PDA

View Full Version : Hardest B&C animal to get?

BiG Boar
10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
What is the hardest animal to harvest of Boone and Crockett size?

Maybe hardest for you?

Or hardest on average to get?

What do you have to work the hardest for?

Which species would you love to harvest and have it make book?

islander7mm
10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Ruffed Grouse no question.

fireguy
10-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I only have one in B & C (Grizzly) and one going into SCI (crossbow) whenever I get it scored, and one that missed B & C by 1/8 (goat) so I would say all book animals are very difficult to get.
what one would I like to get, probably a sheep of any kind

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
My quest is a B&C Typical Mule Deer if I have to choose just one species,after that a Stone Sheep and an Elk,
as for the most difficult I'm not sure,I do find record book class Mule Deer very challenging,maybe thats what makes it so fun.
I do know that whatever I'm hunting as I get older I'm enjoying it more and more,
WF

SimilkameenSlayer
10-24-2011, 02:10 AM
CHUKAR PARTRIDGE ... very tricky!

Buck
10-24-2011, 02:24 AM
I have a BC book Mulie and would love to get a big whitetail.My list goes more by mature specimen as i would not fret about an inch or two under BC as anything near there is spectacular.These are what i would like to get.
In order:Any Ram
Goat-Have one but only 3.5 years old
Whitetail
Caribou
Elk
Grizz
Blacktail
Hardest to get may be Whitetail

Weatherby Fan
10-24-2011, 05:52 AM
I have a BC book Mulie and would love to get a big whitetail.My list goes more by mature specimen as i would not fret about an inch or two under BC as anything near there is spectacular.These are what i would like to get.
In order:Any Ram
Goat-Have one but only 3.5 years old
Whitetail
Caribou
Elk
Grizz
Blacktail
Hardest to get may be Whitetail

Whitetail was my first thought also about the toughest B&C animal to get in B.C.

.300WSMImpact!
10-24-2011, 06:33 AM
I would think in BC would be whitetail, elk would be tough too

Tikka270wsm
10-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Blacktail Deer for sure.

proguide66
10-24-2011, 06:52 AM
B&C mountain grizzly arent very easy as well any of the sheep. Guys from Dawson Crk and up might argue about the toughness of a book whitetail. I know a few residents of Buick ( past Fort St.John) who regularly pass on 165/170 bucks and have shot a 'few' 180 to 190's up there.
B&C blacktial is deffinitely a toughy.
Gotta wonder,If a guy could hunt grizzly and sheep close to their home for a few months a year like we do our deer , would getting a B&C class animal be easier??

I'm goin mountain grizzly,blacktail top two toughy's.

bearhunter338-06
10-24-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm thinking the LEH to be the hardest to get.

lightmag
10-24-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm thinking the LEH to be the hardest to get.

TRUE THAT!!! after that hmmmmm grizzly? always interesting hunting something that can hunt you !

10-24-2011, 07:51 AM
B and C Mulie and Bighorn Sheep.

Sure would like one of each !

CT

bigwhiteys
10-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Whitetail was my first thought also about the toughest B&C animal to get in B.C.

Book Whitetail are not really the toughest to get in BC... As ProGuide mentioned above. Whitetail are a definitely a challenge, but more of a time/mental challenge... Access to some private land helps!

For B&C "toughness" I'd have to say any book ram, or a book blacktail... Difficult terrain, much harder to find.

Carl

Sitkaspruce
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Blacktail, hands down and a true BT on the Island would be the toughest of all.

Cheers

SS

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Dall sheep. All time B&C is 170" and we have only 2 entered in the BC record book that would make B&C.

Add getting an LEH to that and you have a tough task ahead of you.

SSS

bcmulie
10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
The one I want the most is a NT muley, followed by any sheep.

Toughest to get in BC, I'd agree with SSS on the Dall's sheep. Next would be blacktail, as our blacktails are far smaller on average than those found in California and Oregon. That said, it's incredibly difficult to get any species in the B&C all time record book.

bcmulie

BCrams
10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Book class animals - I've probably seen more whitetails that will make it than any other species but they're usually on private property like a couple prior posters mentioned and I'd say the toughest part about getting a big whitetail is 'permission' to hunt the land they're on...the rest is a patience game and setting up in the right spot.

I'd say any species of book quality is tough work and most of us will never shoot book animals in our lifetime.

The main thing is to have fun hunting either solo or with friends and family. Often "book" animals are just taken by those out looking for meat and take the first legal animal they see......sometimes its a big one!

steel_ram
10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Dall sheep. Whitetail in the lower half.

lilhoss
10-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Cheers

SS
x2 for sure.The island holds some big blacktails,but comparatively to the mainland,Washington,Oregon,California,etc it's hard to compete.As Proguide has said,I think the proximity to where you can access areas on a regular basis,and the availabity of high caliber game will dictate the outcome of bagging a booner of any species.Having said that,living on the Island for my whole life and putting in for a rosie LEH all these years,I'm gonna say a Booner Rosevelt Elk is a close second,simply due to the "odds against" factor.

kill'erdan
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
blacktail deer.

green machine
10-24-2011, 11:12 AM
island black tail is my goal to get a b&c. hard to find really big guys. usually hang out in some pretty rough terrain.

Buck
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Book Whitetail are not really the toughest to get in BC... As ProGuide mentioned above. Whitetail are a definitely a challenge, but more of a time/mental challenge... Access to some private land helps!

For B&C "toughness" I'd have to say any book ram, or a book blacktail... Difficult terrain, much harder to find.

Carl

Yep the whitetail is more of a time ?mental challenge living here on the coast it is quite a trip to whitetail country.I have access to a ranch in Cranbrook and have spent alot of time hunting it.Keep thinking i should head to the peace as i saw a whopper during our Buffalo hunt in the Halfway.

ianwuzhere
10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
sheep or maybe elk

jml11
10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Dall sheep. All time B&C is 170" and we have only 2 entered in the BC record book that would make B&C.

Add getting an LEH to that and you have a tough task ahead of you.

SSS

I second this due to the fact it is 100% LEH with limited tags or access. Just getting the draw and finding a legal ram is hard enough, let alone 'shopping' for that booner.

JDR
10-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Not sure what the hardest is as I haven't tried all species. The one I would like would be NT mulie or any sheep.

srupp
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Dall sheep....

steven

IronNoggin
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Times TEN!
Hunted more than a little in North America, loads in BC. Still looking for a real B&C Blacktail on the Island. Tough Going for sure! That said, I find no other "task" as satisfying as The Search! :twisted:

Having said that,living on the Island for my whole life and putting in for a rosie LEH all these years,I'm gonna say a Booner Rosevelt Elk is a close second,simply due to the "odds against" factor.

Also VERY True! One day... maybe... hopefully...

Cheers,
Nog

Bowzone_Mikey
10-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I admit I dont follow B&C all that much ... but I do follow P&Y (archery) ... min score for a typical WT is 125 ... Non is 155 ...... Good buddy of mine just shot a 155 Typical WT on the weekend ..... Those that watch the Edge will see it soon ;)

That all said ... I found the hardest animal to hunt are mature Whitetails ...... they get to be mature for a reason

The Dawg
10-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I'd be happy with any animal I get making book.

I'd love a book grizzly, or sheep.

Owen Drysdale
10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Black tail deer i would say

10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I kinda suck as a hunter so they are all pretty hard!
BUT!
For me, Rocky mountain Elk Due to figuring out where they are, its hard when you only get a week to find them.
White tails. I know where to look but thoes buggers are wiley!
The hardest though and i dont mean to be "Braging" but i have hundreds of days in hunting the island over 20 years and i still dont have a good Blacktail.
Some people are great at hunting them and live in or near good locals to hunt them. I honestly think that The Island Blacktail is the craftiest bugger out there and if you chat with the guys that are great at it the amount of time they put in per animal down is more then any animal out there.

Barracuda
10-24-2011, 04:00 PM
ok just to be clear blacktail range cuts off basically west of harrisson correct?

10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
ok just to be clear blacktail range cuts off basically west of harrisson correct?

Where ever the blacktail looses its brains is where it turns to mulie country.

bugler
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Non Typical Mule deer. The minimum score is so high very few will make it. Dall sheep is another one that has a pretty high minimum standard.

d6dan
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Sitka Blacktail on the QCIslands..

mark
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I cant believe all the people that said muley or whitey????? There are lots of booner deer from BC.
Dall sheep for sure hands down!!!!!!!

IronNoggin
10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Where ever the blacktail looses its brains is where it turns to mulie country.

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/20.gif True Dat!! :twisted:

I've always thought the Blacktails on The Rock should be an entity to themselves. They certainly are different than those on the mainland!

Cheers,
Nog

Rattler
10-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Toughest = Dall sheep

Love to make book on a non typical Muley.

scottwh
10-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I think toughest for the general hunter would be cougar. I my self, by far, would like a dall sheep

hunter1947
10-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Island black tail and grizzle are my thoughts..

evhunter
10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
What is the hardest animal to harvest of Boone and Crockett size?

Maybe hardest for you?

Or hardest on average to get?

What do you have to work the hardest for?

Which species would you love to harvest and have it make book?

The hardest B&C animal to harvest would be a Jaguar! Hands down!

The toughest B&C to harvest in BC? I'd have to agree with Dall sheep.

I would love to and WILL harvest a Boone and Crockett grizzly,... as soon as that LEH comes in... F#*dge!

My least desired B&C animal? Probably a Pacific or Atlantic Walrus.

bighornbob
10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I would agree that the hardest is probably a Dall sheep. In my experience the easiest is a Rocky Mountain Bighorn:)

BHB

kennyj
10-25-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd say Dall sheep, then RM elk.
kenny

ThinAir
10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Dall sheep and or grizzly....leh/logistics are a hurdle right off the bat.

fireguy
10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Funny a lot of people are putting grizzly as one of the hardest to get, I'm batting 100% on them, perhaps I should try for dalls next and see how that turns out.
I think it boils down to what you hunt and put the time in for and sometimes a whole lot of luck plays a part. I can't say I held out for a booner griz, the one that happened to show up at the right time was just big. Placing yourself in the proper area probably helps out a whole lot as well.

dogger
10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
V.I Blacktail Deer

BCbillies
10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Funny a lot of people are putting grizzly as one of the hardest to get, I'm batting 100% on them, perhaps I should try for dalls next and see how that turns out.
I think it boils down to what you hunt and put the time in for and sometimes a whole lot of luck plays a part. I can't say I held out for a booner griz, the one that happened to show up at the right time was just big. Placing yourself in the proper area probably helps out a whole lot as well.

If that was your first grizz tag and scored on a whopper then you are lucky or good! Would be curious to know how many years you hunted them before you cut a tag. Good grizzly hunting is near my "backyard" and I have hunted them every year for the last 15 (half of those years both spring and fall) on my tag or with a buddy's tag and we've managed only two biggies. If you do something for long enough you're eventually going to find what you're looking for and even learn a thing or two. The truth is . . . if things come easy in life you tend not to appreciate them as much. :wink:

fireguy
10-26-2011, 08:40 AM
If that was your first grizz tag and scored on a whopper then you are lucky or good! Would be curious to know how many years you hunted them before you cut a tag. Good grizzly hunting is near my "backyard" and I have hunted them every year for the last 15 (half of those years both spring and fall) on my tag or with a buddy's tag and we've managed only two biggies. If you do something for long enough you're eventually going to find what you're looking for and even learn a thing or two. The truth is . . . if things come easy in life you tend not to appreciate them as much. :wink:

I will admit that I was very lucky but on the other hand I was in the right spot, had to boat in to the area and bushwack in 7km to get to where I was hunting. In other words I worked my but off and had good info on an area to hunt with very limited access and probably no hunting pressure ever. All the trophy animals I have taken over the years involved hard work and a little luck mixed together but no matter the score of the antlers, horns, or skull, they are all trophies to me that I am proud of and have great stories and memories of the hunt.

I also agree that if you do something long enough you will find what you are looking for, that goes for all animals. If you always shoot the first 2 point that you bump into in deer season you probably will always shoot small deer but then again you might get lucky and bump into a monster one day as well.

By the way it wasn't my first grizzly hunt but was my first and I deffinatly appreciate it and realize that it will probably be the biggest that I ever get.