PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting Ft St James

Tikatack
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Who's been hunting up in 7-26/27? I just came back from a hunt for my bull draw and got skunked! I had a great location on Takla but saw very little movement or moose sign and less deer sign. A number of other guys in the area had less success than I did. Had anyone had success in these units? The lack of activity makes me reconsider going back there next year. Beautiful area though. Any suggestions on getting a bull moose draw fill in 7-27?

ryanb
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Plenty of moose if you know where to look. Not very likely to get a deer in the area though.

hutch
10-22-2011, 10:39 PM
spent 8 days not far from you and got 1 moose and saw 3 other camps get theirs as well

Machinist
10-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I spent 15 days in there ( 7-26 ) , last week of Sept and first week of October , it rained really heavy for 12 of thoes days , we seen one Cow and that was it , we did get a really nice black bear though , there were several camps in there that we seen and only one camp shot a bull , really nice area but no moose , no even much sign, there was a large group in there from the island that have hunted in there for over 10 years and they told us it was the slowest season they ever had in there , also the road in was in bad shape when we pilled out , really slick and muddy from the heavy rain , lots of sharp rocks , we tor up two tires on the way out, we had three bull draws :( Oh well like they say there is allways next year .

Spy
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I was up in 7-27 & called in a nice bull!:-

I saw a few others but the rest of our group were not successful!:confused:
A couple of camps around us were successful total 9 moose in 3.5 weeks that I saw & heard of!I did see allots of Black Bears & heard plenty wolf.I saw one cow but no calves or Immatures I think predation on the young is heavy! Sorry to hear you didn't connect!
Spy:-D http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...y-Sunday-Moose Sorry link is not working check out the moose thread by Moose2 there are a couple on there im sure that came out of 7-26 7-27

VicP
10-23-2011, 10:37 AM
My buddy and I had two LEH cow draws in 7-38 and in the 12 days we only sawtwo cows and one bull moose. We were out hunting 12 - 14 hours a day, saw lotsof tracks but nothing making them. Finally when the temp dipped to -5 & -3C did we actually start to see something moving. We hunted the Ominieca riverbasin and up top of Discovery creek and saw lots of camps with nothing hangingon their poles. I did however get to cut my tag on a nice cow on Oct 14 andthen hunted hard for the next five days to fill my buddy’s LEH with no successas the weather turned warm again with no snow. I talked with a guide outfitterthat was heading out who also had no success and in his opinion and from otherlocals that we knew they were saying that the local natives were going out and shootingeverything that moved.

It's hard to say where they were as nothing was working,calling was nonexistent and the only things making noise were the ravens andsquirrels.

All said we did get something and we were prepaired for the road as last year we lost a tire to the gravel road.

takla1
10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I also hunted in 7-27 for our anual hunt.10 days rained all 10 of them,sept 22 to oct 3.First morning out called in a bull,he had 3 cows with him and was 300 yrd down hill from me moving.I got him to stop long enough for a shot but he was in amonst 6 ft willows and must of got a deflection on my bullet.No blood,spent 4 hrs in the rain looking for sign at his last location and nothing.Next morning my son and i called in another bull in the same spot,loner this time with a smaller rack.my son got off 3 shots at him,250 yds.Same result...no blood and he heard him crash into the bush and off he went.We had a cow balling every day in the afternoon right by our camp but we couldnt flush her and her boyfriend out of there,willows 20 ft high.it was a tuff hunt.We have taken lots of bulls out of this area over the yrs,but all or cut blocks have grown in soo bad that the moose arent using them much anymore and there getting harder to see.oh well had fun anyway's next up blacktails!

BrowningWSM
10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Was successful on our group hunt in 7-26 got 2 bulls in second week of october. Camped beside us got there mature bull. The camp before us was a group of 10 or so and heard of another 3 bulls taken. Closer to Inzana Lake there was another 2 bulls outta there. Sorry to hear no luck, till next yr.

walks with deer
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Spent 14 days there saw lots of moose the first day was holding out for a big one then it started raining saw the odd cow then day 12 got a huge bull that was running away and up hill took him between the shoulder from above tough hunt but 1 of 3 tags filled I agree very little visibility.

Machinist
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I am glad to hear that some of you fellows had sucess in there , We hunted really hard for our 15 days in there not much of a lesurely holliday but it was good to get out none the less , we were camped at Kloch lake and we hunted the surrounding area , we did make one trip into inzanna lk , and a loop on the 500 road as well.