PDA

View Full Version : Great Day!

longshot
10-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Well all of our corn fields have had standing corn since the opener, so we pretty much have just been shooting a few ducks here and there out in the marsh for the past few weeks.

We did some scouting yesterday, and finally we saw one of our fields with the corn cut! We did not see any geese on the field, but since we had a major goose craving we decided to head out at the crack o' dawn today anyway.

Since the weather was so good, we decided to bring my lil' 6 year old brother out with us. He has been begging us that he wants to come... and he also has been practicing his goose calling almost daily with an old long reed.

We were all set up by 7:00, and it turned real foggy so the birds werent moving all that quickly early on... But the action started at 8:15, and we had limited out be 8:30!!! :mrgreen: Seriously, once 8:15 hit, it was continuous non-stop action!! Feet down in our face awesomness! Flock after flock after flock... they just kept coming!! Cool thing is, my brother did the majority of the calling with the ol' long reed.

The shooting was great, even with a few 2-in-1 deals mixed in. After we limited out, the birds still continued to display an amazing show for us as we ate our lunch. Absolutely love it!

Pure determination..... haha.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Oct_23_004.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Oct_23_003.jpg

Dad and Anthony...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Oct_23_002.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Oct_23_001.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the photos!

Longshot jr.

RayHill
10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Nice ones! I would love to try that out one day!

Tanya
10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Fantastic!!!! Well done Longshot Sr. and Gio Longshot., congrats on the limits, great shooting!! Super work there on the calling Anthony Longshot!! :-D

Glad to see a report in this forum. I was getting antsy as we had to work this weekend and I must live vicariously through reports on this forum :cry: until our next weekend off. I was really getting worried when there were no reports this morning of Saturday's activities.

Dano
10-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice shooting! Good to see you guys were able to bring jr. along and he was able to participate in the hunt too.

We almost limited out by 8:30 (on mallards), but we had too many birds down and the dog was going nuts chasing some of the cripples a long ways. We passed on some good birds over the decoys and when it was all said and done, we stayed until noon and brought home 15 mallards and a gadwal. Nice day, we had fog for a while also but it worked out fine for ducks because the fog wasn't too thick like last week.
Dan

Cdn-Redneck
10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
That is awsome, I started out hunting ducks as the bird dog like the little guy. Time to get back out for birds haven't done it since the mid 80's.

Bucks&Ducks
10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
great job,

isnt it nice that you can still throw up a blind in the middle of a field and still limit out, enjoy it while you can, in a couple weeks they wont be coming anywhere near a field with a blind like that in it

nano
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Nice shooting!

longshot
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
great job,

isnt it nice that you can still throw up a blind in the middle of a field and still limit out, enjoy it while you can, in a couple weeks they wont be coming anywhere near a field with a blind like that in it

Well... the blind was already taken half apart in that picture. Actually, in the morning while I set up the deeks, dad found enough full corn stocks laying around to fully wrap that open tent. By the time he was done, it looked like a patch of standing corn, and the geese certainly did not care one bit!

This is only our lazy blind setup for when we are too tired to hunt ninja style, but we use this style of blind in open fields like the one we were in today periodically all year long (...when we're lazy), including the february/march season. Only works good though if you have lots of cover to add to it to make it look like a bush or a patch stainding corn. We have had no problem shooting limits of greaters, lessers, cacklers, plus a few snows out of it right smack in the middle of the field all year long.

So either we do a good job of making it blend in... or we have some major horseshoes! haha