PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose troubles

elk300
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi guys.
I'm new to this forum but not new to duck and goose hunting. I have been hunting snows (or trying with limited results) in and around the Woodward Island/Westham area for the last couple of seasons. I always see lots of birds but can't seem to get them to decoy. When I target snows I take my full arsonal of deeks which includes 5-doz silouettes, 2 1/2doz floaters (old painted ducks) and 100 wind socks (no heads). So I have a lot of white on the ground (until the tide comes in). I have tried different locations/decoy patterns and have tried over 1/2 a dozen different types of calls over the years but can not get consistant results. Any ideas would be a great help.
Thanks,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.png
Elk300.

wos
10-23-2011, 11:38 AM
do the geese normally land where you set up your spread?

lorneparker1
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Decoying snows is pretty hard imo. Usually anything within 40 yards is usually as good as it gets in my experience.

elk300
10-23-2011, 03:30 PM
They do but only when the wind has blown them off of the Foreshore. Normaly it's pass shooting. I always see lot of sky busters that I just watch go buy without them even looking at my deeks (migrators?).

sae
10-24-2011, 07:23 PM
take your floaters out to almost open water in front of westham island for night flight , target the small groups 2/3 or singles, the big flocks have to many opinons to comitt, and do not skybust , that just sends them way out to open water....

storm
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I have to comment on Westham Island - sae - how far out are the 'almost open waters' of Westham? WTF? Almost two kilometres! Telling other hunters to go out almost two kilometres at Westham is irresponsible - the channels, tides and weather have bested more experience hunters than I am, and I've been hunting the Ladner Marsh for 25 years.

Besides, whatever happened to knocking on doors and asking permission from area farmers? The worst they're going to say is, 'No." At least you made the effort. Maybe they'll say yes next year, or the year after. Do your leg work, knock on doors, read your maps and know the weather patterns. Get to know the farmers and the area residents.

Permission is earned, not asked for in a forum setting.

Freshtracks
10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi guys.
I'm new to this forum but not new to duck and goose hunting. I have been hunting snows (or trying with limited results) in and around the Woodward Island/Westham area for the last couple of seasons. I always see lots of birds but can't seem to get them to decoy. When I target snows I take my full arsonal of deeks which includes 5-doz silouettes, 2 1/2doz floaters (old painted ducks) and 100 wind socks (no heads). So I have a lot of white on the ground (until the tide comes in). I have tried different locations/decoy patterns and have tried over 1/2 a dozen different types of calls over the years but can not get consistant results. Any ideas would be a great help.
Thanks,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.png
Elk300.

:eek: .. you're putting out set-ups of 190 birds and getting no takers? Any singles, doubles and small flights should be into you like white on rice. The large moving flocks might not be so acceptable.

One proven tip ... always try and be set up on the flight path. One can then get away with minimal deck's and have great shooting. With limited areas on the foreshore it's tough targeting birds heading to Westham Is ... as most birds will drop into the sanctuary pocket, then it won't matter the size of your deck spread ... as they'll all head right where the rest go.

Best shoots are on Westerly/NorWesterly winds. (makes for tricky/dangerous boat/punt hunting)

elk300
10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll give it another go here in a couple of weeks.

sae
10-28-2011, 08:40 PM
open water is just part of uping your game , tell that to all of the brant hunters on this forum . it is not responsible to tell others what you do when they ask for help, what they do with the info is up to them , just like any adventure there is risk, if the weather is snoty stay in the marsh.snow geese raft up at night out front in water that is deep , i should clarify open water is anywhere out to about 500 meters from the land.as for asking permision on westam you need a permit to hunt on the island,not just pheasants. use good equipment , wear a life jacket ,and read a tide book, check the weather report, this is why i never post or respond to posts

f350ps
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
open water is just part of uping your game , tell that to all of the brant hunters on this forum . it is not responsible to tell others what you do when they ask for help, what they do with the info is up to them , just like any adventure there is risk, if the weather is snoty stay in the marsh.snow geese raft up at night out front in water that is deep , i should clarify open water is anywhere out to about 500 meters from the land.as for asking permision on westam you need a permit to hunt on the island,not just pheasants. use good equipment , wear a life jacket ,and read a tide book, check the weather report, this is why i never post or respond to posts
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! Well said, I was gonna respond to the Storm comment but sometimes I can't be bothered as you obviously feel.Good luck, K

nor'wester
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
"I have to comment on Westham Island - sae - how far out are the 'almost open waters' of Westham? WTF? Almost two kilometres! Telling other hunters to go out almost two kilometres at Westham is irresponsible - the channels, tides and weather have bested more experience hunters than I am, and I've been hunting the Ladner Marsh for 25 years." YUP, 25 years...me too...limited out last time I was out in those 'perilous' waters....just about died(not)....whew. Is it challenging (channels, tides, and weather)? absolutely. is figuring it all out and connecting with a limit of snows a blast? sure is. there's a lot more extreme sports in this world (especially nowadays!!!) than hunting the foreshore of westham! if you're setting out that many dekes and not getting results you're clearly not in the right spot...like others have pointed out, forget the big flocks (unless it's HOWLING, then don't even bother with decoys just find the flightline) and concentrate on areas where you see singles and small bunches floating around...they're the suckers, especially in years where there's lots of juvies. a mature wavy is a hard bird to decoy, a juvenile has to be amongst the easiest...the fact that most juvies arrive at westham never having ever seen a person/decoy/heard a gun blast speaks for itself, however they do smarten up pretty quick;-)

sae
10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
i forgot all and i mean all of those men bested out there in that marsh were drunk idiots, all of them , been out there along time seen a lot of wet dudes all drunk . guy last week blew up his brand new weatherby 12ga , story always starts we drank beer all day and!!!!