PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 elk season

mark
10-22-2011, 08:47 PM
2011 has been one of the toughest elk years Ive ever had.
Me and my buds did tons of preseason scouting, shed hunting, t-cam work, exploring new areas etc...
I found dozens of nice sheds, but this shed held by my nephue was the best I scored last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/fawn_pics_009_Small_.jpg
We had lots of t-cams out, in some very remote places, we never got a pic of another hunter, but we got lots of nice bulls on the cams like this one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_t-cam_004_Small_.jpg

I spent nearly every day hiking mountains, some remote, steep, thick bush places, did several trips to other areas and saw some great bulls.
In one of my best places, I came to a spot where 2 big bulls had done battle, the ground was beat up pretty good, I looked down and found this!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/8_lug_tires_006_Small_.jpg
Ive got 3 sheds from 340 class bulls, this eyeguard is larger than all of them.....I really wanted to find the bull that lost this, or better yet the bull that did this to him!
All the sign told me there was some big bulls nearbye, but the elk either wernt calling, or they wernt coming to calls???????

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_007_Small_.jpg
&

mark
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
On one of my hikes into the area I killed my 2010 bull, I found this sad sight.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_008_Small_.jpg
I estimate its been sitting there for 2 years, although in perfect condition!
Not the slightest chip off any tine or the tiniest chew from a rodent????

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_017_Small_.jpg
Oh yeah, also found that whitey shed that day.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_016_Small_.jpg
No idea what killed this bull, all his bones were right there, no sign of a bullet hole.
If it were another bull, Id sure like to meet him someday!
Of course I took these pics and left it in the bush to visit again someday! :wink:

mark
10-22-2011, 08:59 PM
The last sunday of the season, was the last day for one of my hunting buds as he had used up his days off.....
That morn he said "lets lay one down today" I had action all day, while he had none.
He had just sent me a text saying he'd be back at the truck in an hour......at that moment I had 2 bulls in my glass at 50-75 yards.....a 5x5 I watched rake a tree for 45 minutes nonstop, and a larger one that would never let me get a count on him.....

I was a little late getting out, so I gave him a call, when he said "im gonna need a little help"
Turns out, 400 yards before the truck he ran into this guy tailing a couple cows!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_004_Small_.jpg
Not a giant bull, but a very cool 7x8 charactor bull. Was a great way to wrap up his last 15 minutes of elk hunting for the year!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_hunting_006_Small_.jpg
The minute I saw this bull, I said, holy crap, this is bizzare but I think I found this bulls shed....YESTERDAY!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_sheds_001_Small_2_.jpg
I found this shed the day prior, about 5 miles away from the bull killed....as you can see the "double eye guard like tines" coming off the #1 was what triggered my thought, but closer examination revealed its not the same bull.

The closest I got to pulling the pin this year was on a 340ish herd bull with 15 cows. I could of shot him in his bed before I was able to count all points, when he stood up i saw the awesome rack, but he was shielded by cows and never presented an ethical shot.
I hunted hard to the last hour, over the season, I saw 9 bulls in my glass, had scream fests with many bulls, more close calls than I can count, but the stars never aligned for me.

BTW if anyone knows someone that shot the bull missing the big eye guard, let me know!
Maybe Ill get his sheds and re-unite the tines!!!

OK Im done.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice find of the elk antlers.

Brett
10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
no pics Mark.

nice find!

bull has crazy eye guards!

Brambles
10-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Sweet, glad you guys were able to get one down.

Lillypuff
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Sweet thanks for all the posts Mark. Man do you work(lol)?

JDR
10-22-2011, 09:43 PM
It was a tough year, Mark. I heard of far fewer bull sightings and fewer bulls being harvested, at least in this area. Great pics and congrats to your buddy on his bull. Sounds like you have the areas pegged for future success.

dave_fras
10-22-2011, 10:05 PM
nice work!!!... but really... do u work? haha

mark
10-22-2011, 10:09 PM
nice work!!!... but really... do u work? haha

Theres only 2 seasons in my world, one is working season, the other is hunting season.....guess which one it is now!

uraarchr
10-22-2011, 10:31 PM
nice bulls.

patdel
10-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow Mark! Looking at the sheds you found, the pics you got from the trail cams and all the elk you did see this year I would call this a very exciting year pursuing those tough Okanagan elk. Plus the fact that your partner was able to drop that cool looking bull on the last day is awesome! Congrats! You sure know your elk areas here and cant wait for your deer stories to come in the next month. Wild find on that bull skull too, possibly died from fighting another bull?

coach
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
As always, great posts and pictures, Mark. Thanks for sharing your elk season with us. Looking forward to your mule deer and whitetail posts.

ELK Seeker
10-22-2011, 10:40 PM
wooo eeee!! them are some beautiful sheds and a dandy bull. Thx for the great pix

kennyj
10-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey Mark. Thanks for the run-down on your elk season. Sounds like a great season to me. Lots of action and experience. Just a matter of time before you drop a monster. Great photos and sheds. What did the shed your nephew is holding score? Looks huge.
kenny

Wrayzer
10-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a great season you guys had, too bad you didnt drop one, tough year for lots of guys, just means next year could produce some decent bulls! Time to go get a hog Muley.

Rattler
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Congrats to you and your buddy on a last minute bull. Sounds like you had a good season. I never heard one elk bugle this fall - I just got lucky and found one in a block.

Sitkaspruce
10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Nice recap Mark

Great character bull for your buddy.

Thanks for the post

Now off to chase deer????

Cheers

SS

rudysteelhead
10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Sure is neat to get something like those sheds if the season doesn't turn out the way you like. Great pictures Mark, thanks for posting and we can't wait to see what you put on the ground in November. Best of luck.

d6dan
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice bull Mark!:-D. Just was talking to my Bro this morning and he wondered how you were doing.Now I'll have to fill him in. Congrats on a last day Bull.

mark
10-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow, nothing like laying the pressure on me for my deer season eh guys....

Nice bull Mark!:-D. Just was talking to my Bro this morning and he wondered how you were doing.Now I'll have to fill him in. Congrats on a last day Bull.

The whole season here I was kinda missing my peace area hunt, but I heard it was a tough year up there as well?????
Do say hi to Mike for me, I do miss our annual bullshit session!

srupp
10-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Well done Mark..some exceptional elk antlers there...love the T cam photo..you did put in the time..and the effort.....its never a swing and a miss with you..always learning and moving on and up..

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it

steven

10-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Very cool character on that bull !

congrats Mark !!

CT

10-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Neat bull!

ianwuzhere
10-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Great pix!! too bad ya didnt get the before n after on that tcam bull.. Nice character bull!!!, congrats!!!

Tank
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Great season, Mark! A kill is just the icing on the cake when it comes to elk, all the fun is in the chase.....

BlacktailStalker
10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Good unfolding of events there, nothing wrong with covering major ground and learning it that much better for the future.

Caveman
10-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Very cool Mark! Busted your ass again, eh Buddy! Still a great adventure with plenty of experiences. Great find, awesome character bull, look out OK Mulies it"s your turn! :wink:

Call of the Wild
10-23-2011, 09:46 PM
That's a cool bull with character, I love it. Quite a season you had with nice sheds and the trail cams. I hope you get one next year but bigger!!!

avadad
10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the update Mark. Always enjoy reading about your adventures. Best of luck with the rest of your season.

moosinaround
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice way to finish Mark! I find playing with those bulls is a riot. Bring on those OK deer eh!! Good hunting, and can't wait for your Mulie/Whitie Adventure!! Moosin

budismyhorse
10-24-2011, 08:46 AM
great pics Mark, nice little patch you have there! Cheers

Rodd
10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Great Bull guys!! Congrats!! Definately a unique rack their!!

trigger
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
awesome season. you cant kill an elk every year i guess. any deer hunts planned for later?
thanks for sharing. some great photos

steepNdeep
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Pppersistence! Nicely done hombre...

I think that broken tine may have been the bull in my avatar. He lost his passenger side G2...

I heard that you & Dave were up in the hills counting trucks opening week. ;)

mark
10-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Pppersistence! Nicely done hombre...

I think that broken tine may have been the bull in my avatar. He lost his passenger side G2...

I heard that you & Dave were up in the hills counting trucks opening week. ;)

Hey Steep, yer inbox is full.......Lets see a close up of your elk, was it from this year???? Okanagan bull???

Yup camped up a WK drainage Dave figured no-one would think about hunting.....counted around 50 rigs incoming all night long before the opener......would of been a great spot for a mobile timmy's!

moose2
10-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice thread Mark. It has a bit of everything to do with bull elk in it ( sheds, TC pictures , a pick up rack and finally a harvested one ) Nice elk you guys got congratulations.
Mike