PDA

View Full Version : Hunting this week 3-19

mijinkal
10-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I've decided to take a couple sanity days off work this Thursday and Friday and am taking off hunting until Saturday night. My hunting partner can't make it and a few other guys I know can't get the time off so it's just me and the dog.
I'm planning on going up to the Paska/ Tunkwa lake area, but that might change depending on weather or animal sign. Does anybody have a report on the area?

Also, If anybody wants to join me for a day or two, shoot me a PM.

r106
10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
I drove through there yesterday and didn't see anything. found a camp that had 3 deer skins on the ground so there is game there or was LOL. Nice area though

MuleyMadness
10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
It's awful warm around here lately...probably 12C in town right now, and Tunkwa isn't at much more elevation than here right now. Paska is of course much higher, but imo, much better moose country than deer up that way. I would still give it a shot, but you might want to think about the Surrey/Sussex area for WTs (on the other side of Paska from Tunkwa) or get some elevation in the back way into Greenstone. Either way, it's an area hunted hard with October any buck hunters and Jimmy the Immy searchers, so getting out and walking, is, IMO, a must.

mijinkal
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Hmm, It's not sounding very promising. I have a nice spot to walk into, but I think your right about the temp and elevation. I'll check it out anyways.
Greenstone's a bit of a gongshow. I've dirt biked there, but never hunted. It's probably a good advantage to put a few km's on the boots.

sdurango41
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Let me know how you do and what type of sign you see in the Tunkwa area if you go there. I am heading up there late next week and hoping for some colder weather and hopefully the beginning of the rut. I have heard there has been some more muley buck sightings in 3-19 as there have been a few -6 mornings to get them moving.
good luck!!

MuleyMadness
10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Hmm, It's not sounding very promising. I have a nice spot to walk into, but I think your right about the temp and elevation. I'll check it out anyways.
Greenstone's a bit of a gongshow. I've dirt biked there, but never hunted. It's probably a good advantage to put a few km's on the boots.

The ROADS in Greenstone are a gongshow...put your boot leather to work and you will be very, very surprised. It's not as though it's tough walking either, no dead fall and lots of old, unused roads :)

Kevin So
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Hunted there last weekend, saw endless amount of Does but no bucks. Too warm? Too nice of weather? Too many road hunters? got a couple of grouse, Very warm in the day time and in the minus temp there at night and morning (-2 to -4 Cel, dog's water bowl and my water supply was frozen solid in the morning). Hoping to hunt there again during the rut, good deer activities in the area.

mijinkal
10-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Apparently the area that I was plan on hitting hard was logged heavily over the past year so I'm looking at a plan B. Greenstone might get a look.
The offer's still out there to join me. I'll drive and have a camper to sleep in, and all the necessary supplies already packed.