PDA

View Full Version : Any Region 8 WT does still alive?

sapper
10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
In my quest to get meat in the freezer we are considering a trip back into region 8 for a WT doe. We had no luck connecting with muley bucks or WT does in 8-8 the last two weekends but are thinking of trying other MU's in region 8 next weekend before the antlerless WT and any buck season ends.
So, here's my question for those of you wandering around in those areas... are there any whitey does left and would you like to offer some suggestions as to where to head? We're considering a trip to the Rock Creek area.
Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not have the entire LML descend on your favourite area. :wink:

Gunner
10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Considering that probably 60% of them live on private farmland,and won't ever be hunted there should still be a few around :mrgreen: I know there's still plenty in my back yard,I don't doubt there's the odd one around Rock Creek. Good luck,Gunner

Wrayzer
10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Had a group of 5 today at about 20 yards, not on my list for the year to shoot so let them walk, all up about 4500'.

rainman
10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
shouldnt be too hard to find a doe,get off the road and hit the bush

dakoda62
10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
saw a dozen or so Trapping creek area over 3 days

boxhitch
10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
The other 40% are on the hills and if they aren't in 8-8 then that must be the only mu without.
With all the road traffic they may not be standing out but they haven't left the area either.
Look more, move less

sapper
10-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Boxhitch, that is not to say we didn't come close on a few bucks. The one we found was a little too early in the day when it was not quite legal light and so we passed. We didn't see any whitetails though. We were on the hills, hence all the muleys, but not a single whitey. Maybe it was just the particular part of 8-8 we were in (in and around Trout Creek off the Princeton-Summerland Rd.)

boxhitch
10-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Check out what is the actual legal times, you will be surprised. If you can see it, it is time.

Aside, I hope everyone in reg 8 is whacking a WT this year, just on principles.
Saw a buck today where I have never before seen WT
Waited for a doe, but none showed.

buckboy007
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
try the princton area heard of lots been seen out there

SimilkameenSlayer
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
yes, Princeton region 8 -7.

huntersam
10-23-2011, 07:39 PM
everywere around big white

aggiehunter
10-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Boxhitch, What principles would you be applying when suggesting everyone kill a wt doe in Region 8?

fireguy
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
No deer in 8 - 8 at all, they all went to 8 - 10 for a holiday I think

hillclimber
10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
heading to the princeton area this coming weekend. I am looking for the elusive whitey doe. Was thinking Copper creek area sunday creek or a bit further north like whipsaw or????. Am I wasting my time in these areas or no? If someone wants to tie one up for me this weekend send me a PM:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Boxhitch, What principles would you be applying when suggesting everyone kill a wt doe in Region 8?

The principle is to shoot off all the does so that BOW ONLY hunters don't get any in the late season.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
to keep the mule deer populous going! those whites are real breeders ...

Ambush
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
The principle is to shoot off all the does so that BOW ONLY hunters don't get any in the late season.

Do you mean "bow only" hunters or "only" bow hunters.

boxhitch
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
They are there for the taking, and make good table fare. No hunter should go without this winter.
Like trapping rats, everyone should do their share.

Gunner
10-23-2011, 08:46 PM
In this neck of the woods there are far more whitetails than a bad winter will allow to survive.You can't control the population by only taking bucks.The number of does being taken is not enough to keep the numbers down either,as almost every doe around here is packing twins in the spring.Do the herd a favor and take a dry doe. Gunner

coach
10-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Those would be the principles of science based game management. Probably contradictory to your personal agenda of social based management - but better for game populations. BTW - I'm saving my whitetail doe until the lengthy late bow season.

Fisher-Dude
10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Do you mean "bow only" hunters or "only" bow hunters.

You say potato I say potAto.

How about "only BOW ONLY" hunters?

Ambush
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
How about "only BOW ONLY" hunters?

Dang! There goes my late season doe hunt. Will you lend me your Savage?

Gunner Staal
10-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I just ate my first steaks from my WT doe tonight. Unbelievable. I will enjoy all 71 pounds of it. Took the wife out in the Beaver Lake/Postill area the last two days and saw only 4. They all waved bye bye before she could crack a shot. They are pushed deep in that region. If you were hunting around Trout Creek before, try Darke Lake near Summerland. Its thick in there and but there is a healthy WT population. Princeton Summerland Road is gonna net you mainly mulies right now. On another note, the mule doe are starting to show in good numbers in my late season winter range spot. Surprised they are showing up already despite the warm weather. Even mother nature cant stop the need to breed. Couple more weeks till it gets hot and heavy.

Phreddy
10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Saw a few up by Silver Lake out side Peachland last weekend. Wasn't hunting so didn't really look all that hard.

sapper
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the various suggestions. The hunting buddy I was going to be heading out with just realized he has family commitments this weekend. Now I'm just trying to decide between a solo hunt in region 8 (as originally planned) or heading to the Island to hunt bucks over there with another friend. Truth be told I just want whatever is going to net me the best results.

igojuone
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Shot one in 8-10 on Sunday only to find it had a pecker and knobs for antlers, it was running with 2 does. Good luck.

starmachinist
10-25-2011, 05:32 PM
got a wt doe the weekend before last from the Rock Creek area but it was the only one I saw. Saw 6 muley does but no bucks.

RoadKing
10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Shot one in 8-10 on the weekend as well. Decent meat doe.

Gunner
10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I saw 1/2 a dozen this morning up the hill behing the house.If I'm going to do the dirty deed I'll wait til the last couple of days :mrgreen: Gunner

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Had a 4 pack of New York steaks on the BBQ from my WT doe the other night - good stuff! About as tender as it gets!

jackychiles
10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen a WT doe this year yet. I know it is sad. I have been trying to get my 75 year old dad one and it isn't working well. That and the 12 deg weather making it feel like summer. I am going to take him out again this weekend and try to put him in a area. Hopefully one comes out for him.

GoatGuy
10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Wt are pretty cryptic. They won't stick near the roads, won't stand around and wait for the fireworks once the pressure is turned on. Best thing to do is get off the road, get on the downwind side of a cut or a trail or two and sit.

Buck
10-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Wt are pretty cryptic. They won't stick near the roads, won't stand around and wait for the fireworks once the pressure is turned on. Best thing to do is get off the road, get on the downwind side of a cut or a trail or two and sit.

I agree sit and wait and don't blink.

Pre '64
10-27-2011, 01:22 AM
to keep the mule deer populous going! those whites are real breeders ...

You can't stop the Whitetail, it's evolution.

-SEAN
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Last weekend we saw 3 white tail doe's up around tulameen, But olny had muley tags.

matt420
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
TONS IN REGION 8-12 by beverdell and in 8-10 near kelowna!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been seeing a ton of them and not on private land cuz there is not very much of it, im not takin one this year simply cuz i have already shot 3 bucks this year so im all tagged out

d6dan
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Counted over 65 Wt's in one field, the evening I shot my buck in Grand Forks. Most of those deer live in the USA and come over the fence (duel citizens), to munch on spuds and Rye fields. Private land of course.

sapper
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey D6Dan - My hope is not to drive as far as Grand Forks, especially not just for 2 days. I know what you mean though there are lots there and most seem to prefer farmer's fields or the city limits.
Somewhere between Hope and Princeton was more what I was hoping. Sadly, at present, the freezer is empty of any non-hormone injected meat. I was skunked last season on the only two hunts I was able to get out on and this season my two hunting weekends have been full of great memories but unfortunately have not netted any meat.
And Pre-64 I'm trying my darndest to fight the WT/muley evolutionary battle. :)

d6dan
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Sapper, maybe next year I'll show you a few areas to hunt, but you have to go when I'll be there. 2 days suck for hunting especially when you need the meat. Keep in touch..

coach
10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Sapper, the season is far from over. Let me know if you can make it to the Kelowna area. My prior offer of showing you some spots is still there. Although I haven't targeted whitetails yet this year, I've done pretty well finding mulie bucks. I took a friend out yesterday. He connected on a nice meat buck and we saw a few others.

sawmill
10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
You should be here,nothing but does.We saw 22 last Saterday in 30 minutes,wife took a nice big dry doe,we were home by 8:30 A.M.

sapper
10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Sawmill. I'm not sure that the 10-12 hour drive (each way) in one weekend coupled with the associated fuel costs make the trip a smart idea. I mean, I'm not quite that desperate. :)

PeachlandHunter
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
nope nothin here try the yukon possibly lol

jackychiles
10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I spent the day out hunting up by Rendal and must have hiked.....jeeze it was a long day. I only saw 7 WT and couldn't get a shot off at any. I only really had a remote chance at 3. They were all soooooo spooky. A lot of work for a day of few rewards. Thats hunting I guess.

bandit
10-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Spent a day exploring 3-19, first time in that MU. Only saw one deer all day, a WT doe at 5 mins before last shooting light. Its currently hanging in the garden shed.

GoatGuy
10-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I spent the day out hunting up by Rendal and must have hiked.....jeeze it was a long day. I only saw 7 WT and couldn't get a shot off at any. I only really had a remote chance at 3. They were all soooooo spooky. A lot of work for a day of few rewards. Thats hunting I guess.

Gotta sit Mr.G!

Wt's are far too cryptic to be hiking around bush country and expecting to get a shot off.

bighornbob
10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Gotta sit Mr.G!

Wt's are far too cryptic to be hiking around bush country and expecting to get a shot off.

Went out last night to set up my trail cam on a trail and jumped a whitey. It headed toward the road and I went after it but never saw it. I got my camera set up and since there was only about a half an hour left of good shooting light, I sat down against a tree (like turkeys hunters do) over looking where the doe went and I could also see the trail junction. I was just about done my first Rocket package (Halloween candy:):) ), when I heard a truck driving down the road. As the truck got within site I saw two does running from just inside the trees toward me. The deer stopped about 30 yards from the road and watched the truck zoom by (if they had been driving slower they would have seen the does). Then the does started walking toward me. When the big doe realized that I did not look right, it was already too late. A 30 yard neck shot put her down and it was only a 30 yard drag to the road.

Like others have said for whiteys it best to just sit and wait.

BHb

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
When the big doe realized that I did not look right, it was already too late. BHb

What took her so long? First time I saw you, I said "That boy don't look right." :D

Congrats on the great eats, BHB. Give the udder to SSS for soup, he needs some protein with his tags.

blindcast
10-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Just got back from 8 with a md and wtd. Sure, lots of deer down in the farm fields where they're half tame. Lots up in the bush too though. Surprisingly high up, along the edges of clear cuts. You really need to get off the road and work the edges real slow. Saw about a dozen on my last afternoon, plus a mulie buck (tag already cut). Area between Rock Creek and Midway's pretty good. Whitetails are skittish and they're gone the minute they hear a truck. You've got to walk to get one.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
What took her so long? First time I saw you, I said "That boy don't look right." :D

Congrats on the great eats, BHB. Give the udder to SSS for soup, he needs some protein with his tags.

Hey, I'm not adverse to "pity meat"(especially this year)....but I might have to draw the line with whitetail boobies. Your comments are udderly ridiculous;-).

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2011, 06:12 PM
We saw a few does with fawns today as we were looking for immies. Then we stopped for lunch, and Anytail walked up in the cut to take a look over a ridge. Somehow, I set my truck alarm off, and as we're yelling at each other across the cut about the alarm, the commotion pops a WT buck out of his bed, and Anytail cuts his last deer tag.

Yeah, you gotta WALK if you're gonna find a WT! :mrgreen:

jonz
10-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Only 2 wt I saw today were from on foot but they were too fast.

sapper
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks to all those who responded with news of your successes. Apparently there were some region 8 WT does still alive. There are fewer now thanks to your successes. :) Congrats to all of you. My quest now moves on to WT bucks or 4 point muleys.

sapper
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
We saw a few does with fawns today as we were looking for immies. Then we stopped for lunch, and Anytail walked up in the cut to take a look over a ridge. Somehow, I set my truck alarm off, and as we're yelling at each other across the cut about the alarm, the commotion pops a WT buck out of his bed, and Anytail cuts his last deer tag.

Interesting technique. Has the rut started? Maybe the buck thought it was a hot doe calling for some action.