PDA

View Full Version : Advice/ Question

Rusty
10-22-2011, 11:40 AM
My son when a minor did his Firearms course.
Passed, took the paperwork to fish and game and recieved his Hunter number, then went to pickup his hunting licence.
Now he is an adult he lost his paperwork needed to apply for PAL
We went to contact the instructor for copies? but he has passed away.
He called Firearms canada and they have no record of him passing the course.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

BearStump
10-22-2011, 11:44 AM
sounds like he's SOL. withot his paperwork. Gonna have to re-do the course. Unless the deceased instructors wife has his paperwork, and files still.

curt
10-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Bearstump sounds about right to me however a positive note is he can challenge the tests you dont have to do the full lenght course.

r106
10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
My son when a minor did his Firearms course.
Passed, took the paperwork to fish and game and recieved his Hunter number, then went to pickup his hunting licence.
Now he is an adult he lost his paperwork needed to apply for PAL
We went to contact the instructor for copies? but he has passed away.
He called Firearms canada and they have no record of him passing the course.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Not to come off like a A-hole but are you sure he took his Firearms course and not just his CORE. The paper work for a hunting license and pal are different.

Sorry if I miss read

BearStump
10-22-2011, 01:52 PM
however a positive note is he can challenge the tests you dont have to do the
full lenght course

good luck finding an instructor that will do this.
I work on a daily basis with a 9mm on my side and still couldn't find an instructor that would let me challenge the test for my restricted PAL. had to sit painfully through the whole 12 hrs with a group of people who hadn't ever handled a pistol in thier life. Oh well its only 12 hrs of my life.

vortex hunter
10-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Rusty .. I challenged my PAL if you live around the lower mainland I can hook you up with buddys contact info ...vortex

MikeH
10-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Dont see why not able to challenge PAL I did in 99 just before it was law.Just remember Rusty keep your copies of the test always if you ever lose them hooped!Firearms Centre has no record.I miss placed mine phoned centre ask if they had copies and just reissue it cause it had expired.Told me had no record told me "you'll have to redo course" I said fvck that! I ended up finding my copy and getting reissued.

Rusty
10-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I appreciate all your responses! Thanks.

XMD70
10-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm a PAL examiner. Instructors are obligated to keep PAL records for 5 years. They also send one copy of the PAL records to the CFP Central Processing Site in Miramichi. Miramichi can be contacted to see if they still have the records sent by the instructor. On the other hand, the clock starts ticking as soon as the exams are done. If a person waits for 5 years before submitting an application, they will need to do the tests over. On the bright side, most instructors should offer the opportunity to challenge the tests for a nominal fee. I charge $25. for challenges, it usually takes about an hour to complete everything.