PDA

View Full Version : Concentrated moose wintering areas ?

BlacktailStalker
10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Curious if anyone knows of where some of the larger concentrations of moose are during the winter ? Any certain areas that just generally hold more moose?
Links to maps of these areas ?
Thanks.

bear buster
10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
shed hunting starts early for you I see...lol

Mikey Rafiki
10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
sneaky, but not really!

Just found a nice moose shed from last year, pretty good color still. It was up the creek beside the old clearcut next to some hardwood.

warnniklz
10-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Sounds like an eloquent way of asking for a honey hole ah ha.

There's an area in region 5 that I know of.

emerson
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
We haven't had trouble locating moose if we walk in areas
with quad restrictions.

bearhunter338-06
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
This calls for my favored answer to these questions.

"In the bush".................:-)

masoncade1992
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Make a left tun on"no-telly-creek" lol just joking with ya, if i knew id help you out. Oh wait according to another post, that is considered"guiding" lmao

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Thinking cat hunting?

SSS

BlacktailStalker
10-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I used to hunt moose.
Now I hunt elk.
I can kill lots of moose again when I am too old to pack out elk great distances :)

I am just curious where some of the major wintering grounds they congregate at are, when you can't hunt them.
I dont want their sheds either :)
I'll figure it out, thanks.

srupp
10-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Blacktailstalker..the largest concentration I have personally seen has been between 100 and 120 moose in one location at one time , and now seen it 3 years in the same place..just North of Anihim lake..at a small lake with PLENTY of willow.....looks like a cattle feed lot...this is in late Dec/early Jan...and I have seen it from the chopper..

steven

gcreek
10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Blacktailstalker..the largest concentration I have personally seen has been between 100 and 120 moose in one location at one time , and now seen it 3 years in the same place..just North of Anihim lake..at a small lake with PLENTY of willow.....looks like a cattle feed lot...this is in late Dec/early Jan...and I have seen it from the chopper..

steven

I've found more sheds above timberline in this area than any other place although any big willow flat will hold a fair concentration of moose.
If the lake you are talking about is the next one north of Anahim, it is IR land and the rancher there usually has a few stackyards full of hay that the moose help themselves to. He also discourages the snowmobile hunters from the main Rez.
He has told me that he always figures 50 bales for the moose when calculating his hay requirements for the winter.

GoatGuy
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
If you`re looking for big cats come to the okanagan, we`ll tell you where to check. :mrgreen:

srupp
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
HM no not THAT one lol..rather not post the exact lake as these moose are very vulnerable at this time...but it definatley was crown land and the moose were in a willow flat for sure....

Good to hear someone is discouraging the FN hunting during this wintering yard survival.....not all are so inclined..

Steven