PDA

View Full Version : called the rapp line this morning

3kills
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
well for the first time I called the RAPP line. this mornin when headin out hunting we found a cow moose that was shot and left like fifty yards off the road some one had made a marker on the road and i seen it and was about to say some one marked something and then my sister told me to back up she thought she seen something. it was still a lil dark out so she though maybe she was seeing something so i backed up and yup dead cow moose. i called it in went hunting for the mornin came back and some one took the marker off the road but the moose was still there all bloated and was starting to stink i figured it was shot last night maybe just at dark and some one maybe thought it was a lil bull??? i dont know but it pisses me off to see something like that. i doubt anything will come of the call in to the RAPP line as they have nothing to go on with it but atleast i did what i felt was right.

ydouask
10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, I'd guess one wouldn't know if the CO " had nothing to go on" if they didn't have the opportunity to check out the crime scene asap after the incident. You deserve a pat on the back for your report. Well done !

peashooter
10-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Rat!

Just kidding, you did the right thing.

jeff
10-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Rat!

Just kidding, you did the right thing.

Id agree u did the right thing . its when its a friend your phoning on thats a different story .

mijinkal
10-24-2011, 07:49 AM
sucks to hear about these things happen. Good on you for calling it in, you never know if it'll help an investigation.

Hey, Jeff's back! I thought you got the boot?!

jeff
10-24-2011, 07:53 AM
for 10 days .and time served

Rainsford
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Agreed props to ya for doing the right thing, not always easy to do but always feels right

JAFA
10-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Rat! Just kidding, you did the right thing.

Id agree u did the right thing . its when its a friend your phoning on thats a different story .

?? so your "friend" would be allowed to walk if you knew they were poaching something ? I don't think you mean this, or do you?

J.

jeff
10-24-2011, 08:21 AM
im not going to get into this again.

peashooter
10-24-2011, 08:27 AM
If my friend was poaching:
1. He would get kicked in the bag
2. He would get a visit from C.O.
3. He would get scratched as a friend (depending on how 1&2 go)
4. I would drink all his beer

swampdonkey
10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
If my friend was poaching:
1. He would get kicked in the bag
2. He would get a visit from C.O.
3. He would get scratched as a friend (depending on how 1&2 go)
4. I would drink all his beer
Drink beer 1st then do the rest

coach
10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Good job, 3kills, for doing the right thing. All of us have a responsibility to eachother to call RAPP when we come across incidents like this. I've called twice in the last four years. Once to report a bull moose that had been shot and left in 3-12 and once for a young ram near the bottom of Bear Main that had an injured hind leg. The CO's attended the bull moose and gathered some evidence. In the case of the ram, I provided them with video. They were very pleased that I called. The CO planned to find the animal and, if necessary, have it tranquilized and treated. I don't know the outcome of either case, but felt I did what was right.

Bow Walker
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Good on you for calling it in. Feels good don't it?

masoncade1992
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
friggen poachers. i was up a dirt road in revelstoke bc a week ago and saw a dead 5 point elk on the side of the road... just plain ignorance...if you cant count dont shooot simple.

3kills
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
the way i see it if u screw up and shoot something that isnt legal at least gut it and turn urself. that way if its gutted at least the co can take the animal and give the meat to some one who needs it.

coach
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I completely agree with you, 3kills. I know someone who did this last year. He got a slap on the wrist and a thank you from the CO for self reporting and taking care of the animal. Someone in need got to eat the animal and a tough lesson was learned.

jeff
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I completely agree with you, 3kills. I know someone who did this last year. He got a slap on the wrist and a thank you from the CO for self reporting and taking care of the animal. Someone in need got to eat the animal and a tough lesson was learned.

im sorry coach but i have doubts about a slap on the wrist. your going to be fined for shooting game outa season. and your tag will be cut and on your record for life .my friends dad is a co on the island and have had many conversations with him on that subject.

coach
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
This subject got beaten to death last year, Jeff. I stand nothing to gain by making stuff up. The fact is, my friend did the right thing and the punishment was lighter than he expected. There are tons of older stories of times when punishments were heavy handed for self reporting. In the 1980's, a friends dad mistakenly shot a doe. He reported himself and wound up losing his gun, license and the animal. Times have changed. Unfortunately, in many cases attitudes toward CO's haven't.

jeff
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
This subject got beaten to death last year, Jeff. I stand nothing to gain by making stuff up. The fact is, my friend did the right thing and the punishment was lighter than he expected. There are tons of older stories of times when punishments were heavy handed for self reporting. In the 1980's, a friends dad mistakenly shot a doe. He reported himself and wound up losing his gun, license and the animal. Times have changed. Unfortunately, in many cases attitudes toward CO's haven't.

i guess that depends on wich co u run into . some are pricks with a chip on there shoulder and others can be alright. ive met a couple in fort nelson that had an absolute hard on for our group . he was border line harrasment. every day he stalked and watched us .

3kills
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
from talkin to people all over the place it always seems that the cos fresh on the job are the ones that can be real pricks they feel that they have to make a name for them selves.

coach
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree again, 3kills. All the more reason to be friendly and open with them. Seek out the older of the two (they usually work in pairs) and have a discussion with him. Ultimately, everyone gets their day in court - if things go that far.

Jeff, I have no idea how your group treated the CO's or answered their questions. Personally, I've never had a bad experience with them and always tell them it's great to see them out. Nice to know some of our license fees are going back into the resource.

3kills
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
personally i have never had a run in with the cos good or bad but then again i never give them a reason to have a run in with them either. i know the cos in town through function with the fish and game club. when i see them at function i m always polite and talk to them its good to keep a friendship there cuz one day u maybe need to deal with them good or bad.

BillBraskii
10-24-2011, 05:46 PM
for 10 days .and time served

ahhh yes i figured they let you back on because of all the stupid pm's youve been sending me.
is your keyboard on steroids???it seems to be seriously tough lol

Jagermeister
10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
You out lower Nicola way 3Kills? If so, I'm thinking someone that can traditional hunt with high-powered flashlight. Probably decided that they didn't need it afterall.

Jagermeister
10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
ahhh yes i figured they let you back on because of all the stupid pm's youve been sending me.
is your keyboard on steroids???it seems to be seriously tough lol
Walk away from it Jeffy. No harassing PMs or things like that or the moderating gods will give you banishment forever. You lost and you just have to suck it up for the time being.
Got It?

Jelvis
10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe a look by or on the road you could have found the spent cartridge and turned it in?
Or seen the tire marks or boot prints on the road side dirt or in the field etc.
Jel .. If you looked you prolly would have found the shiny brass casings ?
Just a thought Get a good strong metal detector and find the bullet take it in for rifling
csimerritt

Allen50
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
yea this will keep going on till someone gets cought, and they through the book at hin or her, or them, take away all there guns, and no hunting for the rest of your life, the ones that got cought by kissenger lake past lake cowichan got off because they could not speek english and the case was on the books for 18 and a half month, that was just crap, they had shot 3 bull elk and got away with it,, how did there lawer talk with them, they could speek english as good as anyone of us, but once it comes to court no speek english, the cos do there thing and they get off,, so if you call cos or rapp stick with it do fallow ups if you can take pic, and gps markings,, get these pochers out of the woods,, has to end somehow, you might even get in on the $2000 that they cleam if you turn in someone and there convicked, and if you have a friend that poches turn them in,, there not hunters,, there theifs,,, steeling are wildlife for there gain,, if they took your truck, quad, bike, tv, etc you would be running to the cops,, so run to the cos,, just my rant,, i ok now got this off my chest,,,,

hunter1947
10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Thats good you called this in the CO will try to find the bullet in the animal with a metal detector if they do find the bullet it just might help out latter on as evidence if they suspect someone..

3kills
10-25-2011, 08:45 AM
I have since talked to some one else that has come across this moose as well. the person I haved talked to came across it the night before at bout 6:15 and the cow was still alive well barely alive they said. she was suffering. the guy also told me he made the arrow on the road and found the brass on the road and put it with arrow and had called the CO. said the CO was goin to go out and check it out but sounded a little confused one where it was. I hope by some fluke that they can find out who this was and catch the *******s!

huntwriter
10-25-2011, 07:50 PM
well for the first time I called the RAPP line. this mornin when headin out hunting we found a cow moose that was shot and left like fifty yards off the road some one had made a marker on the road and i seen it and was about to say some one marked something and then my sister told me to back up she thought she seen something. it was still a lil dark out so she though maybe she was seeing something so i backed up and yup dead cow moose. i called it in went hunting for the mornin came back and some one took the marker off the road but the moose was still there all bloated and was starting to stink i figured it was shot last night maybe just at dark and some one maybe thought it was a lil bull??? i dont know but it pisses me off to see something like that. i doubt anything will come of the call in to the RAPP line as they have nothing to go on with it but atleast i did what i felt was right.

Unfortunately that crap happens all the time around here. How many moose did the CO's find last year? Eight! And that were only the ones they found without looking for it. There must have been at least double that number laying around in the bush nobody knew about. Shit like this makes me really mad!

Good on you for calling it in. Last year I reported a dead (shot) moose that I came across behind Helmer Lake. Never heard anything back from the CO.

Jelvis
10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
You got no response? If you found it up behind Helmer and phoned it in then who would they think is going to come forward besides you about a moose shot by mistake and left because someone shot it.
You wouldn't do it and neither would 97 percent would but the 3 percent would phone it in then if they made a stupid mistake and say they found it.
It's all in the eyes of the Beer Holder .. lol .. He says, She says til the facts r had ..
dad

3kills
10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
on my break today at work I was in line to buy a pop and I heard the two guys in front of me talking and over heard they were talkin about hunting. so I kind of listened to them a bit to see what they were sayin and they started talkin about moose that have been shot and left and what not. and the one guy says well they are getting left cuz some one shoots an immature and it has 3 points instead of two. the guy then goes on to say that they only get left like that cuz if u call it in and report ur self u will lose ur tag and get a couple hundred dollar fine. I was floored by that comment wouldnt a lost tag and a few hundred dolllar fine for turning ur self in better then what will happen to u when they catch you? by the sounds of the way the guy talked I got the impression that he shoots what he wants when he wants.