. We were planing on heading in around the south end of the lake, to have a look in the 4 Mile Creek area. I f any one has any info . of this area it would be greatly appreciated as we would not want to get into the middle of a bunch of poachers.

Hanrahan
09-27-2006, 10:34 PM
We were in 6-8, chapman/fulton lake area. Don't worry about taking my spot, I won't be going back. Thinking of doing a trip up to Ft Nelson area next fall.

kutenay
09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
This is NOT intended to either stir up animosity toward any group OR to cause trouble here on HBC, but, we WILL lose our hunting rights IF we do not lobby all levels of government to STOP all special "rights' based on ANY criteria, race included.

At present, hunting in National Parks is banned except for aboriginal peoples who CAN employ other Canadians as "contractors" to guide foreign hunters to the best "trophies" available in OUR country. Is THIS fair and is it what we want?

Rainwater
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
We have a proposal for a National Park in the Similkameen. Where did you get information that Natives are guiding rich non-Canadians to game animals in National Parks. I would appreciate some evidence of this as we are in a battle over this National Park right now. Not conjecture please or heresay. Thanks alot,

MB_Boy
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
At present, hunting in National Parks is banned except for aboriginal peoples who CAN employ other Canadians as "contractors" to guide foreign hunters to the best "trophies" available in OUR country. Is THIS fair and is it what we want?

Kutenay....just trying to clear up this statement? I understand aboriginal hunting in Provincial parks.....but National? I may be misinformed.....just asking.

kutenay
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Last year, in the Vancouver Sun, there was a report on the opening of Kluane National Park in the Yukon to hunting of sheep, etc., by aboriginals; it detailed the excitment in the SCI and B&C circles in the USA as the next "world record" is sure to come from there. The aboriginals stated that they would hire a local GO to "contract" the guiding, etc. of wealthy "trophy hunters" and the OPINION given by the Sun staffer was to the effect that the prices charged for this would be substantial.

Now, IF, we are going to hunt sheep, Elk, or even frikken ardvarks in Canadian National Parks, it SHOULD be open to either ALL or NO CANADIANS, NOT restricted by race or open to foreigners who can afford monstrous fees to kill OUR game.

I have not heard how this is progressing, but, the article was clear that aboriginals CAN HUNT in National Parks, at least Kluane and certain others due to "aboriginal rights". I am adamantly opposed to "National Parks" due to being a naturalist-conservationist, wilderness advocate and believer in small government-local control.

I do not know how to access Sun files by computer, but, this was published as I say. Maybe others have also seen it?

Rainwater
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
One of the Gulf Islands National Parks was closed last year to toursists so the Natives could hunt deer. I have contacted Parks Canada and yes if it is a National Park Reserve then they can carry on all their traditional activities. I do however beleive they would not be allowed to guide people in the National Parks. I have also asked them to remove their add in the hunting regs which clearly states there is no hunting in NP's, they refuse to do so and by doing so elude a certain segment of the population who thinks parks are all fuzzy and save all the critters, Parks Canada are the biggest liars in our list of Government departments.

kutenay
09-28-2006, 02:15 PM
NOW we are getting close to what is REALLY going on....and helping the poor aboriginals has bleepall to do with it!!!!

I have good reason to be very circumspect concerninng government depts. but, my experience in such employment covered over 20 years during the period 1965-1993 and YES, there ARE "errors in mass communication", so to speak.......

The park in question here is Sydney Spit and I am VERY familiar with it; the deer involved are Cervus Dama, introduced by ENGLISH settlers many years ago....."traditional"???????

It;s a "con game" for many reasons, not least of which is the preservation of "resource-management bureaucracies. I will try to locate the article I refer to concerning Kluane, as this is a real issue, IMHO. I have NO problem with Aboriginal hunting for basic sustenance, IF, this does not endanger the given population of that species, but, hunting in BC/Canada is also OUR tradition, since Viking times, and it should be apportioned fairly.

mud-dog27
09-28-2006, 02:32 PM
i gotta agree with others on how its crap that there are special rights by what your race is and as said they grew up under the same gov't as us and nothing gets me angrier than findin an animal that has been left in the bush and only had select parts removed:evil:

GoatGuy
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
One of the Gulf Islands National Parks was closed last year to toursists so the Natives could hunt deer. I have contacted Parks Canada and yes if it is a National Park Reserve then they can carry on all their traditional activities. I do however beleive they would not be allowed to guide people in the National Parks. I have also asked them to remove their add in the hunting regs which clearly states there is no hunting in NP's, they refuse to do so and by doing so elude a certain segment of the population who thinks parks are all fuzzy and save all the critters, Parks Canada are the biggest liars in our list of Government departments.

Had a meeting with Parks Can this spring, it's only hunting for sustenance. Nothing more.